Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:39 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,526,550 times

Advertisements

I have a question about realtors and background checks.

When a realtor starts to work as a realtor will the realtor ass. do a background check or when the liscense is renewed?

The reason for me asking is that I find out that a realtor is on probation for fraud (forgery) and to me (3rd degree felony) this worries me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 08:44 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,722,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have a question about realtors and background checks.

When a realtor starts to work as a realtor will the realtor ass. do a background check or when the liscense is renewed?

The reason for me asking is that I find out that a realtor is on probation for fraud (forgery) and to me (3rd degree felony) this worries me.
Read the licensee requirements for the state of Florida Department of Real Estate.

It's ironic that every realtor that you run into is a terrible realtor, and now you find one who is a felon!

Old 03-22-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Read the licensee requirements for the state of Florida Department of Real Estate.

It's ironic that every realtor that you run into is a terrible realtor, and now you find one who is a felon!
Well I'm sorry to find this out myself because this one is not my realtor but a personal friend who has been my realtor in the past. How shocked would you be if it happens to you? This is the last thing that I expected to be true and wish it was different. I'm not having a good time if you think that is what I'm having.
You might say it is ironic but very very sad.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Well I'm sorry to find this out myself because this one is not my realtor but a personal friend who has been my realtor in the past. How shocked would you be if it happens to you? This is the last thing that I expected to be true and wish it was different. I'm not having a good time if you think that is what I'm having.
You might say it is ironic but very very sad.
Before I would ever post something like this on a public forum, I would certainly check the information to make sure that it is correct. Your second post indicates that a personal friend of yours who was a realtor "in the past" is now a felon. If that person committed fraud and a felony, then they would lose their license, and if they did not have a license in the beginning, they would not be able to obtain one.

However, your original post indicated that a convicted felon was still holding a real estate license and practicing real estate.

Below are the qualifications for real estate practice in the state of Florida.

Quote:
475.17 Qualifications for practice.--
(1)(a) An applicant for licensure who is a natural person must be at least 18 years of age; hold a high school diploma or its equivalent; be honest, truthful, trustworthy, and of good character; and have a good reputation for fair dealing.
Obviously a felon, and someone on probation for fraud (forgery) could not qualify under these requirements.

There are plenty of cases where realtors, corporate executives, fund managers, attorneys, doctors, dentists, contractors, clergymen, and people in every walks of life, including property investors like yourself, have committed fraud. But it seems to be your intent to continuously attempt to degrade the licensed real estate profession.

It is especially troublesome when you make a vague statement which insinuates that there are convicted felons out there operating with a real estate license, when in fact they would not be able to obtain or hold a license.

If you want to tell some stories about really bad actors in the real estate industry, then why don't you tell some about the underhanded tactics that investors (not real estate licensees) use to steal the equity from people facing foreclosure. You're an investor so I'm sure you know plenty of the stories. And unfortunately, those people can get convicted of fraud, and go right back to practicing their dirty tactics of stealing the equity of vulnerable people.

Everyone has read your complaints about realtors. We know your position that is opposed to the realtors commissions. We've read it in many of your posts. So why keep continuing to bash the industry? Why not just offer your investing experience to the forum without the continuous realtor bashing?

Old 03-22-2008, 10:18 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times
Quote:
If you want to tell some stories about really bad actors in the real estate industry, then why don't you tell some about the underhanded tactics that investors (not real estate licensees) use to steal the equity from people facing foreclosure. You're an investor so I'm sure you know plenty of the stories. And unfortunately, those people can get convicted of fraud, and go right back to practicing their dirty tactics of stealing the equity of vulnerable people.
The investors are only helping out the poor people who fell behind on payments.
If they don't buy the short sales what will happen to those poor people.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Before I would ever post something like this on a public forum, I would certainly check the information to make sure that it is correct. Your second post indicates that a personal friend of yours who was a realtor "in the past" is now a felon. If that person committed fraud and a felony, then they would lose their license, and if they did not have a license in the beginning, they would not be able to obtain one.

However, your original post indicated that a convicted felon was still holding a real estate license and practicing real estate.

Below are the qualifications for real estate practice in the state of Florida.

Obviously a felon, and someone on probation for fraud (forgery) could not qualify under these requirements.

There are plenty of cases where realtors, corporate executives, fund managers, attorneys, doctors, dentists, contractors, clergymen, and people in every walks of life, including property investors like yourself, have committed fraud. But it seems to be your intent to continuously attempt to degrade the licensed real estate profession.

It is especially troublesome when you make a vague statement which insinuates that there are convicted felons out there operating with a real estate license, when in fact they would not be able to obtain or hold a license.

Everyone has read your complaints about realtors. We know your position that is opposed to the realtors commissions. We've read it in many of your posts. So why keep continuing to bash the industry? Why not just offer your investing experience to the forum without the continuous realtor bashing?
To bad you feel like this but thanks for the quote about what a realtor is required to have to obtain or maintain their license.
I didn't say I know more than one realtor who is a felon and hope there are not more than this one out there. Yes this person is a personal friend and a realtor and I have worked with this person in the past. To me it was better to deal in business with an outsider than a friend because to me I find it hard to express in the same way as with a realtor who I'm not friends with but just business. And yes there are good realtors out there but in the Tampa area it seems hard to find and I recently wrote that I thought I had met the best realtor so far, but than this person stopped doing anything maybe because of personal problems. That is not the same person I'm asking about reagarding this felony thing. I was told by another realtor that my friend the realtor had done something in the past but wouldn't say anything more than to look myself on the internet and do some research. That is what I did on sites open to the public and to my shock it was worse than what I could ever dreamed off. No it is not murder or something like that, but for a friend (and being a realtor) being convicted of a felony that is unbelievable to me and not until this morning, hours after finding this whole thing out, I thought "how can some one even be working in this business with a conviction of this felony". Maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't you be thankful if a felon realtor would not be allowed to do business to prevent harm done to others and having it all spread out in the media. This forum is way smaller and I need advise what to do or not to do. I wish I never knew this at all, but since I know know I guess It is my duty to do something with this knowledge.
Same should be done with investors or anybody else in what business they are in, doesn't matter, if they commit fraud or anything against the law.
So I agree on you about that part. I will tell you as an investor that I never lied or did something against the law to obtain a property. I use my own money, no mortgages or loans, so don't blame me of what other have done wrong by running off after foreclosures and leaving a mess for which all tax payers can pay for right now. I pay taxes too.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:23 AM

I can' make it different than vague because for sure i'm not going to put the report that is on the internet (with arrest date, bond filed, etc.) out here on this forum.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:38 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,119,026 times
It purely is state dependent.

If someone has a criminal background, it would be up to the state regulatory agencies guidelines to determine if the background is sufficient to deny a license. Not all previous criminal charges will result in license denial.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:35 AM

The charges and arrest find place just before this person started to take the realtor course and got the license. Also moved in months after the arrest to a neighboring County so it mght have been over looked if it even was checked. Now we understand why this "friend" realtor never wanted the picture of her/his on his/hers business card.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It purely is state dependent.

If someone has a criminal background, it would be up to the state regulatory agencies guidelines to determine if the background is sufficient to deny a license. Not all previous criminal charges will result in license denial.
I just posted the FL requirement, which performs a criminal background check, and would prohibit a felon or anyone convicted of fraud from being licensed, and if you check the other 49 states I think you'll find the same language. I know it's the same in CA and AZ.

The OP specifically mentioned felon and fraud (forgery).

However, no one with any type of criminal background could pass this requirement to be a licensee:

"be honest, truthful, trustworthy, and of good character; and have a good reputation for fair dealing"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals