Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 AM

286 posts, read 1,322,278 times

Advertisements

I know some brokers who take on agents for referral business only. Most want agents who are active. Each broker has their own criteria on who they accept as agents. Best to talk to a few and find out BEFORE going through the classes and licensing exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Very true

I don't feel any urge to take any classes. I'm too busy anyway with my own properties. I was just wandering how easy or tough it was for a person to get licenced and start working as a realtor.

However, after all the info that everybody gave me on this thread, to me it seems pretty easy to succesfully take the exam and get licenced Again, I have had numerous encounters with agents through the years where I was the one ending up doing most of the work or solving problems at or before closings.

So I guess it's up to the individual realtor to really make a difference from all the rest, once he/she starts doing transactions and show his/her level of success in the long run.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:38 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
It's well publicized that a real estate license is one of the easiest licenses to obtain in the state of Florida. In Tampa Bay there are several really good training schools. Training is also available CBT and online, but one misses the dialogue, socializing, and possibly other experiences by not being in the classroom. Not sure if I can put it here, but I took Bob Hogue's training for both associate and broker licensing. After pre-and post license training, 14 hours every 2 years is all that's required to maintain an active license. That said, some of the test questions are written to encourage incorrect answers. For example, many of the multiple choice questions say, "choose the most correct answer from the following list of choices." Grrrr. I HATE those types of questions. I met one lady during my last testing that said she was trying to pass for the 13th time. A re-take costs around $35 which isn't bad, but come on....

I would recommend any new agent sign up with a broker who offers support and training to start with if for nothing else to learn the business (training only teaches how to pass the licensing test). After a good year or two, there are many brokers in our area that will take an associate who pays a monthly fee and a per transaction fee. I've done it for the past three years and I wouldn't want it any other way (I like being in control and with less supervision). When the market stablizes a bit, I plan to venture out on my own. Managing brokers pay double licensing and fees.

And not all agents are Realtors. A Realtor has joined the National Association of Realtors which requires additional though minimal training on a code of ethics and annual dues. I also know a lot of agents who got a license for their own investment purposes and have never represented a customer in a transaction.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:36 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Thanks TampaKaren.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:21 PM

5 posts, read 13,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Can anybody give advise on how to become a licensed realtor in Florida?
Don't be scared It's not me who wants to become a realtor.
I'll apreciate all advise.
Take a quick look at this article. You might find it helpful.

[URL="http://www.floridathesunshinestate.com/florida-mortgage-refinance/florida-real-estate-brokers-license.php"]Florida Real Estate Brokers License[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals