Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:00 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,813,290 times

Advertisements

Do you require a visitor to register to view your listings? Yes or No? If yes, why? and if no, why not?

I have some thoughts but really want to see what other's are doing and why...

thanks,

Shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,814,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
Do you require a visitor to register to view your listings? Yes or No? If yes, why? and if no, why not?

I have some thoughts but really want to see what other's are doing and why...

thanks,

Shelly
Not a realtor, but when property searching, I refuse to register. Last thing I need is more spam, and more phone calls from agents who want to bother me weekly with their new, overpriced listings.

All of the information is available elsewhere with no hasles involved in getting the info.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,870,207 times
Yes. I require registration. My own listings I have as featured listings on open pages.
The others require registration to see. I do it to capture the information so I can call or email to offer my assistance if they would like to work with a Realtor® and since I can see what they are looking at it helps me to track what type of buyer my website is attracting...I can then adjust it accordingly to attract the type of buyer I need for my listings. I can then relay information to the owner as to how many people are looking at the listing and where (from other places on the web, etc), what pictures are getting the most attention, etc. I also have the ability to then send out a particularly good buy or home/property to everyone. Anyone who signs into the listings area or requests information has the ability to opt-out from the get go or any time there after.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,893,083 times
NO - I don't like sites that want my information so I don't do that to people looking at my site either. Even our local news station & newspaper only allow a certain amount of browsing before they want personal info from you, which aggravates the heck out of me! The internet should be for information -- my contact info is on every page, so I know that people can contact me if they do want more information or want my professional assistance.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:39 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,843,059 times
To view listings? NO - however if someone comes into an open house, I require to see a picture Id and have them sign in, this is for MY safety only. Although it sounds ridiculous, google some things that have happened to agents at open houses while alone..............it can be pretty scary. This is legal to do in the state of NY, the only thing is, you have to do it for everyone, no one can slide...no id, no sign in = your not getting in to this open house.

If I am with another agent or a friend is with me, then I do not require a photo ID.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:21 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,550,598 times
Default No registration required

The site I use has the capability, but I don't use it. I do have voluntary "Contact Me" forms that anyone may complete if they have questions, want a CMA, looking to buy, etc. I get about 10 per week. I like the fact they come directly to my cell, so I can respond immediately.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 02-15-2008 at 09:49 AM..

Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,434,424 times
Realtors want to capture who is looking and consumers resist the capture.

My brokerage shows it's own listings, without registration. To see other brokers' listings, our MLS requires the consumer to log in. And no surprise, most don't and a good majority of those who do register, supply bogus information.

The properties are listed on Realtor.com and that is the most common gateway.

Last year, one of my listings was furious that I could not capture the hundreds of thousands who viewed their home at realtor.com and make contact with them. They were the same people who resisted anything that required registration when they were looking, as they did not want to be captured.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:28 AM

43,013 posts, read 76,500,303 times
No registration for looking.

Registration required for using other features, like saving searches, emailing properties to friends, etc.
I may change that and eliminate all registration requirements.

I don't try to "capture" viewers. I work with people not "prisoners."

Whether "capturing" pays off? You can cite studies either way, depending on what you are pushing. I think it is passe.

I just try to work with people the way I would prefer to be treated myself.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,434,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I don't try to "capture" viewers. I work with people not "prisoners."

Whether "capturing" pays off? You can cite studies either way, depending on what you are pushing. I think it is passe.

I just try to work with people the way I would prefer to be treated myself.
Like this, a lot.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:39 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,218,225 times
I have a doorway form that you have to fill out after visiting 5 pages, The form tells the user that they can fill out "just browsing" as their name and any number will do for a phone number.

So we don't collect information from those people who don't want to give it. They get an auto-reply message from me telling them I'll be assigning someone to help them and my agents send an email introducing themselves followed up by a phone call after 3 days if they didn't get a reply.

Every 6 months I send out an email to everyone that registered that gives them 2 ways to opt out and asks them for feedback about the service they were offered. So far, no one has opted out.

I think this is a reasonable approach. It took me 3 days to get out of Realty World's trap while trying to gather info on a listing they had in my area from an out of town agent who isn't a member of our MLS. I didn't appreciate that way of lead capture, and fortunately my email address has my company name in it, so no salesperson called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals