Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:11 PM

661 posts, read 832,364 times

Advertisements

Certainly I agree there will be the occasional buyer whom may not be tech savvy and need the agent to search for them. The data today strongly suggest the majority of home-shoppers start their search online themselves, and search for homes

Generally speaking the majority of buyers are searching for their own homes online, here is what NAR said: These are older stats, they are even a bit higher today in 2017.

-90 percent of home buyers searched online at some point during their home buying process. (NAR 2012 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers)

-100% of home shoppers used the internet to research a specific home. (NAR 2012 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers)

-78% of new home shoppers visit 3+ sites prior to taking action on a real estate site. (Google & Complete New Home Shopper Survey, 2012)

-89% of new home shoppers use a mobile search engine at the onset and throughout their research. (Google & Complete Home Shopper Mobile Survey, 2012)

Study: 90 percent of homebuyers searched online when hunting for a new home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
That's true for people who are tech savvy enough to negotiate the various websites. But, not everyone is. And if you are working with someone who isn't tech savvy and who hasn't bought a home in more than a couple decades, then I would hope that a realtor would adjust their expectations of the buyer.

My relatives situation is in flux. While the realtor has made adjustments, there are serious issues with inventory at my relative's new price point. That is something the realtor can't do anything about, and my relative is also struggling with the size and finishes of the inventory she is seeing. To be honest, based on my recent conversations with my relative she wants something larger, nicer, and in a better neighborhood than she can afford. So I think my relatives realtor is going to have her work cut out for her. She has a client who isn't comfortable with technology and so won't look for properties, is very picky, has a limited budget and time period in which to buy, and she's dealing with the most limited inventory the area has seen in years. The realtor is going to earn her commission and then some with my relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 03:03 AM

68 posts, read 89,981 times
Hi,
In my opinion, If someone hires a realtor to buy a property, then finding a property according to buyer requirements is the responsibility of realtor.

On the other hand, If a buyer has some specific requirements related to buying a property, then he/she can tell to the realtor.

Thanks!!

Old 04-30-2017, 06:36 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
I have found this to be true in my area.

I searched for a house in another part of the country and the realtor was wonderful-- got to know me, my preferences and lifestyle, made a lot of suggestions, showed me things I might not have otherwise considered that I ended up liking. I just thought that this was what realtors did.

Then I moved to a big urban area. Realtors (several) advised that I used Redfin or something like it to find what I wanted to see and let them know. They were also disinterested after taking me out once for a showing of a few places if I didn't make an offer--much slower to respond or set up another tour. I don't know about you, but I can't plunk down a significant chunk of money after seeing a place once for 10 minutes. I fired a couple of agents until I found one who was more helpful and patient.

I think many realtors in "hot" markets may not want to be bothered with going the extra mile or waiting a bit for an offer. But as a client, I want my realtor to make suggestions based on what I tell them. Why am I paying you if I am doing the up front legwork myself?

Old 05-01-2017, 02:29 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
So I am hoping to get feedback from the pros here. I have a relative that is selling her home, and using the proceeds of the sale of her home to downsize to a condo (which she will pay for in cash). In the area that my relative lives in there is only 1.4 months of supply so it's a very hot market, and things are compounded by the fact any condo she buys must have a low HOA fee (as she's on a fixed income).

She's hired a realtor to help her sell her house and help her find a new house. But this realtor has basically told my relative she will need to identify properties online and tell the realtor what she wants to see. While this may work for many people, there are perhaps 5 houses that meet her criteria for sale in the area she wants and they are all under contract. Isn't a realtor suppose to do more than that? What is a reasonable expectation for a realtor in this situation?

I am concerned this relative can't really afford to live in the area that she wants to live in, but without a rewltor showing her things in other area's she's going to end up homeless (as she has to sell her current home and has no where to go once her house sells).
If she was buying 20-25 years ago the realtor rolling up their sleeves calling and looking for a house would be normal. Now with the internet you can do a lot of searching yourself. You can tell your agent go look fir houses that gave this that and the other bring me back what you find. That's their job. To find houses.
yoir agent should of had you in the MLB and you should be getting all the new listings that fit your criteria. Have they done that?

Btw you don't sell in that manner. You put a contingency once you find a house and you're closing your house purchase the house sale closes too simultaneously. This way you're not homeless. You move out and back in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals