Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:58 AM

930 posts, read 2,418,533 times

Advertisements

You sound nice. I would hire you.

What is your regular full time job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:19 AM

739 posts, read 826,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
Thank you for your inputs. Actually, I'm free after 3pm from Monday thru Saturday. I'm allowed to take any one day off between Monday and Saturday. Free on Sunday. I'm only interesting in becoming a buyer's agent. I know there's no way for me to be a seller's agent due to schedule.
OK, let's say I want to go look at homes during the day while my kids are in school (before 3:00). Or how about if we're in the middle of a critical negotiation and I need to talk with you. Or we need to meet the inspector and he is only available before 3:00 that day. Are you going to be able to accomodate me? If not, I'm finding a new Realtor. Listen, I know you mean well, but after 25 years, I've learned that this business is very often about what is good for the client, even though it may not be good for you.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:25 AM

10,916 posts, read 21,887,882 times
Quote:
Hello, I've been in NC for over two years now and I love it. I'm thinking about going to the real estate school and get myself a broker license. I want to be a realtor part-time for extra income, not to live on. I have a full-time job that I love and I plan not to leave that job.

Is it possible for me to be a realtor part-time? I can do the realty work after 3pm from Mon to Sat, with any one day off per week PLUS free Sunday. Is it possible? Earning one commission every three or so months would be no problem for me.

What do you think? I hope realtors here in this board can give me some ideas.
Real estate is not a part time job. Save yourself the time and money and find something else to do. Not only would you end up probably costing yourself a second income and losing money on fees, but you could seriously damage someone's life if you don't do your job right (which is more likely to happen since you aren't committed to RE).

Oh, and for the posters mentioned 9-5, there are no full time Realtors that are 9-5. Full timers work A LOT. I work 60+ hours a week, and I've never had a week where I was 9-5 all week. Full timers are the ones who ARE available on evenings and weekends. Part-timers get off a job and want to go home, not go on an appointment or show homes for another couple hours.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:43 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,962,262 times
Its not about the hours you can work, its about the dedication of doing a job full time versus a hobby. Would you go to a part-time surgeon or attorney, regardless of their schedule?

A part-time agent simply can not keep up with the changing laws, market and requirements of a this job. It is a professional job that requires dedication to the position and the clients you service. In my opinion a part-timer is not going to be able to give their clients the level of service, education and committment that they deserve.

That said, most companies will hire you without a thought. They look at it as a numbers game, same as you. If you can get them 1 transaction every few months its extra money to them as well. As you get no salary, unless you become a liability becuase you make mistakes then you are "free labor" and will hopefully make them a profit.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:44 AM

281 posts, read 1,105,903 times
Quote:
Thank you for your inputs. Actually, I'm free after 3pm from Monday thru Saturday. I'm allowed to take any one day off between Monday and Saturday. Free on Sunday. I'm only interesting in becoming a buyer's agent. I know there's no way for me to be a seller's agent due to schedule.
actually....a buyer's agent takes a great deal more time

Old 03-11-2008, 11:47 AM

15,518 posts, read 40,261,953 times
I don't mind working with part-time agents where real estate is their only job. The problem you create with your schedule is that you can't take care of anything within a timely manner. It makes everyone's jobs harder. Real estate is not a hobby, and quite frankly you need to close at least one deal a month, in my opinion, to stay on top of market trends.

While it might work for you to do this, you will be doing your clients a great disservice. You just can't be a good agent and close a deal every 2-3 months. I think it depends if you want people to lump you in the category of used car salesman, or if you want to be considered a professional. We have enough used car salesman in the industry...

Old 03-11-2008, 04:19 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,776,772 times
I'd strongly suggest you look for a Realtor who needs an assistant - rather than trying to establish yourself as a Realtor now. I'm afraid attempting to become a Realtor as a part time job is almost certain to drain your wallet and break your heart, ...but it IS possible to find a part time job as a Realtor's assistant.

But don't take my word for it - call your local board of Realtors and ask for a rundown of the dues and fees you'll face to start.

Best of luck,

db

Old 03-11-2008, 04:39 PM

469 posts, read 1,482,047 times
Just dont do it. Unless you are going to work for a team as a buyers agent and they have someone to pick up the slack when you cant make it. Otherwise you are going to have unhappy clients and be very frustrated.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,879,105 times
Well, I'm going to be the lone wolf out here. It all depends on what you expect out of it and it appears that you aren't expecting that much. A deal every three months or so is definately do-able even part time. So, you're going in without much expectation. That's a start. Next you would have to find out if the cost is worth it. The schooling, the cost of the license, the cost of the association, the cost of getting your name out there. If you are working with buyers who are not in a hurry, no big deal. If you are, you refer them out. As a matter of fact, there are agencies out there that will allow you to hang your license with them, not be a member of the board and just refer customers in, which, if you can get them could bring you in a little income also. Learning the laws and such isn't really all that much of a biggie...you go to class, you read or read online, you speak with your broker and co-agents. As for doing your customers a disservice, well, if you are dedicated to a customer and not spreading yourself thin, know the area and neighborhoods and know to ask for help when it's needed, you should do just fine. I know a couple of 'part time' agents. They don't do a lot of closings but they do do some and supplement their income. They ask for help when they need it. They do just fine for their customers.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 AM

930 posts, read 2,418,533 times
Okay, let's not get carried away comparing surgeons and attorneys to realtors.

Two of these require 7 years of education and one requires a 2 week course and a state exam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals