Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:24 AM

43,261 posts, read 77,033,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
We were "that house" when we bought our current home, although we brought it up to ship shape much, much quicker. We knew there was a gem buried under there...and there was.

Still to this day, 4 years later, there will be neighbors walking by who will say, "oh YOU'RE the one who bought that house...THANK YOU!"

Like I tell my buyers, "If you tackle this one, you have a golden opportunity to be a local hero."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 10:30 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,727,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
We were "that house" when we bought our current home, although we brought it up to ship shape much, much quicker. We knew there was a gem buried under there...and there was.

Still to this day, 4 years later, there will be neighbors walking by who will say, "oh YOU'RE the one who bought that house...THANK YOU!"
Oh, I can't wait for it to be done. But the new owners WAY overpaid, especially if they are doing all of the trash removal.

They paid $8K less than I did. They closed about 10 weeks after I did. According to the list, that house is about 100 more square feet. However, there is a large 'mud room' between the house and the garage that is just wasted square footage. Long and narrow- probably about 200 square feet. So, my house has more usable square footage. My yard is twice the size and backs up to woods. They back up to a different subdivision. I have a three and a half car garage, they have a two car garage. They have baseboard heat, I have forced air and air conditioning. They have aluminum framed windows (likely original), mine are vinyl. My house was meticulously clean inside and landscaped outside. That house is a mess. The previous owners in my house obviously cared about their house and it has made things so easy. Everything is labeled- the furnace filter had the date it was installed, the smoke detectors had the date the batteries were replaced, all of the extra paint is downstairs and they labeled it when they painted the room (month, year). They were obviously on top of things- which has made my life so easy! That alone is worth that $8K- not to mention not hauling junk and having the nicer house overall

Old 08-03-2017, 06:56 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Only 2k escrowed. I'd have pushed for it to hurt. More like 10 or 15k if they aren't out by 5 pm or something with additional compensation for damage or painting.
The sellers were only walking away from closing with about $6000 total, so $2000 was 1/3 of their net proceeds.

Fortunately, this all worked out. But I have learned a big lesson!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:00 AM

43,261 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
The sellers were only walking away from closing with about $6000 total, so $2000 was 1/3 of their net proceeds.

Fortunately, this all worked out. But I have learned a big lesson!
Great and Great!

Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals