Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 10:42 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,203 times

Advertisements

I have this issue also in another forum asking for more technical advice.

But for the many Realtors that visit this forum, I like to know whether or not cracks in a driveway make much difference in buyers minds?

This is an original driveway on a 17 year old house. It's divided into 6 sections. One of the sections has 2 diagonal cracks on opposite corners. There are larger than hairline cracks, one a little less than 1/4" and the other is shorter but about 1/4". The rest of the driveway is sound, as is the foundation, sidewalk and concrete patio. Assuming the cracks in the driveway don't indicate any foundation issues, is this a real issue when it's time to sell? The cracks were only hairline when I purchased the house. But now they're bigger. I'm told by concrete contractors that have looked at it, that they won't get any bigger, don't pose a functional issue, they just don't look nice, and patching them would look even worse aesthetically.

So basically the choices are to spend big bucks to replace the 1 pad or entire driveway, or do nothing at all and not worry about it.

So Realtors, tell me your opinions here. Concrete work is very expensive and I wouldn't recover any costs when I sell so I'm tempted to just leave it alone and concentrate on using that $$ for other internal upgrades like bathroom or flooring.

Will this kind of cracked driveway hamper the sale of the house? Do people really care?

All opinions are welcomed & appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 10:46 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
IF the surface is even and level, i.e. not a tripping risk.... I wouldn't consider driveway cracks to be a big deal. Inspection will mention it, probably as something to monitor going forward... but not as something that absolutely needs to be fixed.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:54 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
What is your price point and how does that price compare to the area? If you are selling a starter home below the average home price in the town, I would not even consider replacing it. If you are selling a $500K home in a town full of $200K homes, replacing it may be worth considering.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
What is your price point and how does that price compare to the area? If you are selling a starter home below the average home price in the town, I would not even consider replacing it. If you are selling a $500K home in a town full of $200K homes, replacing it may be worth considering.
Thanks - this help put it in perspective and makes sense. I was looking for a guideline like this.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
IF the surface is even and level, i.e. not a tripping risk.... I wouldn't consider driveway cracks to be a big deal. Inspection will mention it, probably as something to monitor going forward... but not as something that absolutely needs to be fixed.
I don't think they pose a tripping hazard. The worst crack is on the outside corner near the side yard. Just by general settling of the 6 pads, some are a little lower than others, but I think this is normal settling on a driveway of this age. Guess we'll see how things stand when we sell.

So it seems it's all about a possible tripping hazard and not aesthetics necessarily. Thanks for your input!

Old 09-12-2017, 12:20 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
If it's level I wouldn't worry about it. If it's being pushed up by like a tree root or something address it.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:42 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
I would contact another concrete professional. I am on the BOD of an HOA and we have been dealing with sidewalk issues for almost two years now. Look for a refinisher. We had gaps (trip hazards). He patched and resurfaced an large chunk of sidewalk and they look new. I was so against this at first, but it's been almost two years and its holding great. Cost a fraction of replacement. We had a small staircase one contractor told us it would be $6500 to fix. The resurface cost $1200. No, it won't last 12 years, but it's keeping us out of hot water from trip and fall claims.

If your market is hot, it may be unnecessary. What does your Realtor say? Are you priced at the top of your price range? Curb appeal is everything - it makes the difference if they get out of the car. The rate of return on your investment (repair) is key.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:12 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
How it impacts the look of the home should be part of the consideration.

For example, if the drive is in a prominent position and it grades upward from the street, it impacts the curb appeal more than if it's more to the side and grades downward from the street.

There's also the 'neat and tidy' test. Sometimes cracked surfaces still can look tidy when you view the property (as opposed to closely inspecting the drive) and other times they immediately distract your eye, making a property overall look like it's in disrepair. Also, some homes have a 'relaxed' and soft look and imperfections can distract very little. Other homes are more formal or clean and modern and imperfections don't fit as well.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I would contact another concrete professional. I am on the BOD of an HOA and we have been dealing with sidewalk issues for almost two years now. Look for a refinisher. We had gaps (trip hazards). He patched and resurfaced an large chunk of sidewalk and they look new. I was so against this at first, but it's been almost two years and its holding great. Cost a fraction of replacement. We had a small staircase one contractor told us it would be $6500 to fix. The resurface cost $1200. No, it won't last 12 years, but it's keeping us out of hot water from trip and fall claims.

If your market is hot, it may be unnecessary. What does your Realtor say? Are you priced at the top of your price range? Curb appeal is everything - it makes the difference if they get out of the car. The rate of return on your investment (repair) is key.
I don't have a Realtor because I'm not selling my house. Just thinking of ramifications of the driveway condition when I DO sell the house someday. Yes, I have been thinking that finding someone to fill the cracks and resurface the driveway may be the way to go. Having trouble finding that someone who will do both. This is gonna take a while, and is NOT my favorite thing to do... dealing with contractors of any kind.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:47 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I don't have a Realtor because I'm not selling my house. Just thinking of ramifications of the driveway condition when I DO sell the house someday. Yes, I have been thinking that finding someone to fill the cracks and resurface the driveway may be the way to go. Having trouble finding that someone who will do both. This is gonna take a while, and is NOT my favorite thing to do... dealing with contractors of any kind.
Any chance you can post photos?

I cannot picture the extent of the cracks from your description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals