Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 08:18 PM

1,759 posts, read 5,117,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I would never hire a real estate agent who uses an assistant. We tried that one time and what a disaster that was. When I hire an agent I expect them to do the work required, that I'm paying them to do, and not push off the work to an assistant. If I wanted the assistant, I would hire the assistant.
An agebt has a fidicuary duty to their client, which means they are expected to do all the paperwork, calls, showings, etc for the commision they are being paid for. I do not want to be sitting around waiting for an assistant to call me with questions or other things that the agent is supposed to be doing. Buyers won't deal with assistants, neither will I.
Seems to me if an agent uses a assistant they are just plain lazy.
I know this was posted years ago but I still don't understand the logic. As an agent, my time is better spent working and interacting with my clients than staying at the office until midnight designing flyers and making copies. Plus I would rather speak to a person than continually get someones voicemail.

Plus you took fiduciary responsibility completely out of context.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,969 times
Talking Agents don't need assistants???

This may be correct if you only sell only 1 home a month.
First, buyers don't pay realtors, The sellers do!!
Secondly, I don't know of a top producing agent who doesn't have an assistant.
How can they give you the customer service you need when there dealing with more important things then showing a house. I will give you a few outside the mom and pop real estate Part timers . Daily inspections/appraisals, counter offers, agents calling daily wanting to view showings. Call sellers see what time works for them, call agent . Flyers to market your home, open houses, broker opens, replying to daily emails, attending closings, showing buyers property's, showing property, writing contracts, negotiating the best price for his cliant. Attending listing appointments, receiving all phone calls.
Ooo I forgot they have to see there family some point of the day.
The great thing about being a real estate agent, we get to interview our cliants before working with them as well. One more thing, if anyone thinks a agents job is to drive around town showing homes
Well lets say a trained monkey can do that. We earn our money at the start of writeing a contract. And for the next 3o to 60 days after and executed contract is signed. Making sure we are in daily contact with Moragage brokers and title company's, inspections, appraisals, and making sure we guide you to the finish line...... The closing table.. That's our job. And to say say realtors are lazy lol lol , lets see if you would be at work everyday not Getting paid. Most agents work 12 hours a day, sometimes to midnight. But that's why some of us make a 1,000,000 a year.

Ps sorry about grammar, in airport on I phone😜

Old 03-10-2013, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 29,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecdeer View Post
First, buyers don't pay realtors, The sellers do!!
I'm not sure I totally agree with this statement. Where do the sellers get the funds to pay the realtors?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,720,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
I'm not sure I totally agree with this statement. Where do the sellers get the funds to pay the realtors?
According to the Listing Agreement, the seller agrees to pay the listing agent and the buyers agent out of the proceeds of the sale of the house. It really doesn't matter that the buyer pays for the house. After the buyer pays the seller for the house, the sellers then pay their sales expenses.

If we were to say that the buyers pay the commission (because they pay for the house) then we would have to say that the buyers are also paying for all of the sellers closing costs, including taxes, HOA fees, title insurance, etc., because all of those expenses also come out of the sellers proceeds.

Last edited by Captain Bill; 03-11-2013 at 08:07 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 05:51 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,257,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
Hmmm, I don't know about SC law, but in Georgia an unlicensed person cannot hold an open house. Have you checked into that?
Just for comparison, this is how KY regulates assistants:

201 KAR 11:440. Personal assistant duties RELATES TO: KRS 324.010(4), 324.030(6)
Section 1. A nonlicensed personal assistant, office worker, or clerical worker shall not:
(1) Negotiate terms of a real estate transaction or real estate brokerage agreement;
(2) Complete offers or contracts relative to a real estate transaction;
(3) Disclose information that is available to a real estate licensee but is not available to the general public;
(4) Attend a real estate closing except to assist a licensee present at the closing;
(5) Access information which requires membership in an industry trade group if the supervising licensee is not a member of the industry trade group;
(6) Write or place advertisements without review by a licensee;
(7) Express material opinions on any aspect of a real estate transaction to anyone other than the supervising licensee;
(8) Interpret real estate contractual terminology for others;
(9) Represent to others that he has a real estate license; or
(10) Perform any activity which requires a real estate license.

Section 2. A non-licensed personal assistant, office worker, or clerical worker may perform the following tasks:
(1) Distribute literature, serve refreshments, greet guests, and procure guest signatures on a sign-in book at an open-house, without a supervising licensee present at the open house if:
(a) The seller or lessor provides written consent for the assistant to serve in this capacity; and
(b) The supervising licensee directs the assistant to serve in this capacity;
(2) Provide the following general public information to others pursuant to KRS 324.030(6):
(a) Whether real estate is listed with the real estate company;
(b) Whether real estate is under contract with the company;
(c) Whether a real estate transaction has closed;
(d) The listing price of the real estate;
(e) Other information about the real estate if:
1. The information is provided in writing;
2. Disclosure is approved by the supervising licensee; and
3. Disclosure does not violate the licensee’s fiduciary duties to his client;
(3) Appear in advertisements and have his or her name appear in advertisements if the advertisement does not indicate or imply the assistant has a real estate license;
(4) Contact others to set appointments on behalf of the supervising licensee;
(5) Receive confidential information from a consumer relative to a real estate transaction if the information is communicated only to the supervising licensee;
(6) Copy a key related to a real estate transaction at the direction of the supervising licensee; or
(7) Unlock real estate for any purpose relative to the real estate
transaction if:
(a) The supervising licensee receives the consent of the owner or lessor;
(b) The assistant answers no questions about the real estate other than as specifically allowed by this administrative regulation or statute; and
(c) The assistant does not show the real estate to a consumer.
Section 3. Supervision of a nonlicensed personal assistant, office worker, or clerical worker shall require:
(1) A principal broker to assign supervision duties for each assistant to at least one (1) licensee, which may be the principal broker, of the company;
(2) The principal broker to require all assistants working for a licensee of the company to be informed of the requirements of this administrative regulation and the provisions of KRS
324.030;
(3) A principal broker to establish a policy by which a supervising licensee provides training for assistants in a manner reasonably adequate to ensure compliance with this administrative regulation;
(4) A supervising licensee to provide reasonable supervision of
assistants in a manner which shall ensure compliance with
this administrative regulation; and
(5) A supervising licensee to be reasonably accessible to assistants in a manner which allows the assistant to contact and locate the licensee concerning pending transactions.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecdeer View Post
This may be correct if you only sell only 1 home a month.
First, buyers don't pay realtors, The sellers do!! This is a perpetual myth. The buyer does pay the Realtor. You are correct, the check is cut from the seller's proceeds, but few sellers don't consider the Realtor's fees when considering the net they can accept.
Secondly, I don't know of a top producing agent who doesn't have an assistant. Absolutely
How can they give you the customer service you need when there dealing with more important things then showing a house. I will give you a few outside the mom and pop real estate Part timers . Daily inspections/appraisals, counter offers, agents calling daily wanting to view showings. Call sellers see what time works for them, call agent . Flyers to market your home, open houses, broker opens, replying to daily emails, attending closings, showing buyers property's, showing property, writing contracts, negotiating the best price for his cliant. Attending listing appointments, receiving all phone calls.
Ooo I forgot they have to see there family some point of the day.
The great thing about being a real estate agent, we get to interview our cliants before working with them as well. One more thing, if anyone thinks a agents job is to drive around town showing homes
Well lets say a trained monkey can do that. We earn our money at the start of writeing a contract. And for the next 3o to 60 days after and executed contract is signed. Making sure we are in daily contact with Moragage brokers and title company's, inspections, appraisals, and making sure we guide you to the finish line...... The closing table.. That's our job. And to say say realtors are lazy lol lol , lets see if you would be at work everyday not Getting paid. Most agents work 12 hours a day, sometimes to midnight. But that's why some of us make a 1,000,000 a year.

Ps sorry about grammar, in airport on I phone😜
Grammar, aside, a very very solid post after the first point.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
According to the Listing Agreement, the seller agrees to pay the listing agent and the buyers agent out of the proceeds of the sale of the house. It really doesn't matter that the buyer pays for the house. After the buyer pays the seller for the house, the sellers then pay their sales expenses.

If we were to say that the buyers pay the commission (because they pay for the house) then we would have to say that the buyers are also paying for all of the sellers closing costs, including taxes, HOA fees, title insurance, etc., because all of those expenses also come out of the sellers proceeds.
Exactly correct!!!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 PM

84 posts, read 240,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
I knew someone that was an assitant to a big commercial agent - she didnt do all that the above assistant did. She was paid $12 an hour, her job was to set up appointments for this agent. He would give her lists of contacts, she contacted them and asked about their needs or wants over the next 2 years. If they expressed an interest she set up the appointment, was paid $25 per appointment and then if a sale was made, she made a small percentage of his commission. She also did mailings for him and sent out information to ppl who were in the market. Occasionally if he was out of town, she showed some properties.

In NY, you need to have a real estate license to do this.....
Same in MD for all activities that were mentioned in the 2 posts

Old 03-17-2013, 12:33 PM

Default Working more than one client at a time, and giving service

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I would never hire a real estate agent who uses an assistant. We tried that one time and what a disaster that was. When I hire an agent I expect them to do the work required, that I'm paying them to do, and not push off the work to an assistant. If I wanted the assistant, I would hire the assistant.
An agebt has a fidicuary duty to their client, which means they are expected to do all the paperwork, calls, showings, etc for the commision they are being paid for. I do not want to be sitting around waiting for an assistant to call me with questions or other things that the agent is supposed to be doing. Buyers won't deal with assistants, neither will I.
Seems to me if an agent uses a assistant they are just plain lazy.

An agent is not lazy because they use assistants, they are smart. First and agent works with more thanone client at a time, if no they will not be in business long. An agent can be an excellent negotiator, but may not be alble to spell or type well, no agent is perfect in all that is required in the real estate business. As a buyer or a seller the agent will handle all showings, writing offers, negotiating, and any problems that arise. They should not be a secretary, schedule appointments, farm for other business, place ads (notice I did not say the assistant should write ads, unless she knows the property) etc.

I had an assistant for 25 years and when the market dropped off, I decided to do it myself. There is no way a top agent can give the attention to each client without help. However, if you want all the agents attention hire one that is new and does not have a client base yet, or someone that does not truly make a living at real estate, than you will get all their attention, but are you getting experienced seasoned agents.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:37 PM

Default Asssistas value

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peaches2oranges View Post
I am biased because I am an assistant, but I think an assistant helps so that the agent can actually do what it takes to bring a buyer or seller to the table. I am actually one of two assistants.

My broker is on the phone or out showing properties every day, he is a very strong, persistant yet personable salesman, he knows his stuff and his name/reputation and success is why people continue to come back to him. He has former customers/friends walking in everyday just to shoot the breeze and talk because he usually knows everything going on in and around the island.

He has almost 80 listings at this time and we have 3 properties closings in the next 2 weeks alone ($4M, $3.65M & $2.6M - who said SW Florida real estate is DEAD??) it would be very hard to handle all the paperwork (inspections, insurance, appraisers, repairs, etc) for the closings and handle the surge of buyers / sellers for his properties. Not all sales here are listed, many pocket deals, so it is mostly relationships and negotiating that bring his deals together.

crawling back into my hole...
Don't crawl back into your hole, you are so right and I am a licensed Broker and have been in business 30 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals