Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:33 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,899,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korillian View Post
Really? A complete stranger left alone in someone's house for hours? I don't think I'd be comfortable with that. Unfettered access, I understand that, but you can have access without being left completely alone.
This must vary from place to place....where I work, the buyers and their agent usually stay for the inspection with the inspector. I think it's important for the buyers to look at things with the inspector so they can become familiar with the home. They learn where the main water shut off valve is located, how to reset the GFI's if they're in a not-so-obvious location, where the crawl space access is located and what's in it, and so forth... If my buyers can't be at the inspection, then I need to be there to re-explain things to them when they move. Luckily, the home inspectors I've met are very gracious about offering to come back when the buyers move in and walk through the home with them so they feel more comfortable about taking over the home's operation.
I do not like the seller to be there because they are always paranoid about what the inspector is looking at, and they tend to "hover" and talk too much about the house and what they've done to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 08:21 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,511,322 times
In NY sellers typically leave....too stressfull. But some stay home. Inspector is always with an agent.

Buyers should always attend & ask questions!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:47 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,985,969 times
I didn't make myself clear, I guess. My bad!
I always stay with my Buyers and the inspector so I understand the inspection as well.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:55 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,701,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffandliz View Post
Hello,

Looking for help from all the wise people here. As you know, we went under contract last week. The home inspection is scheduled for Monday, and I was advised to not be there. Our house is only 5 years old, no problems that I know of. Thanks to SaraS, I previously already tightned the toilet. What else can I expect? What should I do to get it as perfect as possible. What do they look at? Any ideas? Thanks, Liz
Please let us know how this goes. We are also considering a home inspection prior to listing just to know if there is anything major we need fixing that we are not aware of. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:07 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,743,367 times
Some inspectors are more nit-picking than others. They may find some important things that should be fixed, and some not so important things that would be nice to fix. Some things may have to be brought to code.

It is in yours and the buyers best interest for the inspector to be thorough so as to prevent any problems later on.

The buyer will provide a report to you of what they want fixed. You determine what you will fix, and what you won't fix. You may be able to negotiate something in there also.

When my house in CA sold last month, there was an estimated $2000 worth of issues to be fixed. (The actual cost to fix would be more like $1000)

The buyer wanted me to credit them $2000 and they would get them fixed; and at the same time they wanted to move escrow up by 7 days. I told them I would agree to move escrow up by 7 days and give them $500 toward the repairs. They agreed. That 7 days also saved me $175 per day in carrying costs, so I gained a total of $2725 by that negotiation.

Now the buyer is wanting to move the coe back to the original time. That would cost me the $175 per day carrying cost. They want to get a different loan with better interest. So I told them they would have to cover my costs. They agreed.

Now they want to do a pre-possession by two days so they can have a contractor start replacing a stair rail. That is a risky issue and will require some more negotiation and make sure that I'm covered.

So if there is any concession that your buyer is wanting, be sure that you ask for something in return. Negotiation is about win/win. I'll give you something if you give me something or equal value in return. That way we can all be happy.

The inspector is working for the buyer and typically cannot, and many will not discuss the summary with the seller without the buyers permission.

As an agent, I'm at the inspection if I'm representing the buyer or the seller. The last one I was on, I was the buyers agent, and both the sellers agent and I were there. When the buyer came for the summary report, the sellers agent excused herself and left, with the assurance that I would remain and lock up.

The buyer gave permission for the inspector to send the report to the sellers agent. Things work smoothly when people understand and respect the rules of agency. And when they respect it, people are more willing to cooperate.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,008,396 times
Quote:
Hello,

Looking for help from all the wise people here. As you know, we went under contract last week. The home inspection is scheduled for Monday, and I was advised to not be there. Our house is only 5 years old, no problems that I know of. Thanks to SaraS, I previously already tightned the toilet. What else can I expect? What should I do to get it as perfect as possible. What do they look at? Any ideas? Thanks, Liz
Liz,

How was the home inspection?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:11 PM

335 posts, read 1,178,940 times
I am still anxiously awaiting. They came yesterday between 3 and 5. I have not heard anything yet. I wish they'd hurry up. Stress...................... I will let you know. I am trying to be patient and not call my realtor first to check.
Liz

Old 02-21-2008, 02:54 PM

335 posts, read 1,178,940 times
All right all, just finally got the results. Not too bad. They are only requesting about 10 things or so. All are pretty minor. One thing to note, the inspector stated he could not get to the breaker due to our personal effects in the way, so he is suggesting an electrician to sign off on it. The buyers are requesting this as well. Minor things, minor repair to screen on porch, small bent piece of siding and some minor gutter work- mainly attaching better in 2 places. Here another I don't understand- claims the dishwasher seal has a small leak. I can't find it- no idea what they are talking about , the dishwasher is a high-end LG, only about 2 years old. Anyway, all in all, not too bad. Thanks for the help, I did change out the air filters prior and a few small other suggestions. Liz

Old 02-23-2008, 10:41 AM

965 posts, read 4,488,850 times
Quote:
All right all, just finally got the results. Not too bad. They are only requesting about 10 things or so. All are pretty minor. One thing to note, the inspector stated he could not get to the breaker due to our personal effects in the way, so he is suggesting an electrician to sign off on it. The buyers are requesting this as well. Minor things, minor repair to screen on porch, small bent piece of siding and some minor gutter work- mainly attaching better in 2 places. Here another I don't understand- claims the dishwasher seal has a small leak. I can't find it- no idea what they are talking about , the dishwasher is a high-end LG, only about 2 years old. Anyway, all in all, not too bad. Thanks for the help, I did change out the air filters prior and a few small other suggestions. Liz
Minor, minor, minor ... I bet those words are music to your ears! Hope all goes well with the electrician's inspection!

As for the dishwasher seal leak, have you done a load yet and felt around the door for water? That is, if the inspector is talking about an exterior leak around the door versus some interior leak.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:13 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,378,982 times
No, leave them alone, as much easier to do their job, and trust me, you would be more irritating then welcome. Like the captain said, do not worry, the inspection is done only to insure the buyer, no hidden supprises. They will find several blemishes, but usually easy to fix or often times, buyer has no conern at all, or easy to make some small cash concessions. A lot of our inspectors even list the small and easy things, and how to fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals