Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,137 times

Advertisements

How does the technology work - can we just drop by and get access without calling or requesting a show time? What is the usual method?

If Rachel (wife) gets her license can I work as an agent assistant and get access to properties? What about putting in offers? Would I as an agent assistant be able to get access to houses if we did this - as currently Rachel works full time. We buy mostly REO (vacant) homes. Does that system where you request a timeslot 'preclude' or somehow interface with the eKey app to get access?

How do we go about finding brokerages that would be in line with what we have to offer/etc?

If we disclose early on to a broker that we would like to start our own brokerage down the road would this be a positive/negative, or what?

THANKS MUCH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 11:02 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
You need two things to get access to properties... the license and the MLS membership dues. Your biggest expense will be dues and memberships. There are many! And they are not transferable to a partner, in order for you each to have independent access to properties, you both have to have license and membership.

Most REO homes don't require an appointment, they're "vacant - go show" with lockbox. Lockboxes aren't timed access, they're on or not... cooperating with any showing instructions is up to the agent, not the box.

Brokers probably won't care if you think you want to start a brokerage down the road, but I think it's a big premature to even mention it.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:03 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
No, you cannot just drop by or get access without calling or requesting a showing. Even on REO's the listing agent has an obligation to keep the property "secure." You must request a showing, even if it just means submitting a showing time electronically. Often that will be the only requirement for showings.

To my knowledge showing systems (I'm familiar with Centralized Showing) don't sync up with key systems. There maybe some systems that do sync. Key systems can also be set so that they only operate during certain hours.

Whether an unlicensed assistant can access properties will vary from MLS to MLS and state to state.

Regarding your broker question: On the one hand as a broker I wouldn't want the responsibility for a part-time(no time) agent with an assistant under the circumstances you describe. On the other hand, I know that few people will "make" it under the circumstances you describe thus I'd be happy to make some money off of you until then.

An older thread on the same topic: becoming your own realtor to buy/sell houses

Last edited by rrah; 03-26-2017 at 11:18 AM..

Old 03-26-2017, 11:52 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Agent access is specific to one agent. You can't share your key between two people. If your wife works full time why would she get her license and not you?

Old 03-26-2017, 12:54 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
In my area, showingtime is separate from e-key access - some agents require it, most don't on *unoccupied* properties. Occupied properties require notice & how much notice is required is noted in the Mls "private" data - those are mls fields that only an agent can see (doesn't get published on zillow).

I don't think any state will allow an unlicensed person to show properties, so an "assistant" won't be able to get e-key access anyway (even if the mls allowed it, and they don't). Sharing an e-key is a major fine here.

Assistants couldn't legally prepare an offer in my state, the state considers preparing a contract to be a "limited practice of law", which has a carve-out for licensed people, but not one for their assistants.

Further, at least in my state, if you're the "investor", and you're related to the "agent", you have to disclose that to anyone you do business with.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:16 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
OP to do what you want, you need a license. Without it you'll be very limited on what you can legally do.
Then with it you'll also have to comply with State Regulations.

You don't want to risk your wife losing her license.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,137 times
Thanks, that's helpful. Reason we have talked about my wife getting the license, is twofold.

She tends to have a more amiable personality, which may help in certain circumstances. I am a rougher on the edges engineer and sometimes a bit of a doofus when it comes to relationships.

The other reason, has to do with the longer-term division of labor. She works full-time currently, but the longer-term outlook is for her to step away from her full-time job. In that circumstance, her having the license might make more sense, but in the current situation, I'm the one with the more schedule flexibility, so would be using the ability to access properties, put in offers, etc., more actively right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals