Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 11:14 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,643,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
In our NCAR Standard Offer to Purchase and Contract, we have a line for a "Due Diligence Fee."
Gotcha. We have a very similar clause in our GAR forms, but I have never, ever seen it used. The idea of throwing MORE money at a seller that they can keep if a buyer chooses to walk isn't an attractive one. What if the inspection uncovers a major flaw that the seller refuses to address? Now the buyer is out not only their inspection fees, but also a "due diligence fee"? Oh, hell no. As a listing agent, I can see where it would set a contract apart, but I can also see it being a huge bone of contention. "Well, you didn't disclose you had water damage!" "I didn't know, and besides, the sellers disclosure says 'to the best of my knowledge', so you can't hold me to it."

Possible scenario: Buyer pays due diligence option fee of $2,000. House is discovered to have radon of 25 pCi/L. Seller refuses to mitigate. Buyer walks. Seller then uses $2,000 to mitigate the home, and turns around and sells to a back-up offer that happens to be a better offer that came in after the first offer went binding . . .

*shudder*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 04:53 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Gotcha. We have a very similar clause in our GAR forms, but I have never, ever seen it used. The idea of throwing MORE money at a seller that they can keep if a buyer chooses to walk isn't an attractive one. What if the inspection uncovers a major flaw that the seller refuses to address? Now the buyer is out not only their inspection fees, but also a "due diligence fee"? Oh, hell no. As a listing agent, I can see where it would set a contract apart, but I can also see it being a huge bone of contention. "Well, you didn't disclose you had water damage!" "I didn't know, and besides, the sellers disclosure says 'to the best of my knowledge', so you can't hold me to it."

Possible scenario: Buyer pays due diligence option fee of $2,000. House is discovered to have radon of 25 pCi/L. Seller refuses to mitigate. Buyer walks. Seller then uses $2,000 to mitigate the home, and turns around and sells to a back-up offer that happens to be a better offer that came in after the first offer went binding . . .

*shudder*
Yup. $1000 DD Fee. $500 Home Inspection + $150 Radon test. $$$Loan App.
$2000 is a common buyer investment. It is really tough for first timers who are counting the nickels, and one reason that new construction is so very popular vs. resales.

More than ever before, it is incumbent on a NC buyers agent to work very hard prior to contract to help paint a clear picture of property condition.
To get them to contract with eyes wide open.
I get under a lot of houses, into a lot of attics, and raise as many red flags as possible.
I'm not the home inspector, but my peek is free.

Did the "Ben Franklin" close with buyers this weekend prior to writing an offer.
Long list of both positives and negatives.
We wrote, and if we get an agreement, I sure hope we don't find a real deal breaker.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:43 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,643,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yup. $1000 DD Fee. $500 Home Inspection + $150 Radon test. $$$Loan App.
$2000 is a common buyer investment. It is really tough for first timers who are counting the nickels, and one reason that new construction is so very popular vs. resales.
And that's on TOP of earnest money!

Old 11-13-2017, 12:49 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
in NC, Earnest Money doesn't mean a thing until you've passed your Due Diligence period (inspection period). And our period is almost always at least 14 days, and up to 30 days. Earnest money RARELY becomes due the Seller.

It's my understanding that Earnest Money is refundable almost everywhere, for some period of time. Sometimes it's 7 days, sometimes longer. But there's still a period where it's not as important as Sellers like to think.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:59 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,883,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
in NC, Earnest Money doesn't mean a thing until you've passed your Due Diligence period (inspection period). And our period is almost always at least 14 days, and up to 30 days. Earnest money RARELY becomes due the Seller.

It's my understanding that Earnest Money is refundable almost everywhere, for some period of time. Sometimes it's 7 days, sometimes longer. But there's still a period where it's not as important as Sellers like to think.
Around here (with no DD period), I can have earnest money refunded up until the day of closing (if the buyer never releases whatever contingency has already expired). Some, like home inspection, drop off on their own (assuming any negotiated repairs have been satisfied), or HOA/condo doc review (72 hour from buyer receipt).

Others, like financing, may continue up to the specified date in contract then continue on until either buyer releases it or seller requests it to be released. Most listing agents don't request it be released from my experience. Surely they're taking a risk on their sellers behalf.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:30 PM

as could we (get it refunded to/past the day of closing), which is the primary reason that we changed our contract/process.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:24 PM

11,822 posts, read 34,355,412 times
Not here in Colorado. If the contingency date passes with no Objection, the issue has been accepted by the Buyer.

The only Objection the Seller has is if the Lender makes a property condition correction from the Appraisal.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:13 PM

10,940 posts, read 21,914,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Not here in Colorado. If the contingency date passes with no Objection, the issue has been accepted by the Buyer.

The only Objection the Seller has is if the Lender makes a property condition correction from the Appraisal.
Same here. I'm happy we don't have to deal with buying a DD period. From the outside looking in it seems like unnecessary clutter to the contract.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
please explain what this means.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:26 PM

10,940 posts, read 21,914,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
please explain what this means.
I'll say what I thought per our contract - we have a 10 business day DD and after that expires if the buyer hasn't submitted a repair addendum then they have accepted the home as-is and they bailed they'd lose the EM. However, if any repairs were requested by the appraiser (ie-chipping paint on a VA loan) the seller would need to do those or the buyer can cancel the contract with no penalties and get the earnest money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals