Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:01 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,604,028 times

Advertisements

Ask a lawyer. If you realtor is in financial need he/she will tell you you have no choice just because they want to have the deal done. Don't trust one person get more advise before you get caught up in more legal trouble, but to me as a non lawyer, non realtor it sounds that expired is expired that counts for everything. If the parking time is expired tell the police you needed just more time and see if you can get away with the ticket...only if the police is very nice you can, same for here although it is a weird example to compare...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,579,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Ask a lawyer. If you realtor is in financial need he/she will tell you you have no choice just because they want to have the deal done. Don't trust one person get more advise before you get caught up in more legal trouble, but to me as a non lawyer, non realtor it sounds that expired is expired that counts for everything. If the parking time is expired tell the police you needed just more time and see if you can get away with the ticket...only if the police is very nice you can, same for here although it is a weird example to compare...
I understand you don't like realtors but your constant bashing does nothing to further the conversation.

There were many well thought out answers to the OP and many were from realtors.

To the OP, you say you had a noon deadline and but it came back after the noon deadline. How long after? Did they possibly sign it and then it just took an hour for an agent to drop it off?
If you are talking a difference of an hour or so between the deadline and when you received it back you may have a hard time proving this, especially if you have taken further steps along in the process.
I understand you are looking for an out but it seems like you are also trying to divert blame from yourself to your agent. Is the agent to blame because you found a house you like better after you signed for the first one?

Old 03-04-2008, 03:35 PM

469 posts, read 1,482,164 times

Hi cmeibe, glad to here that things worked out. Hope you get the other house and enjoy it very much and always remember we are here to help you out.

Last edited by Beretta; 03-05-2008 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: cut deleted, quoted post

Old 03-04-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If you are going to quote me please do not cut and paste what you choose to quote, use the whole post.
The first part was a response to Bentlebee.

You were also placing blame on your agent for not showing you the other area in your original post. "..then discovered another great house in the area that I like. (I feel like my realtor should have known about because she new my area of interest)."
Isn't a buyer right if he tells a realtor which areas he likes and shouldn't a realtor act to help the buyer, isn't that why a client signs a contract and why a agent gets paid?

Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 PM

10,916 posts, read 21,890,647 times
Quote:
Isn't a buyer right if he tells a realtor which areas he likes and shouldn't a realtor act to help the buyer, isn't that why a client signs a contract and why a agent gets paid?
Seems to me that's what happened.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:50 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,386,625 times
Folks, please keep the postings appropriate and avoid personal attacks. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:38 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,579,095 times
Quote:
The buyer signed a contract for a home. It seems to me that is the best indicator of the buyer liking an area. The realtor seems to have done their job.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The buyer signed a contract for a home. It seems to me that is the best indicator of the buyer liking an area. The realtor seems to have done their job.
But he had told he liked the other area as well and wasn't told there was a home for sale. I know a realtor can stop after they see a home they like and get an offer but shouldn't a realtor act to the wishes of the client and show other homes in the desired area. I think so, than you will see the difference between a realtor and a good realtor who loves his job and wants his client to be happy. That is why listening is very important and part of the job. I know gas prices are high and it is no fun to keep driving around but it will pay off when the client is happy with his new home and that will speak around and is the best advertisement, not cutting off the corners. Well soon the good realtors will survive and other will find a another job.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:44 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,743,367 times
Quote:
But he had told he liked the other area as well and wasn't told there was a home for sale. I know a realtor can stop after they see a home they like and get an offer but shouldn't a realtor act to the wishes of the client and show other homes in the desired area. I think so, than you will see the difference between a realtor and a good realtor who loves his job and wants his client to be happy. That is why listening is very important and part of the job. I know gas prices are high and it is no fun to keep driving around but it will pay off when the client is happy with his new home and that will speak around and is the best advertisement, not cutting off the corners. Well soon the good realtors will survive and other will find a another job.
I re-read the OP's post, and we do not have sufficient information to know what really happened, so it is not proper to place blame on a realtor for something that is unknown.
Quote:
I am relocating. I took a house hunting trip and and found a great house but not in the area that i want to live. I put in an offer and then discovered another great house in the area that I like. (I feel like my realtor should have known about because she new my area of interest). the sellers of course accepted my offer (why else would I be writing this thread) BUT it was after the noon deadline for acceptance. can I get out and can I get my ernest money back?
From that post, it's obvious that the OP is relocating. S/he took a trip to see some houses, and found a "great" house and put in an offer. So perhaps the realtor was rushed to accommodate the OP's schedule. Maybe they were scheduled to see the other area, but the buyer liked this home and said this is all I need to see. We don't know.

When a client wants to put in an offer, that means they have made a decision. We have no clue as to what was discussed between the agent and the OP in regards to how the purchase decision was made. The agent may have had many more homes to see in various areas including the "area of interest".

We only know that the OP found a great house and liked it well enough to make an offer. He did not say that the agent coerced him into buying the house and to stop looking further. So it appears as if the agent did the job properly. S/he found a home for the client; it was a "great" home, and the OP liked it well enough to make an offer.

If s/he did not want to be in that area, then the offer should not have been made. The OP should have continued searching in the area of interest.

The question now is can s/he get out of the contract, (without losing the earnest money, and that is a question for the agent. A quick answer is yes you can get out of the contract and get your earnest money back if there is something wrong during the home inspection that you don't want to accept.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 AM

51 posts, read 304,064 times
Default Happy ending

Well It all worked out. I get the house I want and my realtor gets a higher commission for a higher priced listing. All is well that ends well.
But I have enjoyed the debate so I will give more detail.
I am relocating, and set up a weekend to look at houses. I explained where i wanted to live. there was nothing available that met my needs, so we looked at a neighborhood just to the west. the houses were mostly picked by me from what i liked online. we found a short sale that was a great deal. but I would have and hour drive to work with traffic. the next she showed new neighborhood to the east of what i wanted. all of the houses were outdated and the area has more crime that i am comfortable with along with declining schools. I went back home and my realtor continued to provide info on the short sale nothing else. it was a great deal great house so i went for it. I had to come back to town for business. I went on line and found some houses to look at as back up. she found a few too. one again I hated what she picked and loved one I found.
Once again it all worked out in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals