Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 07:53 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Absolutely, it is the entire point. This is not at heart a real estate conversation.
And I'm not sure it's a real fun hobby, but who am I to judge?

Old 10-17-2017, 07:55 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
And I'm not sure it's a real fun hobby, but who am I to judge?
As you know, I enjoy a vigorous agency discussion, but there are times to cut the losses and move on to sincere people on CD. This is one of those times.
There is no lack of sincere people with whom to engage.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:23 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
I've found CD more enjoyable again once I quit reading JB, RH, and LH's posts. I just skipped right over them to the next one. They always wrote such long posts it took a while to get through them anyway. This self research seems to have really paid off for RH. He's gone from needing info on every detail, large and small, to being a well versed expert overnight in all facets from contracts and agency to inspections. Pretty amazing really.

Also, what happened to our friend LH? She's disappeared altogether.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:44 AM

340 posts, read 223,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
"shoot me your email" does not equal post your email. Click on my username, and up pops a box that includes:

send a direct Message to BoBromhal
email BoBromhal

or, you can readily google my name. The entire first page of results you'll receive is for me. But since all of that is beyond your expertise, I'll send you a DM with my email. You'll see it pop up on the top right of your screen.

Also, not that it matters I am sure - "I've done just about everything to a house except burn it down" is not a statement of qualification. My FIL has done the same, because he believes he's capable of doing 99% of things cheaper than a licensed pro. And our country is full of DIY-ers and their errant projects.
Let's be fair here Bo. Trying to decipher what people's names are going by their user name alone can be a difficult if not futile task, so I really had no idea what your name was until you sent me a link to your website.

I thank you for that. As I said in my message to you in which I gave you my email, viewing contracts from multiple states can help not only in better understanding them as whole, but can also aid in the re-wording of local contracts if amendments need to be made, or clauses added/removed.

Although I'm not seeing anything in my inbox as of yet, I am looking forward to browsing the document's content, and appreciate your generous offer to share it.

I'm not at all sure that it is pertinent to the conversation what my entire list of exact current qualifications are, as the word "qualified" is merely someone's opinion, but besides what I've already told you regarding my years of experience general contracting, custom home building, remodeling etc. I am currently a full time real estate investor. It took me many many years of loooong hours to get to where I'm at; knees in the dirt, hot sun, or icey rain, mouthfuls of insulation doing whatever it takes. It hasn't all been bad either, and for the most part, I love it everyday.

As a general contractor, working primarily in residential housing, its my job to know the job of the person showing up to perform a task before they show up.

My specific areas of specialized knowledge include, but aren't exclusive to:

Doors
Windows
Roofs
Cleaning
Shoveling
Complete Septic systems repairs and installation
Complete Electrical systems repairs and installation
Complete Plumbing systems repairs and installation
Complete HVAC systems repairs and installation
Basements
crawlspaces
insulation systems
flashing systems
Human tape measure
waterproofing
mold remediation
radon remediation
termite remediation
decks
yards
drainage systems
treehouses
tiling
drywall hanging and finishing
wood finishing
painting
interior exterior lighting
knuckle dragging
knuckle busting
basically all the same stuff your FIL does

Rick

Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
sorry that I was in a meeting. There's nothing in my inbox - and I've checked the junk and clutter folders too. Even checked my sent items, and I spelled it right for you.

No worries - folks spell it Brohmal all the time. It's Bromhal. Bo @ BB.com

Old 10-17-2017, 10:47 AM

340 posts, read 223,065 times
No worries, I never sent you an email, but just a direct message on this website, as you had asked me to do. I gave you my email in that message, which should be in your inbox here.

Thanks

Old 10-17-2017, 11:08 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy_house View Post
Well other realtors do see it as a real issue whether or not a buyer can perform their own inspections, as they have expressed. Some say no, and that the buyer can only accompany an inspector who is doing an inspection. This is a real issue for the buyer, seller and agents who are at odds due to poorly worded contracts regarding the logistics of things.

Your issue is that the agent should ALWAYS be there, and I agree with you, However, there are others who clearly disagree, and nowhere am I being shown any MLS rules that state what the mandates are.

What are the rules stating ethics, regarding the agent's duty to attend inspections? Why does this still seem to be the million dollar question? Who is right, and can show proof that they are right about what they are stating?

So, are you in agreement that taser weapons should be permitted to agents who aren't sure about the buyers qualifications?

Where exactly in your stated duties as a brokerage or agent, or Where in the contract does it specify that you are to be the one who decides who is "qualified" to inspect and who isn't?

From what I gather, you as the broker/agent shouldn't have ANY say what-so-ever when it comes to the choice of inspections or inspectors.

If I as the buyer decide to take off an electrical panel cover, I am fully allowed to by most agreements that I'm aware of, regardless of whether you think I'm qualified or not.

Most agreements will say something along the lines of "Buyer may conduct Non-invasive or Non-destructive inspections". This means that I as the buyer am allowed to remove an electrical panel and even move a wire or two around if I feel it's necessary. This is neither invasive or destructive, as I wouldn't need to shut the system down, and prevent it from performing its crucial tasks, nor is it destructive. It is simply an inspection, which is my right to perform, and not something that you or your brokerage should feel responsible for. Especially if your contracts obviously say that you are not, as you have claimed.
Poorly worded maybe. I think they are worded in such a way that exonerates the agent should someone inspect that doesn't know what they are doing. And everyone should keep in mind that just because it says you have the right to hire licensed and bonded people does not mean that you have to. Having the right to do something does not mean that is what you have to do. It isn't a law anywhere that I know of that you can't do your own home inspection.

Yes the thread did take a turn, but I think it is an important issue to discuss if there are those out there that would block someone from inspecting a house.

And I do agree with you about who decides who is qualified. The person doing the hiring does in any case.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy_house View Post
LOL. I just didn't want to share my email on this thread, and not sure how to send it to you as I normally don't engage in private messages on these boards.

I'm not afraid to send you my email. Send me yours and I'll gladly send you mine. I would appreciate looking at the contract as well. It really shouldn't be a problem for you to just paste an excerpt or even the whole thing here but whatevs. Maybe Mike has you paranoid with his "copyright infringement" conspiracy theory he's been selling
Again anyone that wants to do that should write out on every page in big letters, sample, for review only and put Mickey Mouse in all the blanks for names or whatever. I don't understand how it would be a copyright problem to do this. I would want people to read it and ask any questions they may have. Isn't that my job?

Old 10-17-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Absolutely, it is the entire point. This is not at heart a real estate conversation.
Not since you ruined it with the cat tree discussion.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:18 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Not since you ruined it with the cat tree discussion.
mea culpa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals