Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:02 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,845,791 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had luck with the seller paying closing costs? Or how about any good quick programs that allow the buyer to roll over the full amount of closing costs into the mortgage?
Thanks
Colleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 08:16 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,735,355 times
Well, all I can say is that if I were the seller, I would not pay closing costs. But then again, my properties are paid off so I'm not desperate, either.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,897,199 times
It's pretty typical here to ask a seller to pay all or part of a buyer's loan closing costs. If the buyer needs more than what a seller is willing to pay, you can add it on to the price of the house and still have it come out of the seller's proceeds. The house still needs to appraise for the sales price, so you can't usually push this up too high to cover closing costs unless the house is priced really well.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
It's pretty typical here to ask a seller to pay all or part of a buyer's loan closing costs. If the buyer needs more than what a seller is willing to pay, you can add it on to the price of the house and still have it come out of the seller's proceeds. The house still needs to appraise for the sales price, so you can't usually push this up too high to cover closing costs unless the house is priced really well.

I am assuming this is different than seller concessions? correct

Old 03-12-2008, 08:40 AM

no - they're the same thing - a seller paying part of the buyer's loan costs to purchase the house is a concession.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
no - they're the same thing - a seller paying part of the buyer's loan costs to purchase the house is a concession.

well here in ny, we are only allowed up to 6% and now with the mortgage situation its gone down to 3% which wont cover the full closing on say a 100k home

Old 03-12-2008, 08:49 AM

5,340 posts, read 14,085,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Well, all I can say is that if I were the seller, I would not pay closing costs. But then again, my properties are paid off so I'm not desperate, either.

Why not?

If you were to get $206k for a property you are willing to sell for $200k, you would not be willing to pay $6k for the buyer's closing costs??

Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,919,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Why not?

If you were to get $206k for a property you are willing to sell for $200k, you would not be willing to pay $6k for the buyer's closing costs??
A seller paying the buyers closing costs is just to make it easier for the buyer to purchase their home. If they aren't under any time constraints or don't have to sell, then a seller shouldn't have to.

You can always add the closing costs to the price of the house so you won't be taking a hit and the buyer doesn't have to pay for them up front.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:04 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,201,907 times
It all depends on the seller's and buyer's motivation. Often when a seller offers less of a co-broke than my buyer is responsible for, I get the seller to include the full fee as part of their concessions. They actually didn't save anything, and got less than full service.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
well here in ny, we are only allowed up to 6% and now with the mortgage situation its gone down to 3% which wont cover the full closing on say a 100k home
I usually talk with the buyer's lender and find out how much they need covered and write the offer based on the information they provide. If it's not allowed by the lender, then the buyer needs to come up with money. If they don't have it, then they're not really a qualified purchaser and should be waiting until they have funds available to complete a purchase.
I am getting ready to close on a purchase where the list price was $164,900 - the buyer's agent wrote up the purchase for $169,000 with the seller contributing $10,000 to a special loan program for first time buyers that covered their downpayment and closing costs. The net offer was $159,000, which was pretty reasonable in this market. It's the same result as having a cash buyer come in with an offer of $159,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals