Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 07:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Agreed, but also the seller's agent should have caught and corrected before listing, IMHO.
how many errant websites should the listing agent be responsible for the accuracy of? We are already responsible for our marketing, and our MLS info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 08:56 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
how many errant websites should the listing agent be responsible for the accuracy of? We are already responsible for our marketing, and our MLS info.
Sorry, I didn't mean it in that way. I assumed, wrongly it appears, thar checking zillow would have been automatic, since it's the 600# gorilla. Other than them and redfin I'm not honestly certain what other ones are out there.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:29 PM

340 posts, read 223,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Algorithm
Algorithm Logarithm- What's the difference?

Terminologies are completely interchangeable. Maybe we should start referring to common bs logic simply as a bunch of "jaquish", uh?

Old 11-21-2017, 04:14 AM

7,238 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Agreed, but also the seller's agent should have caught and corrected before listing, IMHO.
What are you people talking about. Anyone can claim any home on Zillow (or Redfin) and make their own corrections. How could you possibly know that anyone even looked at the Zillow listing?

I find Redfin to be super accurate. But Redfin does take the last listing and go with that unless actively changed. So if you added a bathroom or something YOU need to update it.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:25 AM

43,281 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
What are you people talking about. Anyone can claim any home on Zillow (or Redfin) and make their own corrections. How could you possibly know that anyone even looked at the Zillow listing?

I find Redfin to be super accurate. But Redfin does take the last listing and go with that unless actively changed. So if you added a bathroom or something YOU need to update it.
No one should have to "reclaim" their property from any commercial pop enterprise to defend or correct a zestappraised value that has been publicized for profit.

Appraisals should be performed by licensed appraisers.
Licensed real estate agents cannot offer an opinion on market value in many states. They can only offer a CMA-supported "likely sales price."

"Value" opinions are the province of licensed appraisers.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 11-21-2017 at 04:40 AM..

Old 11-21-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post

I just meant it in terms of like a Google search just to see what's publicly out there on a property.

My real estate obsessed friends scour Zillow to casually pre-screen neighborhoods in my overheated market, and would rule a property in or out by the basic info the see there. Like a 3BR house in a neighborhood of 5BR houses, for example.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:04 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean it in that way. I assumed, wrongly it appears, thar checking zillow would have been automatic, since it's the 600# gorilla. Other than them and redfin I'm not honestly certain what other ones are out there.
I am sorry if my response came across too negatively.

Redfin is a brokerage, and once it's listed all of their info should be accurate.

Zillow does allow you to claim a house before it hits the market, and is MUCH easier now than even a year ago to update the house info.

Once Zillow scrapes the MLS feed though, it's nowhere near as easy to make changes.

There are literally 500+ sites that get the data feed.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I am sorry if my response came across too negatively.

Redfin is a brokerage, and once it's listed all of their info should be accurate.

Zillow does allow you to claim a house before it hits the market, and is MUCH easier now than even a year ago to update the house info.

Once Zillow scrapes the MLS feed though, it's nowhere near as easy to make changes.

There are literally 500+ sites that get the data feed.
Wow, I didn't know a lot of that, thanks.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:55 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
I absolutely LOVE Zillow Zestimates!

Their gross inaccuracy helped allow us to buy our current home without a bidding war (virtually guaranteed in our market) and for a very nice price.
Quote:
This is what happened when we were shopping for our current house. Zillow had fewer SF and fewer bedrooms when the house came on the market and the seller never corrected. This is in a desirable neighborhood known for bigger homes. The MLS was correct, but the wrong info on Zillow absolutely knocked out a bunch of potential buyers; it was us plus one other bidder when the norm was a dozen or more.
That doesn't really sound like it was caused by an inaccurate zestimate, moreso by zillow's information being inaccurate in general (which as a side effect would likely also result in a lower zestimate).

Old 11-21-2017, 11:58 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
I got an email from Zillow saying they estimated my condo was worth $440,000. I went to redfin, and their estimate was $176,000. Quite a difference.

Is there any kind of industry insider knowledge about how accurate either of these companies are in their estimating home values?
Did either Zillow or Redfin actually look at your condo? Why would you be concerned over an estimate from an entity that never even looked at your proplerty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals