Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:20 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times

Advertisements

This is the description of a house I saw online. Seriously? Who writes these things? Don't they access to spellcheck? I'm just surprised it doesn't offer a 'dinning' or 'wreck' room like some of the others I've read.

I'm no grammar nazi, but I would not feel comfortable dealing with an agent who can't spell as bad as this person. . Quite honestly I'd wonder about his intelligence level and question whether he's capable of handling a home buying transaction.

Description

COMUTTER'S DREAM! NESTLED ON A QUIET ROAD IN A DESIRABLE SECTION OF TOWN SITS THIS BEAUTIFUL CAPE SURROUNDED BY GREENERY AS YOU APPROACH YOUR DRIVEWAY. A PRESTINE MANICURED LAWN SURROUNDS THE WALKWAY AS YOU APPROACH THE STAIRCASE. INSERT KEY, OPEN THE DOOR TO YOUR BRIGHT AND AIRY FOYER. AS YOU ENTER YOU WILL NOTICE ORIGINAL OWNERSHIP PRIDE AT EACH TURN. HOME FEATURES 3 BEDS, 2FB, LIVING ROOM W/ WOOD BURNING FIREPLACE, SKYLIGHTS, EIK, WOODEN FLOORS THROUGHOUT, FAMILY ROOM WITH SLIDER DOORS TO LARGE DECK OVERLOOKING DEEP YARD. CLOSE TO MAJOR HWYS & CONVEINTLY IN-TOWN TRAIN STATION, MEANS EZ COMMUTE TO NYC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 10:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Yet you have numerous gaffes in your post.

Still, I agree with you. It makes one wonder if the agent - he or she - had a fellow agent or the seller themselves OK the remarks.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:42 AM

652 posts, read 1,304,565 times
I've seen way worse. My all-time favorite is still the "gorgeous kitchen with a huge panty in the corner"!

Last edited by lindy112; 10-02-2016 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: Error

Old 10-02-2016, 08:21 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
I remember when I was sailing around the Caribbean in the 80s that shop owners would often put out signs with misspellings and backward Ss on days that the cruise ships were in port. The intention was to give cruisers the impression that they had found a unique local shop not catering to cruise passengers that they could get a bargain from.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy112 View Post
I've seen way worse. My all-time favorite is still the "gorgeous kitchen with a huge panty in the corner"!
The visual alone would make me crack up laughing but it wouldn't have any impact on my impressions of the agent, or whomever wrote the description. I've been guilty of leaving out letters, or words too. My mind thinks faster than I type.

I think that description as written has a lot to do with the caps the writer used too. They come off as being 'commanding' and if someone is going to write all in caps, at least get the spelling correctly.

You have to forgive me. I think my post was more of a vent because I'm looking for a home in an area where there is a lot of inventory, prices are all over the board, and I seriously think I'm going batty from looking.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I remember when I was sailing around the Caribbean in the 80s that shop owners would often put out signs with misspellings and backward Ss on days that the cruise ships were in port. The intention was to give cruisers the impression that they had found a unique local shop not catering to cruise passengers that they could get a bargain from.
I went to the Caribbean 2 years ago and saw shops like that so they're still doing it. And it works.
I bought some designer items there and when I got home I checked Amazon and they were a lot cheaper. Lol..

Maybe that is the writer of the descriptions marketing strategy. It kind of worked in a way. Out of all the houses I've seen or read about that's the one I remember most.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:41 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
When I sold my home last year my first realtor was a FOAF. He produced a flyer & listing that were rife with misspellings and really bad photos. After a couple attempts to get him to edit it, we parted ways and I listed it with a professional.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:44 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Our favorite is one I will censor for mixed company here: But it had a "Great big d_ck for entertaining guests!"

Which missing vowel you put in there makes all the difference!

Old 10-02-2016, 05:19 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Our favorite is one I will censor for mixed company here: But it had a "Great big d_ck for entertaining guests!"

Which missing vowel you put in there makes all the difference!
Are you trying to say that a great big d*ck is not good for entertaining guests? Imagine the disappointment of the buyer...

Old 10-02-2016, 05:36 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals