U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:22 PM

791 posts, read 2,643,029 times

Advertisements

For those of you that are real estate agents, on average how many hours do you work per week? and has this amount changes since you first started?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 06:34 PM

31,592 posts, read 55,307,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
For those of you that are real estate agents, on average how many hours do you work per week? and has this amount changes since you first started?
I used to have a roofing company.
I spend a lot of time in real estate, but none of it is work...
When people tell me they are working hard, I tell them, "Let's get a pallet of shingles, and a tall ladder to carry them up, and see which is harder, real estate or toting shingles."

About 70-80 hours/week in real estate.
Practice breeds efficiency.
I use a closing coordinator and that helps me a lot, and gives better service than I can do when I'm running around with my hair on fire.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:17 PM

13,740 posts, read 31,556,293 times
I average 40 or so. The great thing about real estate is you can put as much or as little as you want into it. Obviously the rewards depend on what type of effort you put into it.

I am paperless, and have an online transaction management system, which saves me a ton of time. I can access my paperwork from anywhere, so I can fill my cracks of time with work.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:23 PM

I agree with you, it's not quite physical labor that's for sure, lol

I met an agent that works about 30 hours a week and makes really good money, that's what I'm talking about!

Do you find that many people in real estate exaggerate how many hours they really work?

Wow 70 to 80 is a lot of hours, is this due to networking activities?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I average 40 or so. The great thing about real estate is you can put as much or as little as you want into it. Obviously the rewards depend on what type of effort you put into it.

I am paperless, and have an online transaction management system, which saves me a ton of time. I can access my paperwork from anywhere, so I can fill my cracks of time with work.
I am surprised that it is so full time, I realize that you can put in as little or as much as you would like but I was always under the impression that you could really make it with 25 to 30 per week.

May I get the name of the transaction management system that you use?

Do you like your job?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:10 PM

6,069 posts, read 12,672,404 times
I work from my home office, and get up between 4 and 5 am. I go straight to make coffee and then I'm at my desk. About two hours of my day is spent online on C-D and another forum.

When I return from appointments I go back to my desk and usually quit between 7 and 8pm. During the day I may run personal errands or go to Chamber of Commerce meetings in between appointments or paperwork. Those C of Cmeetings are part of my work because I'm building relationships that will help my business and help me to help other business people with their business.

Sometimes the work is simple such as meeting a prospective client for coffee or lunch, but it is all work. It's about building relationships; getting to know people, and getting to be known, so they know if they can trust you.

So I could probably average that time out and say that I spend 60 hours per week working at real estate.

There is usually one day a week that I will devote quality time to my wife, and at times take time off to have quality time with our grandkids. The beauty of the job is, first of all, I like working with people, and second, the hours are flexible so you can schedule your personal time into your calendar.

For example, tomorrow I'll quit at 3pm because we're going to a Celebrity Waiter Dinner with the Chamber of Commerce. It's a night when the town officials, like the fire chief, police chief, mayor, and others will serve as our waiters. The theme is Sinatra night and they have a Sinatra like singer singing Franks tune. So that is a night that is part work because it's a continuation of the relationship building portion of the job; and it's a fun evening where my wife can dress up and go out for a nice dinner and entertainment.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 PM

13,740 posts, read 31,556,293 times
redwhiteandblue,
Yes I like real estate. I don't think you would do well on so little time put in, but I guess it depends on how you spend your time. I blog, spend time on forums, head to city council meetings to stay in tune with development happenings, etc. That is all part of working and staying on top of trends. People are paying us to know things, our expertise, so you need to spend time learning about what is happening in the world of real estate and the community.

I, like Captain Bill, love the flexibility. I spend Thursday mornings volunteering at my kids school. You tend to weave together work and personal life and I think how well you like real estate depends on how well you can make it work with your real life.

I have a tablet pc, so I can sit in my car, if I am 15 minutes early to get my kids from school and answer emails really fast, pull a listing, or review a doc. To me, it's all about efficiency.

I don't think we are allowed to promote anything in the forum, so I will send you a pm with the system I use.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:43 PM

3,913 posts, read 10,068,924 times
I work about 50-60 hours each week by the time I add in volunteering and networking events. After a corporate job working 60-80 hours per week plus traveling, I'd say this is much easier...and a lot less stress (I hate flying)!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 AM

4,149 posts, read 9,111,944 times
About 50-60 a week here too. I have gotten very good about taking time off to spend with my family too though, which is hugely important. I've started trying to get home at about 6. From there, I'll leave my laptop on in the other room and check email every hour or so, just in case. Unless something comes in that's super important, I'll tell clients that I'll get on it in the morning and most respect that.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:56 PM

8,844 posts, read 17,440,566 times
50-60 hours a week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals