Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:21 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times

Advertisements

I would love to get the perspective of professional real estate agents on my question.

We are moving from So. California to Kentucky and are wondering if paying cash for a home might give us greater barganing power when we go to purchase. Thank you for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 06:28 AM

126 posts, read 595,421 times
Yes, a cash offer gives one great bargaining power. The two biggest contingencies usually in an offer are the buyer's home sale and their obtaining of financing.

An offer with neither of these contingencies is what every seller wants.

-Mark

Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I would love to get the perspective of professional real estate agents on my question.

We are moving from So. California to Kentucky and are wondering if paying cash for a home might give us greater barganing power when we go to purchase. Thank you for your answers.
Absolutely. I have seen two offers, one for all cash, one for financing go on the table at the very same time, and the cash offer, even though it was less, was accepted. The harder the times are to sell, the more barganing power cash has.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 AM

882 posts, read 3,536,886 times
Cash offers nearly always carry more leverage than offers based on financing contingencies..

Old 03-04-2008, 08:15 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
True. Use an all cash offer to get the house and then apply to have a mortgage - never have all your money tied up in a property.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 AM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
True. Use an all cash offer to get the house and then apply to have a mortgage - never have all your money tied up in a property.
Hi Cattknap! I see your posts on the KY board sometimes. Don't mean to hijack your thread, I was just wondering what 2bindenver means by "then apply to have a mortgage."

2bindenver: Are you saying to buy the house lock, stock, and barrel all the way past closing, and then apply for a mortgage? I don't understand the process of applying for a mortgage when the house is all paid for. How does a person finance something they already own? I don't understand. Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post

2bindenver: Are you saying to buy the house lock, stock, and barrel all the way past closing, and then apply for a mortgage? I don't understand the process of applying for a mortgage when the house is all paid for. How does a person finance something they already own? I don't understand. Can you please elaborate? Thanks.
Yup. It's not fair to the seller to give him an all cash offer and then change lanes and get financed. But once you own it you can mortgage it. Think of it as a refi - without the *re* part.

Last edited by 2bindenver; 03-04-2008 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: I am a *

Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,081 times
Wouldn't that be like an equity loan? You already paid for it, so you have 100% equity, and now you want some of that cash.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
The whole point is we don't want a house payment, or an equity line of credit payment or any other kind of payment - we will be retired and don't want any debt of any kind.

I appreciate everyone's answers and it is very good to know that paying cash is a good thing right now.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:19 PM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
The whole point is we don't want a house payment, or an equity line of credit payment or any other kind of payment - we will be retired and don't want any debt of any kind.

I appreciate everyone's answers and it is very good to know that paying cash is a good thing right now.
Looks like you'll be in a good bargaining position when you're ready to make the move!! Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals