Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:46 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,537,403 times

Advertisements

I can't say much at this time than that I hope that if it's possible to check out your professional on criminal court websites than do so.
This has been a very shocking revelation and an emotional one. But I have learned my lesson for the future regarding people I trust and hope others do so too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 10:33 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,537,403 times
License taken from realtor, that is the last update so far.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 883 times
In the state of Florida it is true that you must report all felonies and the DPBR will to a background check. If you lie on the application and the background check finds a felony, you are automatically disqualified. If you tell the truth and you have a felony on your record, you will be disqualified until or unless you file a request to appeal your case. If granted, you will then have to go before the State Real Estate Board of Commisioners to plead your case.

You will be required to submit all of the official paperwork concerning the offense, as well as a detailed written explanation about what happened and 3 character references in advance of your hearing date. On the date of your hearing you may or may not choose to be represented by an attorney. You will need to stand in front of the 12 member Board of Commissioners and restate your case and all the details and the board has the right to ask you questions.

They will factor in the nature of the offense, the number of years since the conviction, and any or all arrests, misdemeanors or offenses since then. They will also look at how you have lived your life since then, looking at activities including employment, education, volunteer work, membership in organizations, civic accomplishments etc. since your conviction. They will then take a vote and either approve or disaprove your license.

I think before jumping to the conclusion that a Real Estate Agent MUST be a bad person if they have a former conviction and must be stripped of his or her license is at the VERY least, a very biased position to take. You never know what the circumstances were. Not all felons are murderers or rapists. In fact, most of them aren't.

In fact, the majority of the public never even considers that there are different levels of felonies. Some are just barely ranked above a misdemeanor and never even involved any prison time. Some might have BEEN a misdeanor in a different state or maybe even with a paid- for attorney would have turned out differently, rather than having to act on the advice of an overworked Public Defender whose objective often, is to push cases through as quickly as possible at all costs in order to preserve his or her own career or clutter up the courts' docket with another trial.

So how long would you want a "felon" to pay for his or her crime past their prison or in some cases, probation time? 1 year? 5 Years? 10 years? 20? Look back 20 years ago in your own life and ask yourself what it would be like to NEVER be able to live down something stupid that you did- never being able to put it behind you and worse- to have to TELL the world- to tell every secretary(screener) and every 25 year old interviewer (who was in diapers when your offense occurred) -every time you looked for another low paying or straight commission job.

Think about not being able to rent an apartment or NEVER have the opportunity to vote, or hold a decent job with benefits and a 401K , never being able to find an employer who was around long enough for you to qualify for a loan to own a home . And if you were forced to do straight commission, NEVER having any access to unemployment benefits when your deadbeat employer closed their doors and you found yourself out of a job again. - always having to scrape out a living and a lifestyle in spite of it and no matter how many times you had to prove yourself through education, work ethic or deeds, never ever to be able to really hold your head up again, for the rest of your life.

My advice is judge not, lest you be judged. At the very least, before you do, attend one of those commission hearings - listen to the stories- watch the appeal process yourself - call and find out when the next one is - they're open to the public. You might end up THINKING before you Judge..

Old 12-29-2010, 09:53 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,419,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The charges and arrest find place just before this person started to take the realtor course and got the license. Also moved in months after the arrest to a neighboring County so it mght have been over looked if it even was checked. Now we understand why this "friend" realtor never wanted the picture of her/his on his/hers business card.

The Realtor bashing is getting long in the tooth beetlebee.

I would strongly suggest you have nothing further to do with Realtors. The law is always one step behind us, following everything we do. Most of us have never met anyone so suspicious and frankly, would not want to be painted with the broad brush you are using. A buyer or seller's agent doesn't need the aggravation or the possibility of a lurking conjured up complaint from you. They don't need or want your business. Convicts, felons, lawbreakers, have no place in the profession and seasoned professionals have answered your questions honestly and responsibly.

If you have "personal friends" who have had run ins with the law, you should discuss your issues with them directly.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 PM

1,618 posts, read 1,624,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

I would strongly suggest you have nothing further to do with Realtors. The law is always one step behind us, following everything we do. Most of us have never met anyone so suspicious and frankly, would not want to be painted with the broad brush you are using. A buyer or seller's agent doesn't need the aggravation or the possibility of a lurking conjured up complaint from you. They don't need or want your business. Convicts, felons, lawbreakers, have no place in the profession and seasoned professionals have answered your questions honestly and responsibly.

If you have "personal friends" who have had run ins with the law, you should discuss your issues with them directly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have been long enough in the industry to realize that there are realtors ( with attitude) and there are REALTORS ( with altitude) .
Personally I preffer to stay away from some of "them" ( the ones with attitude and ego driven and arrogance) in order to avoid any disruptive situation. I just ignore them and don't even say "hi" .
I am tired of realtors ( some of them) that have been loud, impositive, and low class to me, just to mention a few.
Unfortunately, in my opinion, besides all the background check that a new applicant has to face in order to obtain the Real Estate license, I thing that there should be much more restrictions in USA to be licensed.
According to my experience I have seen "realtors" in USA, more specific in south Florida that in my opinion they do not qualify for any profession in many other countries in the World because at their first mistake or misbehavior they will be fired inmediately. This is a profession more than a business for me, and true class is something that should identify ourselves individually. I understand that most of the realtors they do not like to hear this opinion and then they excuse themselves by saying that one is saying nothing but bashing them. Is not the matter to bash realtors, it is just the disclosure of evidences from the very inside.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:14 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,116,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post

Agree.

I don't have any friends that are on the wrong side of the law, realtors or otherwise. Maybe the OP needs to pick his/her firiends more wisely.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:58 PM

43,031 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Agree.

I don't have any friends that are on the wrong side of the law, realtors or otherwise. Maybe the OP needs to pick his/her firiends more wisely.
In all fairness, it may be that many nearly 3 year old threads should just be left to moulder in the grave rather than resurrected....
This may be one of those.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:04 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,419,141 times
You're correct Mike, and you are very thorough. It always strikes a professional nerve in us, and the subject was bumped up, addressing Pollie Rich's more current rant in reply to bentlebee.

No matter how much the NAR or our local Boards try to educate the public on how our services are of great value to buyers and sellers, and the continuing education required, the need to continue to defend the profession is relative to the incremental improvements in public attitudes. It is difficult to help some folks get through the buying or selling process when there is the slightest paranoia to overcome.

Most of us have worked hard and long enough to earn the loyalty of our clients, with repeat business and referrals over the years. I am still getting referrals and gifts from past clients, and I retired about a year ago. Isn't that just the best feeling !

Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,116,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
In all fairness, it may be that many nearly 3 year old threads should just be left to moulder in the grave rather than resurrected....
This may be one of those.
Thanks - I didn't catch that.

What is going on here? It's really bad in the Houston forum lately, with ancient threads being dug up and the OP's question being answered like they just asked yesterday - and the thread will be ancient.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:14 PM

43,031 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Thanks - I didn't catch that.

What is going on here? It's really bad in the Houston forum lately, with ancient threads being dug up and the OP's question being answered like they just asked yesterday - and the thread will be ancient.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and you see a few threads on related topics or terms.
People click on them and don't realize that some are very old.
I always look for the icon in front of the thread title to see if it is a dated thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals