U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:26 AM

613 posts, read 1,932,329 times
Default Thank you gift for Realtor????

Hi Everyone...I was hoping to get some feedback from professionals in the RE business.

Is it customary for a buyer to give a thank you gift to their realtor? And if so, what? Wine, flowers, or something more??

My realtor has gone above and beyond for me. She got me a great deal, upgrades, and landscaping extras so I won't have to look at cut down tree stubs. She even gave me personally 3 gifts: $3400 in closing credit, garage door opener w/installation, and paid someone to paint my garage. I would like to get her something to say thank you, but not sure what and if I should. I really know nothing about her likes or hobbies, so I'm limited in that regard. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Last edited by msjack; 03-10-2008 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 11:42 AM

10,797 posts, read 17,758,087 times
I have gotten a lot of thank you gifts from clients, but since you don't know her interests that makes it harder. One of my clients recently gave me a really nice large bag with my logo emblazoned on it. They filled it with all sorts of wonderful things for me, including some joke items. I worked with them for two years, and we had many trials and tribulations in the process. I really liked the gift because it was so personal.

Since you had such a great experience, maybe a "spa day" with a massage, facial or something to pamper herself. After working so hard she deserves some pampering...I loved my bag because it was such a personal and thought out present.

Then I would offer to take a box of her business cards off her hands, and hand them out to everyone you know. That is really the best gift!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:50 AM

16,160 posts, read 21,801,705 times
Indeed, referrals are the very best gift - but something like you mention is definitely welcome and really goes a long way.

And you sound like a great client!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:54 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,554,904 times
msjack, it's nice to hear you had such a wonderful experience with a Realtor. Gifts that I have received that I appreciated have been gift cards to a nice restaurant(i.e. Mortons, Ruths Chris) and day spa for a massage. The best gift I receive is when a client tells me they really appreciate what I have done for them and asks for a handful of my business cards that they actually pass out to friends and relatives and encourage them to use me as their Realtor.
Enjoy your new home!

Old 03-10-2008, 11:56 AM

25 posts, read 121,875 times
A family member of mine is a realtor, and like yours, continually goes above and beyond for her clients.
She has been given spa gift certificates and restaurant certificates and truly appreciated and enjoyed both.
Anything thoughtful is always nice. It is not necessary to go overboard as far as cost.
And referrals are definitely welcome!

Old 03-10-2008, 01:08 PM

1,814 posts, read 3,656,110 times
I got one a couple of weeks ago from a client that I worked from with for about 8 months from initial inquiry to closing. They gave a nice thank you card which is on my desk (which reminds me I need to email them saying a house a couple of doors down sold), a very nice bag for a laptop and $100 gift card to the local mall. They also did recommend me to a couple of their friends which I am starting to work with.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Status: "Road tripping through cities on my way to Fargo, ND" (set 13 days ago)

469 posts, read 934,750 times
I think its great you are such an appreciative client and very thoughtful person. Although it is not necessarily customary for the buyer to get their agent a gift I have recieve several over my career.

The very best one I ever recieved contained the following peices.

1. A card that was made with some sort of publishing software that was very personalized containing refrences to events during the buying process.(My favorite)
2. A unsolicited referal letter that I used ended up using on my webpage.
3. Two referals of freinds (These are the life blood of a good agents livelyhood).
4. A request for a large number of my business cards that my clients wanted to keep on their person to hand out if they ran into anyone looking for an agent.

Hope that helps and I always love hearing about people who have been taken care of by my colleagues. Makes me proud of my choice in profession.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:27 PM

4,758 posts, read 7,806,953 times
Be careful, it may be illegal in your state to give your Realtor more than referrals.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:04 AM

15,385 posts, read 19,863,664 times
On tv I have seen realtors giving gifts to the buyer as well. (buyers agent) Are realtors doing that to sellers as well as a thank for their payment of 6 or 3%?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 AM

6,952 posts, read 10,607,279 times
A card and a referral when you have is all we need. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals