Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 08:10 PM

33 posts, read 29,411 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if my situation is the norm. Got an accepted offer on a home that had over a dozen offers on it the first day on the market (which is the norm where we live). Realtor said we needed to do inspection asap and get contracts signed before a higher offer came in. She said she had a great inspector and would book it for us the next day. He only had an evening appt avail, which we said was fine. Next morning (day of inspection) we get a call from our realtor notifying us that the sellers had received a higher offer and we had to match it. We immediately said no- we had gone as high as we were willing to go. We no longer had an accepted offer and immediately notified the inspector via email and voicemail that we would no longer need the inspection and would call him as soon as something else came along. The inspection was at 5pm and I had called him before 10am. Later that evening I received a text message from the inspector letting me know that due to the last minute cancellation (he was given 7 hours notice and appt had only been booked prior evening) we owed him 50%, which was $350. I never spoke with the inspector, nor did I realize there was a cancellation policy- just assumed in our crazy real estate market- this is the nature of their business. I feel like if anyone should be responsible- should be the sellers- as we had an accepted offer when appt was booked. Well..... he def lost a future customer and potential referrals. Is this the norm?

Last edited by mara16; 04-04-2016 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 08:37 PM

49 posts, read 74,420 times
I'm curious about the offer. If it was accepted, how did they come back and say you needed to bid more? Shouldn't accepting your offer be binding?
And for the inspector...no way I'd pay that!

Old 04-04-2016, 08:57 PM

We live in NYC area and nothing is binding until contract is signed. Offers can keep coming in until contracts are signed (generally several days after accepted offers). In NY- nothing is signed until inspections are done and then deposits/contracts. But-many realtors wont accept other offers when they have an accepted- not the case here. It seems immoral to accept an offer and then reneg, but happens all the time. I do believe if you go through with an inspection and sellers accept a higher offer- they have to or generally should- cover the costs of the inspection. Feels like warfare trying to buy a house here.
Thanks...glad you agree re: inspector.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:37 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
My physician charges me a fee if I don't call and cancel an appointment within 24 hours. Don't see why an inspector or any other professional can't do the same thing.

Typically, inspectors have very tight schedules and a last minute cancellation may not get filled with another job and they can loose money for unfilled appointments.

It is possible that your realtor may offer an incentive if you do purchase a property through them, to offset the penalty you were charged for.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:47 PM

I find it hard to believe he would have filled the appt between the hours of 7pm and 9am. Real estate is a bit different than a doctor's appt. I doubt your doctor would charge you 50% of what they bill your insurance company. I was not aware of a cancellation policy as you are aware of your doctor's. If anyone should pay- it should be the sellers- who caused the cancellation of the appt. My realtor was annoyed he charged me that- considering she refers him on a regular basis.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:11 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mara16 View Post
I find it hard to believe he would have filled the appt between the hours of 7pm and 9am. Real estate is a bit different than a doctor's appt. I doubt your doctor would charge you 50% of what they bill your insurance company. I was not aware of a cancellation policy as you are aware of your doctor's. If anyone should pay- it should be the sellers- who caused the cancellation of the appt. My realtor was annoyed he charged me that- considering she refers him on a regular basis.
Did you sign a contract with the inspector?

Old 04-04-2016, 10:17 PM

No- never signed a contract. The realtor set up the appt and emailed me his contact info after it was scheduled.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:58 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
The realtor knew the possibilities of what could happen. And then, if those things did happen, that there was a cancellation charge. That's why you hire a professional Realtor. Tell her to handle it.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:35 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Well, it is New York. Y'all do stuff differently up there.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:43 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
No- never signed a contract. The realtor set up the appt and emailed me his contact info after it was scheduled.
"Go pound sand" comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
The realtor knew the possibilities of what could happen. And then, if those things did happen, that there was a cancellation charge. That's why you hire a professional Realtor. Tell her to handle it.
Right. The agent should be fluent in "Go Pound Sand."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals