Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 02:18 PM

347 posts, read 426,850 times

Advertisements

When I purchased my soon-to-be former home, the sellers indicated that they wanted to take the window treatments. I incorrectly assumed at the time that what they meant was the curtains.

When I did the walk through the curtains had been removed as I expected. However, when I moved in the blinds and curtain rods had all been removed. When I complained about this to my realtor, she indicated that as I had told the sellers that they could take the window treatments that I had given them permission.

I am in the process of buying a new home, and the sellers have indicated in their sellers disclosure that they plan on taking the window treatments. So when the term window treatments are used does that generally just refer to the curtains that are hanging? Or does it refer to any window related covering? (such as blinds, rods, etc.) Is there a standard definition in real estate?

I feel like an idiot for asking, but as I've been burned on this issue in the past, and my request for clarification has gone unanswered, I'm hoping that one of the many realtors here could provide some clarification about what the definition of window treatments really is when buying a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 02:31 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Anything covering the windows are window treatments

Old 06-09-2016, 02:46 PM

So does that cover blinds? Curtain rods? I'm assuming the answer is yes.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:55 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,164,857 times
Ask your agent to find out exactly what the sellers mean by window treatments, so there are no surprises.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
Ask your agent to find out exactly what the sellers mean by window treatments, so there are no surprises.
I have asked multiple times, and my realtor has told me that the listing agent isn't answering the question. I will get more firm. Because this question is causing far too much stress.

Last edited by ea1420; 06-09-2016 at 03:36 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 03:37 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
IMHO, unless there is specific language to the contrary, you assume that window coverings includes anything and everything covering part or all of the window, along with any of the hardware associated with those things. Everything is negotiable, though.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:52 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,327,765 times
Unless you got a copy of the disclosures prior to negotiating your purchase agreement the Seller may be out of luck IMO. Do you want them? I would question who they belong to.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:03 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Window treatments are anything covering the window that isn't secured to the wall/window trim. So if the windows had blinds, those are fixtures in my area, as are curtain rods. Curtains, since they aren't affixed to the wall are personal property. We define it that way in our contracts.

If someone said window treatments here they are talking about a valance or curtains that are decorative in nature and not designed to provide privacy. People usually want them because they match their decor.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:24 AM

500 posts, read 583,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Window treatments are anything covering the window that isn't secured to the wall/window trim. So if the windows had blinds, those are fixtures in my area, as are curtain rods. Curtains, since they aren't affixed to the wall are personal property. We define it that way in our contracts.

If someone said window treatments here they are talking about a valance or curtains that are decorative in nature and not designed to provide privacy. People usually want them because they match their decor.
This is how it is here in Texas. If the disclosure states the seller wants and will be taking "the window treatments in the formal living room", that usually means the fabric drapery. Anything nailed down, screwed in, etc is considered part of the house. They were made specific to the measurements of the house and it is assumed that everyone knows they stay and were custom made to fit that window.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:08 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
"Window treatments" is too vague. If a buyer wants the blinds to stay, but not the curtains, it needs to be spelled out so there is no room for confusion on anyone's part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals