Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 06:04 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,706,617 times

Advertisements

In Pennsylvania: I was recently told that an offer cannot be submitted to a seller's agent without documented proof of necessary funds attached to the offer? Is this actually the law now?
I can understand a buyer wanting proof within a few days of an offer that has been accepted etc, but it could be a lot of hoops to jump through to provide that just for an offer. So does ANY type of offer have to have proof of mortgage approval or funds at the time of an initial offer, nowadays?
Thank you in advance for any response to these academic questions.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 06-25-2017 at 06:44 PM..

Old 06-25-2017, 06:57 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,727,361 times
It is not a law, but it is an expectation. You can make the offer without the proof of funds (if you can find an agent willing to waste their time), but you have a 0% chance of it being accepted. No seller is going to take their home off the market and risk finding a legitimate buyer without having proof that you can purchase the home.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:24 PM

6,469 posts, read 10,329,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
It is not a law, but it is an expectation. You can make the offer without the proof of funds (if you can find an agent willing to waste their time), but you have a 0% chance of it being accepted. No seller is going to take their home off the market and risk finding a legitimate buyer without having proof that you can purchase the home.
Excellent points.

When I was a realtor, I would not present an offer without proof of funds to the seller. It would be a complete waste of my time, the potential buyer and the seller. On top of that, my broker would not allow it as all transactions had to be approved.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:48 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Post above is right.

It's not a law, it's about how seriously your offer will be taken without it.

After offer acceptance is too late. The proof of funds (or mortgage preapproval) is what helps seller decide if offer is a good offer.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:59 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
How can a seller take you serious if you can't even show them that you have the cash to make a cash offer? Many people submit cash offers to beat out other offers, and then turn around and finance, pushing the closing date out. It's a huge risk for a seller to accept something without knowing if the buyer can actually perform or not.

No law needs to be in place for common sense... well... you would think...

Old 06-25-2017, 09:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Screw all the silliness. Your agent should make the offer. The seller can decide to say go away until you show the cash, accept conditionally if you show the cash, or accept and demand proof of cash within the week.

Interesting enough if it is a couple of million deal they will wait a week. If it is 200K they want it before accepting.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:15 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Screw all the silliness. Your agent should make the offer. The seller can decide to say go away until you show the cash, accept conditionally if you show the cash, or accept and demand proof of cash within the week.

Interesting enough if it is a couple of million deal they will wait a week. If it is 200K they want it before accepting.
First, there was no mention of a buyer's agent. It was the seller's agent who was saying that the offer cannot be submitted without proof of funds.

Second, I absolutely agree with the listing agent. You can put any amount on the offer you want, but it's meaningless to me until you show me you can actually pay it.

Third, there is no way it should take a week to get proof of funds. If it was a situation where there wasn't any activity on the house and this was the only offer in months, I would suggest to my client to give you 2 business days at most to come up with a letter or a statement. If you can't do that then you're just wasting everyone's time.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:08 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Proof of funds needs only to be a letter on your bank's letterhead saying you have enough cash on hand to purchase a house at $XXX. They don't - and shouldn't - say what your deposit is.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:41 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,519,632 times
I advice my sellers to not consider any offers without proof of funds. You don't want to be locked into a contract, and find out they don't have the money to buy. Often these types of people are "hoping" to get an inheritance, sell a property they own, or have a parent lend them the money...all which usually never occur.
If you have the liquid assets to pay cash, you can get proof of that in about an hr. No reason NOT to be able to provide it with an offer.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:58 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,426,122 times
Absolutely. If I get a cash offer on my listing, I need to have proof of the money before I let my clients sign off the sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals