Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:47 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,142,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
However, no one with any type of criminal background could pass this requirement to be a licensee:

"be honest, truthful, trustworthy, and of good character; and have a good reputation for fair dealing"
This may sound ... "funny" but, in Az, if you are convicted of a fraud or anything to do with money, you probably will be precluded from licensure. However, and I know of two people who fit this - if you have been convicted of a homicide, you are not necessary precluded from licensure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 11:55 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,730,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
This may sound ... "funny" but, in Az, if you are convicted of a fraud or anything to do with money, you probably will be precluded from licensure. However, and I know of two people who fit this - if you have been convicted of a homicide, you are not necessary precluded from licensure
I'm surprised at that because I don't see how that would be considered as good character or good faith in dealing. The exception that I can think of is if it were vehicular homicide where someone as DUI and hit and killed someone.

Or, this could be something that happened after obtaining a license and the information never got back to the real estate department.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:02 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,142,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I'm surprised at that because I don't see how that would be considered as good character or good faith in dealing. The exception that I can think of is if it were vehicular homicide where someone as DUI and hit and killed someone.

Or, this could be something that happened after obtaining a license and the information never got back to the real estate department.
No, in one case, the person requested a hearing before the Commissioner - and the Commissioner agreed to allow licensure.

I know - I hired the agent

Old 03-22-2008, 01:02 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,557,818 times
Wow. I'm still in shock about the things I found within the last 24 hours and don't know what to do next.
There was a thread on one of the real estate forums or maybe the Tampa forum with a question from a seller "who is responsible if something is stolen when an agent shows a home", that could aply to my issue since the realtor I'm talking about is still on probation for this felony (the arrest wasn't done a a personal property but a commercial property/mall). It doesn't give me the feeling you can trust the person as we thought we could. This person pleaded guilty after a non guilty plea and was sentenced so this person admitted of the wrong doing.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:33 PM

10,907 posts, read 21,863,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Wow. I'm still in shock about the things I found within the last 24 hours and don't know what to do next.
There was a thread on one of the real estate forums or maybe the Tampa forum with a question from a seller "who is responsible if something is stolen when an agent shows a home", that could aply to my issue since the realtor I'm talking about is still on probation for this felony (the arrest wasn't done a a personal property but a commercial property/mall). It doesn't give me the feeling you can trust the person as we thought we could. This person pleaded guilty after a non guilty plea and was sentenced so this person admitted of the wrong doing.
Guess what, you can't trust lots of people...Wal-Mart clerks, lawyers, doctors, accountants, real estate investors...some professions just seem to run others down a bit more. Where do you fall?

Old 03-22-2008, 02:09 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,845,074 times
Quote:
The charges and arrest find place just before this person started to take the realtor course and got the license. Also moved in months after the arrest to a neighboring County so it mght have been over looked if it even was checked. Now we understand why this "friend" realtor never wanted the picture of her/his on his/hers business card.
You never know why that might be honestly. Mine doesnt have my picture on it either, and I am not a felon, I have purely different reasons for not having my photo on my card, and they are not for any unethical reasons. I am thinking about changing that the next time I order, but for now, no pic for me

Old 03-22-2008, 02:13 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,657,178 times
Quote:
I was told by another realtor that my friend the realtor had done something in the past but wouldn't say anything more than to look myself on the internet and do some research. That is what I did on sites open to the public and to my shock it was worse than what I could ever dreamed off. No it is not murder or something like that, but for a friend (and being a realtor) being convicted of a felony that is unbelievable to me and not until this morning, hours after finding this whole thing out, I thought "how can some one even be working in this business with a conviction of this felony". Maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't you be thankful if a felon realtor would not be allowed to do business to prevent harm done to others and having it all spread out in the media. This forum is way smaller and I need advise what to do or not to do. I wish I never knew this at all, but since I know know I guess It is my duty to do something with this knowledge.
It's not very clear what your relationship is with this realtor, or exactly how you are related to this situation.

If I am reading your post correctly, you and another realtor have been gossiping about your friend, the ex-con realtor. Are you asking whether your duty is to rat out your friend and cause your friend to lose his real estate license and membership to the NAR?

Old 03-22-2008, 04:00 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,200,446 times
I had to pay for a background check prior to getting my initial license and a new one every two years when I renew my Maine state license. Those who don't answer this truthfully, "have you ever been convicted of any court of any offense" on their application are usually caught and pay a fine starting at $200.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,233,015 times
In CA one has to pay for fingerprinting as a part of the licensing process. I'm hoping they run them through the NCIC to check for priors, but who knows.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:15 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,557,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
You never know why that might be honestly. Mine doesnt have my picture on it either, and I am not a felon, I have purely different reasons for not having my photo on my card, and they are not for any unethical reasons. I am thinking about changing that the next time I order, but for now, no pic for me
Sorry, I don't mean to say that some one is a felon if there is no picture. What is ironic that this person has written a blog once stating that most realtors look like having a mug shot on their signs/business cards. (not my quote but from the realtor with the criminal record)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals