Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 03:01 PM

12 posts, read 30,098 times

Advertisements

We are relocating with a job to Tx. We've had our house in the western Chicago suburbs on the market since Nov. 9th. We had ONE showing in Dec. We have gone from $495K to $484,900 to $475K. The co. just offered us....(gulp) $432K!! That stings....bad. We have 30 days to accept or decline. The spring market is around the corner. Any suggestions? We are supposed to close on our new home in TWO weeks. And if we take the buy-out we will owe his co. back $35K!! We needed at LEAST $460 to break even. Should we lower it once again to $450 and see what happens in the next 30 days?? ANY advice would be great. Thank you!
KJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 03:51 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaufhu View Post
We are relocating with a job to Tx. We've had our house in the western Chicago suburbs on the market since Nov. 9th. We had ONE showing in Dec. We have gone from $495K to $484,900 to $475K. The co. just offered us....(gulp) $432K!! That stings....bad. We have 30 days to accept or decline. The spring market is around the corner. Any suggestions? We are supposed to close on our new home in TWO weeks. And if we take the buy-out we will owe his co. back $35K!! We needed at LEAST $460 to break even. Should we lower it once again to $450 and see what happens in the next 30 days?? ANY advice would be great. Thank you!
KJ

If you lower it to $450 and it is not below market value, you can expect to get an offer less than $432. From your numbers I assume you are selling the home on your own, and it is more difficult in this market to market for the buyers.

If you do get an offer, there is no assurance that it will close escrow. Many fall out today because of financing.

It seems to me that you need to accept the offer, because it's clean, and you're done with it. Then you can move on with your life.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:01 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,552 times
Quote:
KJ
There is no sign of a turn around in the Chicago market. It seems to be gradually getting worse. Better to take a hit now and not worry about carrying both on the premise that you could have gotten a few thousand more for your house. When you add in the cost of carrying it till it gets sold and the uncertainty when and for what it will sell for, it just doesn't make sense.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Is the company paying for brokerage and/or closing costs on the sale of your current home?

I am assuming the relo offer is based upon the average of two appraisals. Was this how their offer was arrived at?

Are you moving to Texas, upon closing, in two weeks, meaning the house will be vacant?

Old 02-16-2008, 06:09 PM

28 posts, read 126,830 times
I would take the buyout and move on. We just closed on our house in the western suburbs of Chicago and took a big hit, but the market is steadily declining, and we decided to take our hit now and get out. I think it will only get worse as more houses come on the market for spring. When you say you will owe the company $35,000, will you have to cut them a check, or will they maybe give it to you as a forgivable loan over a couple of years. Taking a buyout is also much easier than dealing with selling, no negotiations after inspections, no worrying that your buyer will back out or can't get financing, just sign the papers and its done.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
KJ
You dont have the ability to go back and counter the companies offer?

Old 02-16-2008, 06:33 PM

28 posts, read 126,830 times
I have never heard of a company buyout being negotiable. It is a take it or leave it offer and it is usually time sensitive. Buyouts will usually pay less than you normally would get by selling it yourself, but sometimes it is worth it as it is no hassle. I have taken two company buyouts and prefer it to selling as it is so easy. My buyouts did not entail losses to me since market was different than today. Today's market makes all these decisions much harder to make

Old 02-17-2008, 09:05 AM

12 posts, read 30,098 times
Thank you all for such good advice. At this rate I do think it's best to get out as quickly as possible. We have 30 days to decide. My realtor suggests to drop the price to $450K and see what happens before the 30 days is up. Can't hurt, eh? Although, that may be dumb because as some of you pointed out what if the buyer backs out, etc. Hmmmm...my ulcer hurts.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:11 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Thank you all for such good advice. At this rate I do think it's best to get out as quickly as possible. We have 30 days to decide. My realtor suggests to drop the price to $450K and see what happens before the 30 days is up. Can't hurt, eh? Although, that may be dumb because as some of you pointed out what if the buyer backs out, etc. Hmmmm...my ulcer hurts.
Did your agent work a net sheet for you to see what you'll net if you sell the home at the listing price of $450?

If your commission is 6% you'll only receive 423 after commission and before closing costs, repair costs, etc. So that's less than the 432 from your company.

If the commission is 5% it's only 427.

If it's 4%, then good luck in finding a buyer, and if you do you'll still get only 432 after commission.

And that's assuming you get full price, which you won't unless the home is priced under the market.

It seems to me that trying to sell it is a losing proposition for you.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:27 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
If you lower your price to $450K, after you pay realtor fees, will you not actually end up with less then the company has offered?

$450K - 6% commission ($27,000) = $423,000.
$450K - 7% commission ($31,500) = $418,500.

What am I missing but both of these are less then the offer for your company offer of $432,000. Given these figures you'd be better taking the company offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals