Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:13 AM

335 posts, read 1,177,860 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking for help from all the wise people here. As you know, we went under contract last week. The home inspection is scheduled for Monday, and I was advised to not be there. Our house is only 5 years old, no problems that I know of. Thanks to SaraS, I previously already tightned the toilet. What else can I expect? What should I do to get it as perfect as possible. What do they look at? Any ideas? Thanks, Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 09:51 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,644,206 times
Liz, some ideas off the top of my head...

Are your receptacles up to code? Do you have GFI's where required? (ie kitchen bathroom, garage) If not, you might want to look at that...

Do you need to "caulk" anything like maybe a loose toilet or something else?

Fix any cracks, nail holes for pictures, anywhere where there could be a "blemish" on a wall....

Make sure you go over each room w/a fine tooth comb....

This is the crappy part about selling a home. Hopefully the laundry list from the inspector won't be too long...gl

Old 02-13-2008, 10:00 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,000,499 times
I can tell you some of things that came up in the inspection on a home we just bought in VA. Window screens were damaged by the family cat scratching at them. No actual holes in the screens just bent mesh. loose deck railing. small hole in siding. splashblocks missing. caulking needed around tub. leak under sink (sellers fixed - this was the only thing we asked the sellers to fix)

Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 AM

563 posts, read 3,732,675 times
I wouldn't worry too much about what the inspector is going to find. If its a big thing you can make a concession toward the cost of the buyers fixing it laer and if its a small thing the buyers usually will give you the chance to fix it before they buy.
Depending on the inspector he can be very detailed or not.
We've had three home inspections done (2 houses we were buying, one we are selling). With a 5 year old (young!) house you probably don't have any big ticket things to worry about e.g busted furnaces, roof on its last legs, windows leaking thermal seals, etc. A lot of the tiny things like caulking, etc can be fixed up for very little by a handyman. Good luck

Old 02-13-2008, 10:47 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,893,420 times
you should also put a clean filter in your furnace if you haven't done so lately.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,889,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffandliz View Post
Hello,

Looking for help from all the wise people here. As you know, we went under contract last week. The home inspection is scheduled for Monday, and I was advised to not be there. Our house is only 5 years old, no problems that I know of. Thanks to SaraS, I previously already tightned the toilet. What else can I expect? What should I do to get it as perfect as possible. What do they look at? Any ideas? Thanks, Liz
Clean up before you leave the house the day of inspection. Make sure any burnt out light bulbs are replaced. Empty the dishwasher & oven, as both will be run to be sure they are working. Same with the washer & dryer if you are leaving them. If your water is usually set at some energy saving mode and takes 12 minutes to get hot, change that before you leave, so they get hot water right away. Set your thermostat to hold a comfortable temp all day, instead of the energy saving 62 it might be set at when you usually go out. Make sure access to the attic is clear & easy. Basement too, especially to the mechanicals. Be sure all the doors & windows open easily, & lock properly. Are there any switches or outlets that aren't readily identifiable as to their purpose? Leave a note next to it, so they don't have to spend 15 minutes trying to figure out what is supposed to go on when they flick it. Make sure the gutters are clear & flowing freely away from the house, not creating pools or frozen spots on the walkway, and that all the downspouts are properly conected. Get your pet out of the house, or at teh very least crated & out of the way. If it's a cat, clean the litterbox thoroughly.
If you're leaving JUST before they get there, brew a pot of coffee & put it out so it's clear you made it for them. A tiny bit of hospitality can make some minor issues seem truly minor and not worth mentioning. (Insert your particular brand of hospitality. I happen to be a cofee guy.)
The inspection is for surprises, really. Stuff you don't see on a regular basis. If you knew about it, you probably should have dealt with it, or disclosed it, and therefore it's already addressed in the agreed upon sale price, right? So you should only have to deal with surprises here.
Good luck.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:26 PM

44,541 posts, read 61,208,520 times
We have always been told to be there when the inspector was there. And we did. The reasons, if there are problems the inspector can describe them to you and tell you exactly what to do to remedy the problem. Also you can explain what you have done to update the house, as some inspectors may miss a thing or two.
We never had a problem with the dozen or so homes we had inspectors with us being there. We just don't follow him around, but make ourselves avaiable if any questions arise.
On one inspection, a vacant home we were buying, but we were not there for the inspection, and later found so many mistakes and serious problems that we got a refund.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:42 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,979,979 times
Seller is never present for home inspection in my area. And Listing Agent opens the door and then makes him/herself scarce. The inspection is being paid by the Buyer and they need unfettered access.
Also understand that, especially in the case of first time home buyers, the inspector is advising them on maintenance. Not trying to find fault with your home. Drainage, signs of flooding, and how to prevent many common mistakes of new home owners. My favorite home inspector even tells them how to trim the hedges around the house to allow for circulation in a damp climate.
Don't look at the home inspector as a villain looking to shave dollars off your purchase price. In most cases, unless you have a very old home, the issues they come up with are relatively inocuous and easily negotiated.
If you've maintained your home, you should be in good shape.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:11 PM

70 posts, read 299,745 times
If you have a gas fireplace, make sure the key is available to the inspector, in an obvious place!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:21 PM

147 posts, read 687,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
Seller is never present for home inspection in my area. And Listing Agent opens the door and then makes him/herself scarce. The inspection is being paid by the Buyer and they need unfettered access.
Really? A complete stranger left alone in someone's house for hours? I don't think I'd be comfortable with that. Unfettered access, I understand that, but you can have access without being left completely alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals