Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

NC Realtors: honest, home buyers, real estate, realtor, new construction.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:18 PM

305 posts, read 1,802,220 times

Advertisements

How do I know which is the RIGHT one to choose? Every time I visit a web site (and I have to enroll just to browse listings) I then get bombarded with email. How do I know who to trust?

How do I know who to give my life over to?

Response to "What I wanted to hear."

If I ask a realtor, "How far is it from the nearest grocery store to this development?" And they tell me it's 5 minutes away; THEN I google the address of the house and find out it's only 5 minutes if you are teleported - that's not what I wanted to hear. I wanted the truth. Being disabled, it's important to know the truth about these types of things.

Again, I'm not contacting anyone. I've been browsing web sites looking at homes to decide what we do and don't want and I end up getting all these unwanted emails.

A lie of omission: "It's quiet and peaceful here." Except for the train that blows it's whistle every hour it goes by - and that includes the middle of the night!

A lie of omission: Not telling me there are high frequency towers in the backyard.

The reason I am looking at houses now is because I'm trying to zone in on new housing that won't even be finished until I'm ready to move, I'm trying to find out what we want in a house and what to expect for the money I'm spending (that's not unreasonable, it's a pretty practical thing to do at this point IMHO) so that the Realtor doesn't waste time showing me stuff I won't be interested.

I KNOW that the houses I might pick now WILL NOT be available THEN ... that's not the point. The point is I have a frame of reference to give the Realtor to say THIS is what we want. This is what we like and this is what we are flexible on; and truthfully, I thought this would be very helpful to a Realtor who does not know us personally.

Are you telling me I'm wrong to do all this research? That I'm wasting my time?

By the way, every single email I get from a realtor when I'm looking at any web site, I immediately shoot back a response and tell them up front that I'm not moving until June 2009 AND I'm just browsing.

A few have been persistent and email me every other day with links to properties I either can't afford or just doesn't have what we need as disabled people.

And that's another reason why I have to start so early. We are two retired disabled people that need time to do this move from one state to another. It's not like we can just pick up and move like regular folks, it takes a lot of planning to make sure this is no more stressful than it has to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,715,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post
How do I know which is the RIGHT one to choose? Every time I visit a web site (and I have to enroll just to browse listings) I then get bombarded with email. How do I know who to trust?

Have you tried sites like realtor.com? I would also recommend getting subscription to the local newspaper for MANY different reasons. Since you ARE so far out by reading the daily news for this totally new area you can get the inside scoop and rundown on everything from bond proposals, road issues, expansions, new developments coming/finishing, the "last phase opening up" of subdivisions you might be interested in, and a WHOLE list of other things. Especially being that you are both disabled you could find out what areas offer public transportation to those that might need it. For instance in our area the public transportation has a special service for the elderly and disabled that they can order a small bus/van to pick them up at their door to take to doctors visits and bring them back home. You can find out what areas have YMCA's or activity centers and libraries w/ programs or ones that are anticipated. All of that kind of news will be trumpeted in that paper. It will also give you the homes section for new homes and existing.

If I ask a realtor, "How far is it from the nearest grocery store to this development?" And they tell me it's 5 minutes away; THEN I google the address of the house and find out it's only 5 minutes if you are teleported - that's not what I wanted to hear. I wanted the truth. Being disabled, it's important to know the truth about these types of things.

I see this on C-D all the time and not just from the realtors but just flat out those that don't know any better. Whenever I say something about one particular city/burb and their horrible road conditions & multi road construction and how BAD it REALLY is I get blasted. In honesty I'm just trying to let these people know that have NEVER EVEN BEEN HERE get a real picture of the scope of things. This is a toughy no matter how you slice it. This is when as I said before the services offered by the local public transportation if you want to use it can be INVALUABLE!

Again, I'm not contacting anyone. I've been browsing web sites looking at homes to decide what we do and don't want and I end up getting all these unwanted emails.

I HATE sites I have to register just to browse. The ONLY people I'd be contacting now are the local chambers of commerce to send you a newcomers packet to get a better feel for the area and what each one would have to offer. They would also be able to tell you about certain areas of housing development and a good realtor to contact.

A lie of omission: "It's quiet and peaceful here." Except for the train that blows it's whistle every hour it goes by - and that includes the middle of the night!

In our area the trains are required to sound the horn when approaching a crossing. Only because too many morons have tried to beat the train. They do it 24/7 and even though I'm about a mile from the nearest train track I can hear it on a clear night but not to where it is LOUD! Check w/ the local zoning to see if the city/town your interested in also has this requirement of all trains when approaching crossings.

A lie of omission: Not telling me there are high frequency towers in the backyard.

Sometimes the realtor may not really know if it is not their listing and they have not personally seen the house. Go to google earth and also the Google Street View map if it is available in the area your looking and get a good feel for what is around the houses your finding.

The reason I am looking at houses now is because I'm trying to zone in on new housing that won't even be finished until I'm ready to move, I'm trying to find out what we want in a house and what to expect for the money I'm spending (that's not unreasonable, it's a pretty practical thing to do at this point IMHO) so that the Realtor doesn't waste time showing me stuff I won't be interested.

I KNOW that the houses I might pick now WILL NOT be available THEN ... that's not the point. The point is I have a frame of reference to give the Realtor to say THIS is what we want. This is what we like and this is what we are flexible on; and truthfully, I thought this would be very helpful to a Realtor who does not know us personally.

Not really wasting your time but I'd start w/ the local newspapers and the chambers and city websites to get a better feel for what areas you want to concentrate on. THEN contact a realtor that knows that area(s). By then you will know yourself what the area has to offer for you and your family and what need to depend on someone that may not be as familiar w/ your needs. Might even try contacting a local support group to see what areas they recommend.

By the way, every single email I get from a realtor when I'm looking at any web site, I immediately shoot back a response and tell them up front that I'm not moving until June 2009 AND I'm just browsing.

A few have been persistent and email me every other day with links to properties I either can't afford or just doesn't have what we need as disabled people.

Probably automatic emails that just get "blasted" to everyone that is on their list. Not all realtors do that as they know it does you and them no good but just gets some upset. How to avoid it I don't know except finding sites that do not require registration to just browse. Wish I had a MUCH better answer than that

And that's another reason why I have to start so early. We are two retired disabled people that need time to do this move from one state to another. It's not like we can just pick up and move like regular folks, it takes a lot of planning to make sure this is no more stressful than it has to be.

Good luck..........

Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 5 days ago)

43,081 posts, read 76,631,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post

You are not wrong to do this research. Not at all.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:19 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,875,854 times
If you are looking for new construction why are you looking at resales? What's happening is you are getting listings that come from the generic specifications you are putting into the search criteria and they are just automatically coming to you. All of those emails should have an opt out link...opt out if you want or let them come (from ONE site) and keep track of the market that way. Then, call a Realtor®, speak to them, see if you like them, tell them you want new construction with certain specs, what would that cost, can they send you the packets on the developement. Or go to the builder's websites, look at floor plans, pricing, etc.
You're getting so many emails because you are going to so many different Realtor® websites...why? Pick a site, pick up a phone and speak to someone. Explain your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals