Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,937 times

Advertisements

Zillow.com ? What the heck! :O/ In the last two days my house has decreased by $47,000? It was 52% higher 3 weeks ago! If thats accurate I'm bediddled! :O/ What's up Zillow! Check recently sold propreties before you believe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 02:08 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
IMHO: Zillow Zestimates are Zuseless

Old 12-28-2009, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 4,346 times
It depends on the area. Each Market is different an is forever changing day to day. It comes down to the buyers. What they are willing to pay. Check sales in the area of intrest for the past 2 months. The typical time used is 6 months. But in this shifting market, the changes are more frequent.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:16 AM

181 posts, read 409,292 times
Zillow is inaccurate, not just regarding values!

If you want accurate information regarding local real estate prices, which homes are actually on the market, local market trends & conditions, not just ball park figures, consult a real estate professional that is local.

I will say the trolls on the forums of Zillow can be entertaining.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:49 AM

148 posts, read 585,096 times
In my area, it's very inaccurate. I think the info is from tax records, so when you combine a neighborhood where the tax values are way above actual market value with an algorithm showing prices increasing where they've been decreasing, it's way off. A lot of the homes on my street, including my own, have "Zestimates" over twice what they are worth.

The prices for the sold homes I have found are accurate, so you may want to use those, if there are any nearby and comparable to your own home, to get a rough idea of what it may be worth. Of course, it also doesn't account for situations there - the ones I'm thinking of are a foreclosure and a FSBO that sat on the market for over 4 years until the owner's ex-husband bought it to stop her from going into foreclosure.

For larger cities/metro areas, Zillow has a page showing the data coverage and zestimate accuracy: Data Coverage and Zestimate Accuracy - Zillow

Old 01-23-2010, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,937 times
Whats up with Zillow? My home droped 80K in just two weeks! ???????

Old 01-23-2010, 03:34 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by make3over5 View Post
Whats up with Zillow? My home droped 80K in just two weeks! ???????
Your home did not drop $80K in two weeks.
Zillow dropped your Zestimate $80K over two weeks.
That is two separate topics.

But, Zillow is not a real estate site. It is an advertising site in a fantasy world and should be disregarded.
In towns where their Zestimates are within 10% of market sales, they award themselves 4 stars for accuracy.
They can be off by 25% and still award themselves 2 stars.

Advice from here:
Forget about it.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:39 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
I agree with Mike that Zillow is useless. Want to know how much your home is really worth ? Call 2 really good agents in your area and ask their opinion.

If you go with Zillow you might as well get a dart board and chunk a few darts at prices. You're luck will be about the same.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:06 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I agree with Mike that Zillow is useless. Want to know how much your home is really worth ?
LOL. I'd much rather take Zillow's Zestiguess on my own home. I'm only hoping that they will pay me what they say my house is worth. I'll be happy to do the transaction for $1 commission. They do have an out, the range in value is from 205K to 413K.

SWEET!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:49 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
I'm a little bit shocked to realize zillow is much more accurate on my house than Realtor.com is. Zillow is within 2% of my recent market appraisal and shows the last date of purchase. Realtor.com does not show the last purchase and gives an estimate that is about 40% less than the appraisal value.
So is the moral of the story not to trust any online source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals