Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 10:16 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times

Advertisements

There's some intriguing scuttle going around that professional auctioneers are starting to take a hard look at the real estate industry's use of "highest and best" offers and are suggest that it might be against the Realtor's code of ethics for an agent to hold themselves out as an "auction" expert in these scenarios. Professional auctioneers have to undergo training and certification, which I would suspect is not something that the vast majority of Realtors have done. The suggestion is that the process of "highest and best" closely resembles an auction, and may not necessarily be conducted within standards established by the National Auctioneers Association.

Thoughts? Are agents acting as auctioneers in cases such as these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 10:55 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
LOL
Everyone wants exclusivity to line their pockets. Whether earned or not, many don't mind manufacturing it.
No, it is not an auction.

And, the COE compels the listing REALTOR® , with the clients' permission, to inform other agents if there are multiple offers.
I wonder who would next consider a multiple offer situation as "similar to an auction," hoping to get a slice of that pie...

Old 11-05-2017, 11:30 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Usually in an auction, you can see and know what the other bids are.

I wish it WAS more like an auction in multiple offer situations, so you could know what you're up against... and you know what you lost to also, without waiting til it closes.

"OK folks, we have a 320K conventional at 60 days... can anyone top that?" would be better and seem less like trickery to nervous clients than bidding up in the blind, not even knowing for sure if they are or are not already the high bidder or whether the other bidders even exist.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:04 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
As an outsider, it seems to me not to be an auction. Not even a silent auction. The reason being, that the seller makes a decision of which contract to accept based on a number of non-equal factors including price and all of the various conditions. The conditions which best fit the seller's needs will vary from seller to seller.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:04 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
The suggestion is that the process of "highest and best" closely resembles an auction
Is ludicrous.

Taking bids on a house is NOTHING like auctioning off a person's tchotchkes.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:23 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
No. It isn't an auction and agents don't hold themselves out as auction experts. We are allowed to negotiate real estate transactions per state laws and have contracts created by attorneys to do just that. It's a totally different process.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:17 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times
What's the basis for the claim that this is against the Realtor code of ethics? What specifically in the code do they say it violates?

Does 'best and highest' have a formal meaning in the context of taking offers? I know it has a legal and formal meaning in property use as related to appraisals but not in the context of offers. Seems like it might be a very loose term.

Related to offers (real estate and other business), the term 'best and final offer' (BAFO) is what I've seen more regularly. I raise this because I believe this may have a more formal meaning, especially in terms of the 'final' part of it. It suggests a more specific process (i.e. taking one more bid from competing buyers or sellers and no further negotiations). 'Highest and best' if it does lack a formal meaning is pretty watered down so I don't really see how it suggests something formal like an auction. BAFO would seem to suggest a process that would be closer to an auction but that even seems like a stretch.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:36 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Usually in an auction, you can see and know what the other bids are.

... or whether the other bidders even exist.
??

It would be a very severe material misrepresentation for a Listing Agent to claim offers in hand that did not exist.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
What's the basis for the claim that this is against the Realtor code of ethics? What specifically in the code do they say it violates?

Does 'best and highest' have a formal meaning in the context of taking offers? I know it has a legal and formal meaning in property use as related to appraisals but not in the context of offers. Seems like it might be a very loose term.

Related to offers (real estate and other business), the term 'best and final offer' (BAFO) is what I've seen more regularly. I raise this because I believe this may have a more formal meaning, especially in terms of the 'final' part of it. It suggests a more specific process (i.e. taking one more bid from competing buyers or sellers and no further negotiations). 'Highest and best' if it does lack a formal meaning is pretty watered down so I don't really see how it suggests something formal like an auction. BAFO would seem to suggest a process that would be closer to an auction but that even seems like a stretch.
in an auction, exactly 1 part of the exchange of goods is up for bid - price.

As others have said, real estate sales have several moving parts which can differ in very important ways to the Seller; in my experience the top 4 after price (and in odd cases, on an even playing field with price) are:

1. cash or financing
2. % of financing
3. closing date/occupancy
4. items to convey

Old 11-05-2017, 03:20 PM

Perhaps the auctioneers would have an easier time going after the Fantasy Football leagues that have auction drafts and auction waivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals