Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:38 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

in someone else's perfect liability world, we would neither recommend inspectors, nor attend the inspection. Nor would we advise the client, who sees 3-5 inspections in their life, what items meant that weren't gone over in person with the inspector (hint - many inspectors don't cover really minor issues in-depth).

Old 10-12-2017, 06:45 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
in someone else's perfect liability world, we would neither recommend inspectors, nor attend the inspection. Nor would we advise the client, who sees 3-5 inspections in their life, what items meant that weren't gone over in person with the inspector (hint - many inspectors don't cover really minor issues in-depth).
This post is completely incomprehensible and incoherent.

Please repost if you wish people to understand what you're trying to say.

You're talking about "someone else's perfect liability world...". This is cryptic and nobody knows if you are being sarcastic, you are describing something you disagree with or what the heck you're trying to say. Master basic articulation before you try to use irony or other more advanced literary techniques. One step at a time. Writing with finesse is a noble aim but try to keep it simple and walk before you can run.

The second sentence is equally mauled. "what items meant that weren't gone over..." makes no sense and I can't even guess what you're trying to say.

A two sentence post. Both completely botched beyond recognition. Should be so easy. No idea what this post is attempting to say.

Anyway, if you're trying to say that agents should not recommend inspectors, then I completely agree with you. As a consumer, i can find my own inspector and I prefer one that is as independent from the transaction as possible. I want my inspector to be as awkward and "inconvenient" in the sale as possible. I prefer an inspector who is not favored by the agents. One that feels no sense of reciprocity with the agent or generally with the agent community (in business, being recommended by another business has a value).

Sorry to be harsh with my feedback on this post, however, sometimes the most difficult feedback is the most helpful in life. It's very important that you articulate your ideas clearly and simply. Most consumers like to work with people who are straight talkers and have the skills to communicate clearly. For example, if a client needs to ask you about the status of his sale, he doesn't want a lot of nonsense that he can't comprehend. He wants a simple, professional and clear answer. Nobody is going to come here, read this nonsense and just assume that you will magically communicate better if you are their agent. This stuff is important to how you represent yourself and I suggest that you work on making improvements.

Others have mentioned the issue of a buyer from a remote area. I did this in my last purchase. I spoke to the inspector beforehand by Skype to "interview" him, make him aware of any concerns I had, and to get a feel for his process and what's included and excluded. The agent arranged for the physical access and notification with the seller, etc. I then spoke directly to the inspector again over Skype and he took many photos of the inspection and gave me a full explanation along with his written report. I did not need an agent as part of my interaction with the inspector. This was a very old property with complex construction techniques and I knew the agent had very little depth of understanding of the details of this type of construction. He'd be completely lost in the discussion and I don't need people involved who can't add real value in that step.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:35 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Question: why do people feel the agent must be present at inspections?
First, because our MLS rules are quite clear on this. The buyer's agent agrees, when given access to MLS information and lockboxes, that we will accompany anyone allowed on the property. This isn't optional.

Secondly, because the above makes perfect sense from a liability and security standpoint, and as a listing agent, I promise my sellers that no one will be in seller's home unless they are accompanied by a licensed agent who will make sure the home is respected and safeguarded during the process and secured when we are done.

That's what we agree to when we belong to the MLS, and doing otherwise in our market results in big fines and other disciplinary actions.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 10-12-2017 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: clarity...

Old 10-12-2017, 09:38 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
First, because our MLS rules are quite clear on this. The buyer's agent agrees, when given access to MLS information and lockboxes, that we will accompany anyone allowed on the property. This isn't optional.

Secondly, because the above makes perfect sense from a liability and security standpoint, and as a listing agent, I promise my sellers that no one will be in seller's home unless they are accompanied by a licensed agent who will make sure the home is respected and safeguarded during the process and secured when we are done.

That's what we agree to when we belong to the MLS, and doing otherwise in our market results in big fines and other disciplinary actions.
And, it differs by MLS, let alone state or region.

I recommend an inspector who is a REALTOR and an MLS member. Termite guy who is a REALTOR and MLS member.
Either can access any lockbox that is open to MLS members.
What they cannot do is allow a consumer to enter the property with them. I attend all inspections for my buyers, if at all possible, and stay there as long as my buyer is there.

But, I sure don't go to all termite inspections, and don't open the door for the home inspector who is collecting radon monitors.
That access is a basic capability that any inspection vendor should have in our MLS.

Here, as I said in Post #2, the OP surely can perform his own inspection.
He would have to work within some acceptable parameters of activity and with the realization that the inspection could be considered as "Informative Only."
No access without an agent who is liable for his activity.
No destructive or intrusive investigation. No opening of service panels. No access to the property without his agent present.
No credibility in negotiations regarding defects, particularly if a licensed tradesman's opinion could be warranted unless he has licensing, although our Due Diligence Period does afford him some leverage over a recalcitrant seller.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I recommend an inspector who is a REALTOR and an MLS member. Termite guy who is a REALTOR and MLS member.
Either can access any lockbox that is open to MLS members.
What they cannot do is allow a consumer to enter the property with them. I attend all inspections for my buyers, if at all possible, and stay there as long as my buyer is there.

But, I sure don't go to all termite inspections, and don't open the door for the home inspector who is collecting radon monitors.
That access is a basic capability that any inspection vendor should have in our MLS.

Here, as I said in Post #2, the OP surely can perform his own inspection.
He would have to work within some acceptable parameters of activity and with the realization that the inspection could be considered as "Informative Only."
No access without an agent who is liable for his activity.
No destructive or intrusive investigation. No opening of service panels. No access to the property without his agent present.
No credibility in negotiations regarding defects, particularly if a licensed tradesman's opinion could be warranted unless he has licensing, although our Due Diligence Period does afford him some leverage over a recalcitrant seller.
The most important thing I think I've learned from C-D is how different Real Estate rules and customs are in different parts of the country. It is sometimes confusing for clients who are moving from one area to another, who may hear conflicting things from their listing and buying agents in different places based on different customs in each place.

Radon and special Termite inspections are not common or customary here, so in the event a special secondary inspection was warranted, I would imagine I would attend with my buyer even if the inspector was an MLS member, as it would almost certainly mean there is some particular cause for a needing this extra inspection.

I agree the buyer can perform his own inspection, with the caveats you listed. And I wouldn't let him up on the roof, or into really tight spaces under the house. Depends on the buyer and how nimble/skilled they are.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
This post is completely incomprehensible and incoherent.

Please repost if you wish people to understand what you're trying to say.

A two sentence post. Both completely botched beyond recognition. Should be so easy. No idea what this post is attempting to say.

It takes a genius to parse a two-sentence post over numerous paragraphs.

Since the post wasn't written to you, I really don't care if you understand it or not.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:43 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

Oregon is the same way. Anytime a buyer is on the property, inspector, contractor, etc the buyer agent is on the property as well. The only exception is appraisers who are members of the MLS. We do a lot of radon and sewer scopes out here so buyer agents are at the home a lot. They are being paid by me to ensure that the property is protected for my clients and for the future homeowners (their clients).

For old homes in there is asbestos, lead paint, or structural inspections, I can be there 5-6 times as a buyer agent. I try and coordinate as many inspections to happen during the full home inspection to minimize that.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:04 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,587,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Seriously? Am I reading this correctly? That just gave me the shivers. Are inspectors commonly REALTORS? This sounds far too close for comfort.

Since there seems to be some backlash against agent recommendations for inspectors (e.g. at least some states are cracking down and concerned with the inherent conflicts of interests), don't you think it's a little too cozy to recommend inspectors who are REALTORS? I mean that seems too 'obvious'.

As a consumer, I would be extremely concerned using inspectors recommended by my agent and I would have a distinct nauseous feeling if the recommended inspector was a fellow REALTOR and the termite guy also happened to be a fellow REALTOR. Please tell me I'm misreading or that this is a typo.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:19 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
Seriously? Am I reading this correctly? That just gave me the shivers. Are inspectors commonly REALTORS? This sounds far too close for comfort.
It does seem like a conflict of interest. Surely said realtor wouldn't also be doing the inspection?

Old 10-12-2017, 11:20 AM

While I have never worked with an inspector who is also a REALTOR, there's nothing inherently wrong with a person being both. They are related fields that one might decide to move into from the other, for an additional value or change in career. Like lawyers who also become CPAs. An understanding of both fields is an added VALUE. And by the way, in this context, just because (ha!) an inspector is also a real estate agent doesn't mean he is YOUR real estate agent. You have a real estate agent. In this role, the inspector is just an inspector... who understands real estate better than some (perhaps).

If you want to be skeptical and find your own inspector, more power to you. I don't mind. I look forward always, to being introduced to new professionals in the industry. If you want to ask me, I will tell you who I know is good, and thorough. I will always, both privately and in front of inspector and client, tell inspectors to please be as critical as they can be on a home. That's why they're there. To look for things that are wrong, and to point out any reasons why this is NOT the right home for this client. I personally do NOT want an inspector to gloss over anything under some false idea that the deal is worth more than the client's interests. It's not. It never is, JB. If there is a fatal flaw in this house, I absolutely want an inspector who will stop and explain it to a client.

The client is worth much more than any one house, JB... I wish you understood that. I am working now with a second family member as a referral, who looked at a house with powder post beetles in the floor beams. This family can't afford to fix such a problem. The contract was cancelled by noon and we found them a better house the next week.

So... stop shivering j_b. It's really not that dramatic.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 10-12-2017 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals