Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 03:05 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,582,317 times

Advertisements

'Client' charged in real estate agent's slaying - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/03/20/realtor.death.ap/index.html - broken link)

Hope everybody stays safe and be careful and on guard. Not everybody is to be trusted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 07:22 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,725,331 times
I think we should go over what you do for personal safety, or what is in place in your office. That way, I can gather some ideas.

We always try to remember to tell the secretary where we are going, but it is hard. You have to balance between wanting to serve the client ASAP with your own safety. We all know to call the office and say where we area and that we need the "red folder".

My company also offers self-defense classes quite often. One of the Home Inspection companies we often use is owned by a black belt in Karate, so he helps show us some things. I am also checking into buying pepper spray after hearing about this article.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:43 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,131,588 times
It is recommended that you have the client always meet you at the office and make a copy of their driver's license. Leave that with your receptionist and be specific where you are going. You can have them call you a few mintues after you have arrived at the house. If you are still leery, take another agent with you. Another tip I do is keep your keys in your hand so that if something starts to go wrong you can hit the alarm button. I do not go into the basement first or upstairs first, I follow the client. I also do not do open houses by myself anymore. I take someone with me.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:09 PM

They sell peper spray which can be attached to a key ring. Might help, just a suggestion.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:28 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,725,331 times
Thank you, BB. I was told that I can buy that at a gun shop. Does anyone know if Wal-Mart carries it? They sell guns, don't they?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:18 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,744,971 times
That's really sad.

I don't do open houses and always carry pepper spray. I also wouldn't show a house at night alone. I meet everyone at the office first and tell the secretary and my SO where I will be and when. I also would not meet with a man alone, unless I really have no choice. I had a listing apointment once and thought the man was home alone, so asked a coworker to go with me. When I got there he had a wife and kids home, so it was fine but better safe then sorry. The other thing is, I make sure people are prequalified. I don't thing a criminal is going to come to the office, speak to a lender, sign an agency agreement with me and then commit a crime, or at least I hope not.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:43 AM

One of my kids asked at Walmart but was told it is only avalaible online (not at walmart but other stores). I still have to buy it.
There was also an appraiser (insurance)who was killed when going to a home in the Tampa Bay area a while ago. It is not funny that creeps can be out there.
But what about all these fake id who are out there, so it will be hard even with an id copy at the office. The creeps will find a way so to have something to defend your self and leave an address where you are is to me the best thing.
Shouldn't there be a special background letter that clients and realtors (other professions also) can carry out when they have to go with clients. Like a official gov. letter with water marks in it so you can see it is authentic.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:33 AM

791 posts, read 2,951,279 times
If someone wants to do you harm and you are in house alone with them I don't think they are going to care if it's day or night. In fact don't you think day would be a less suspecting time for them to lure you into a bad situation?

You can also buy pepper spray at some sports stores.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:00 AM

6 posts, read 17,520 times
There is a great pepper spray that I saw at a gun shop. It looks like a pager. It comes out at 40mph and works so much better than the ordinary pepper spray. It is about $60 but well worth it.
For women, when you get dressed in morning look at your shoes and ask yourself, "Can I run for my life in these?" THat always sticks with me.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,131,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
One of my kids asked at Walmart but was told it is only avalaible online (not at walmart but other stores). I still have to buy it.
There was also an appraiser (insurance)who was killed when going to a home in the Tampa Bay area a while ago. It is not funny that creeps can be out there.
But what about all these fake id who are out there, so it will be hard even with an id copy at the office. The creeps will find a way so to have something to defend your self and leave an address where you are is to me the best thing.
Shouldn't there be a special background letter that clients and realtors (other professions also) can carry out when they have to go with clients. Like a official gov. letter with water marks in it so you can see it is authentic.

The idea of having them come to the office and make a copy of their ID is that they will probably not want to do that if their motives are questionable. I don't think they would want to be seen by everyone at the office. If they refuse to do it I won't meet them. It is a serious red flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals