Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 05:26 PM

43 posts, read 194,574 times

Advertisements

Please - when you make an appointment to show a home to your client and you are going to be late, 1/2 hour, 1 hour, 2 hours, or have decided not to show the property at all, CALL the sellers and tell them! Our house has only been on the market 3+ weeks and the 1st showing was a no-show, since then I've had realtors not show at all, or were extremely late and didn't call; I had to call them. They'd say they were running terribly late, would eventually show up, or weren't coming at all, because they misjudged how long the showings were taking. Now some of us are standing in the middle of the room not wanting to sit on the couch, for fear of messing it up, or waiting to take the dog out, so he won't track any dirt back into the house, let alone forgoing showers, breakfast, dinner, feeding the animals or children or ourselves, or holding off on an important phone call, waiting for the realtor to arrive. I work at home, so I can't wander the streets for hours on end. Actually, now I don't leave the house until the realtor shows. I have been on the other end as a buyer, quite recently in fact, and our agent ALWAYS called the seller, if we were running so much as 10 minutes behind. She would call, apologize, and ask if it was still convenient to show the house. We all understand delays -- I've been a realtor, seller, and buyer. You need to factor in time at each house, travel time, possible delays, and then you throw in some more wiggle room. I don't live in a major city, so the realtors who are 1-2 hours behind schedule, either are lousy at Math, or everyone has stopped to shop or eat.

So, please show some consideration to the sellers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 06:19 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,732,975 times
I suggest you tell the agents who are late that you are not happy that they didn't show, or were late and didn't call. If you don't have their number or don't see them, then tell your agent to pass the word along to them that you are unhappy.

You can also have your agent get the brokers name and number of each of the agents, and call the broker to lodge a complaint.

All of the regular real estate professional contributors on this forum would always use common courtesy. You'll have better success by lodging a complaint directly against the offenders, and especially to their brokers.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,025 times
Default No-show and tardy showings

I echo the last agent's response. Common courtesy would dictate informing the sellers about any changes in plans as soon as they occur. Calling the agent's broker is one way in which to help influence this behavior. Your post is a good reminder to all of us to mind our own behavior in these situations. Best of luck in selling your house!

Old 02-16-2008, 05:11 PM

11,815 posts, read 34,298,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1996 View Post
We all understand delays -- I've been a realtor, seller, and buyer. You need to factor in time at each house, travel time, possible delays, and then you throw in some more wiggle room. I don't live in a major city, so the realtors who are 1-2 hours behind schedule, either are lousy at Math, or everyone has stopped to shop or eat.
We don't call Seller's directly in Denver, we all the listing office or showing service to set up an appt. to show. Sometimes I have called the office to cancel, and they were too busy or it was after hours...I do the best I can with what resources I have.

Most often it's the buyer, not the showing agent. The Buyer was late, the buyer decided not to see this house, the buyer decided to stop for coffee, the buyer decided that the kids are too hot/wet/tired/hungry to proceed. Sometimes they find the perfect house and we write an offer right then and there.

I have gotten that irate listing broker call the next day. That just tells me I don't need to work with those people.

Plan on 1 no show for every 5 or 7 showings, it's not personal, it's a part of the process.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:50 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,487,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Plan on 1 no show for every 5 or 7 showings, it's not personal, it's a part of the process.
It's unfortunate and it's reality.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:07 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,875,476 times
This happened to me yesterday. I was showing a buyer from out of town a lot of properties (I hate doing that but had to). Some of the homes were empty, some occupied. I thought I had gone to all the occupied properties to get them out of the way and let the owners go on about their day but missed one. The listing agent called..thank goodness...and I explained the situation and that we would be there right away. I apologized profusely. Sometimes it just happens.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:15 PM

353 posts, read 1,723,930 times
Most of us do keep the seller informed when we get a "no show" or if we are running late.

But, remember, you have your home up for sale and I'm assuming that you would like to sell it. . . . . .so you may have to put up with some aggravation along the way.

When the Realtor calls to make an appointment to show your home, explain to her/him that you work from home and would appreciate a phone call if the showing time is going to change. Courtesy works both ways!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,568,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1996 View Post
Please - when you make an appointment to show a home to your client and you are going to be late, 1/2 hour, 1 hour, 2 hours, or have decided not to show the property at all, CALL the sellers and tell them! Our house has only been on the market 3+ weeks and the 1st showing was a no-show, since then I've had realtors not show at all, or were extremely late and didn't call; I had to call them. They'd say they were running terribly late, would eventually show up, or weren't coming at all, because they misjudged how long the showings were taking. Now some of us are standing in the middle of the room not wanting to sit on the couch, for fear of messing it up, or waiting to take the dog out, so he won't track any dirt back into the house, let alone forgoing showers, breakfast, dinner, feeding the animals or children or ourselves, or holding off on an important phone call, waiting for the realtor to arrive. I work at home, so I can't wander the streets for hours on end. Actually, now I don't leave the house until the realtor shows. I have been on the other end as a buyer, quite recently in fact, and our agent ALWAYS called the seller, if we were running so much as 10 minutes behind. She would call, apologize, and ask if it was still convenient to show the house. We all understand delays -- I've been a realtor, seller, and buyer. You need to factor in time at each house, travel time, possible delays, and then you throw in some more wiggle room. I don't live in a major city, so the realtors who are 1-2 hours behind schedule, either are lousy at Math, or everyone has stopped to shop or eat.

So, please show some consideration to the sellers.
What about realtors who don't even close up the home properly.....? That on top of showing up late of not at all or call back if you leave a message...

Old 02-18-2008, 07:50 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,568,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghREA View Post
Most of us do keep the seller informed when we get a "no show" or if we are running late.

But, remember, you have your home up for sale and I'm assuming that you would like to sell it. . . . . .so you may have to put up with some aggravation along the way.

When the Realtor calls to make an appointment to show your home, explain to her/him that you work from home and would appreciate a phone call if the showing time is going to change. Courtesy works both ways!
I don't get what you are saying. How can it work both ways if the seller is showing the home and the realtor show up late? What did the seller do wrong? is 5 or 6% not enough to give some respect to give a call.....

Old 02-18-2008, 10:26 PM

70 posts, read 299,904 times
Sorry about your inconveniences... a lot of that can be avoided by better planning on our part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals