U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:17 PM

48,301 posts, read 35,155,331 times

Advertisements

In general the Realtors with the most listings are listing machines. They do not do their own CMAs. They position themselves as the CEO of a team and it's their job to sell the team to the home owner. In most cases, the only time the seller will hear from them again, once the listing agreement is executed, is if the Realtor wants a price adjustment or has an offer. Everything else is delegated.

It's a very effective strategy for them. What it really comes down to is effectiveness. Not sure it should matter to the seller, if the job gets done.

Having said this, I am a solo agent and yeah, that's me in the office at 10:00 P.M. making up another batch of brochures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 05:10 AM

330 posts, read 1,211,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I would never hire a real estate agent who uses an assistant. We tried that one time and what a disaster that was. When I hire an agent I expect them to do the work required, that I'm paying them to do, and not push off the work to an assistant. If I wanted the assistant, I would hire the assistant.
An agebt has a fidicuary duty to their client, which means they are expected to do all the paperwork, calls, showings, etc for the commision they are being paid for. I do not want to be sitting around waiting for an assistant to call me with questions or other things that the agent is supposed to be doing. Buyers won't deal with assistants, neither will I.
Seems to me if an agent uses a assistant they are just plain lazy.
I am biased because I am an assistant, but I think an assistant helps so that the agent can actually do what it takes to bring a buyer or seller to the table. I am actually one of two assistants.

My broker is on the phone or out showing properties every day, he is a very strong, persistant yet personable salesman, he knows his stuff and his name/reputation and success is why people continue to come back to him. He has former customers/friends walking in everyday just to shoot the breeze and talk because he usually knows everything going on in and around the island.

He has almost 80 listings at this time and we have 3 properties closings in the next 2 weeks alone ($4M, $3.65M & $2.6M - who said SW Florida real estate is DEAD??) it would be very hard to handle all the paperwork (inspections, insurance, appraisers, repairs, etc) for the closings and handle the surge of buyers / sellers for his properties. Not all sales here are listed, many pocket deals, so it is mostly relationships and negotiating that bring his deals together.

crawling back into my hole...

Old 02-14-2008, 05:16 AM

330 posts, read 1,211,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Having said this, I am a solo agent and yeah, that's me in the office at 10:00 P.M. making up another batch of brochures.
LOL, that is so funny... Look at me 6am... I have 3 kids to get ready for school and check email, etc... Real Estate is all hours of the day and night...

Old 02-14-2008, 01:45 PM

48,301 posts, read 35,155,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peaches2oranges View Post
LOL, that is so funny... Look at me 6am... I have 3 kids to get ready for school and check email, etc... Real Estate is all hours of the day and night...
Oh yeah.

Solo agents sell their hands on and personal service. Team leaders sell the power of the team. Both are equally capable of defending the value of their approach.

Some clients have a strong preference to deal with one person, the agent they hired. Others are open to a team thing. Both are effective if the client and agent approach are in synch. It all depends.

( Excuse me now, while I go climb in 3 feet of snow to fill a flyer box )

Old 02-14-2008, 07:49 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,025,745 times
nitram, what do you do for a living? I just need to know.. you have never needed the services of an assistant, in any way, shape, or form? if you are an electrician.. who answers the phone for you when you are with clients fixing their lighs? If you are a doctor, who answers the phone to make the app't while you are diagnosing the problem? Please tell me what you do? and if you have ever used the services of an assistant in any way... you must be lazy.

shelly

Old 11-04-2011, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,616 times
Am I considered a licensed real estate agent if I want to work as an assistant and my license is inactive. Can I be paid a percentage of sales commision instead of by the hour?

Old 11-04-2011, 05:00 PM

8,043 posts, read 24,252,402 times
Kathy - this might vary by state, but in my state, Idaho, the answer to both of your questions is no. If your license is inactive, you are not considered a licensed assistant, and you can't be paid a commission.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,935,969 times
I can't believe some of what was said above. One person said they would not use a Realtor with an assistant. That was like saying, I won't go to a doctor who has a nurse, or hire an attorney who has a legal secretary or para- legal.

That being said, some agents do step over the line in assigning tasks to their assistant.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:27 PM

16 posts, read 44,142 times
I am an unlicensed assistant in AZ for a broker who owns and operates the company. Can I do BPO's for Fannie Mae... we are a direct listing broker. I am required to pull up the comps, take pictures, and make the valuations my boss/broker will look this over before submitting to Fannie Mae, my name will be on the submission form. I dont feel comfortable with this and asked if I was even allowed to do this and was told it was OK as long as he looks it over before submitting. My gut said no, so I looked it up on the internet and couldnt find a definitive answer, but I found that I am not allowed to get commissions. This really troubles me as I make a salary plus 10% commissions for all these Fannie Maes that we sell and his personal listings. I do not get commissions from other agents that he oversees their listings and sells. All of this is outside and after escrow closes and then he takes payroll deductions out of the commissions. Is this OK?

Old 11-05-2011, 07:29 AM

6,069 posts, read 13,167,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maefran291 View Post
I am an unlicensed assistant in AZ for a broker who owns and operates the company. Can I do BPO's for Fannie Mae... we are a direct listing broker. I am required to pull up the comps, take pictures, and make the valuations my boss/broker will look this over before submitting to Fannie Mae, my name will be on the submission form. I dont feel comfortable with this and asked if I was even allowed to do this and was told it was OK as long as he looks it over before submitting. My gut said no, so I looked it up on the internet and couldnt find a definitive answer, but I found that I am not allowed to get commissions. This really troubles me as I make a salary plus 10% commissions for all these Fannie Maes that we sell and his personal listings. I do not get commissions from other agents that he oversees their listings and sells. All of this is outside and after escrow closes and then he takes payroll deductions out of the commissions. Is this OK?
Why not have your broker call the legal hot line if there is one in your area, or just look up the real estate laws for your state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals