Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 04:51 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notkim View Post
Yes, that absolute sense ! Up until now, I thought that is how it worked generally irrespective of State. Simple & straightforward as what you said. I was & still am a bit thrown off with that subagent part.

So if I go as per BoBromhal's suggestion - find 2-3 agents, ask them about house in question, CMA etc etc...and meet all 3. Does that mean that what they tell me about the house, the suggested offer price, CMA is from a seller's point (as in acting as if representing the seller's interest), just bec there is no signed doc between us? They why do I need them? So will their opinion (say on the offer price) change the minute I sign the exclusive buyer's agreement?

This is getting confusing. But Diana, I understand the points you are making and I think you got what I am trying to ask/say from the beginning.
It is too common for too many consumers and some agents to shrug off the significance of written contracts.
A buyers agency agreement is a contract that places the agent in a legal and ethical role.
The TX disclosure is very clear on the point of representation.
That contract does not "change opinion." It changes the agent's legal and ethical role from salesperson to advisor.

As a licensee, my very specific legal and ethical responsibilities and my mandated role are changed when I am engaged by a consumer to represent their interests in an agent/client relationship.
I often have opinions about properties that I keep to myself when talking to customers. I offer advice and opinions to clients freely.
We sell to customers. We advise clients and place their interests first.
You are mixing the two, asking to retain a role as a customer while requesting client-level service.

Engage an agent based on reputation, interpersonal compatibility, transparency, track record, recommendations, presentation, local knowledge, communication skill.
Retain the right to terminate the engagement at any time prior to going under contract.
Be careful if considering engaging an agent because they are willing to disregard their legal and ethical responsibilities to impress you.

I sincerely believe Diana to be a good and capable agent.
I would also advise you to strive to understand agency as regulated and practiced in Texas, not WA, and also not in NC.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 03-23-2018 at 05:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 09:30 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I understand that. When I receive the analysis will it be a fairly accurate range of an appraisal?
Not necessarily. They should use comps but I don't know if that's all they use. I know the price my market is for homes and I don't think the appraisals would match. Prices are increasing fast in my area, I know my home is up 30% in price in regards to what I paid for a starter home but will an appraiser see it that way if they can't or don't want to find further comps?

I had a home fall thru that i wanted to buy because the appraiser who was the same ethnicity as the renters felt sorry for them and their 2 small kids and would not budge on his low appraisal that killed the deal. In retrospect I found a better home but had to live 3 months in heck with a bad roommate, and i would have been happy in the other home too.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:40 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I sincerely believe Diana to be a good and capable agent.
I would also advise you to strive to understand agency as regulated and practiced in Texas, not WA, and also not in NC.
This is true and very fair. My opinion about Texas agency law is one of those times when my opinion just isn't helpful to the situation! Sorry for that.

Signing a buyer agreement does eliminate any uncertainty about agency and representation. My more helpful advice would be to interview a few, and then pick one. The agreement clarifies the roles and is a good thing, not a bad thing. We sign them with all of our clients as well.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 03-23-2018 at 10:07 AM..

Old 03-23-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
This is true and very fair. My opinion about Texas agency law is one of those times when my opinion just isn't helpful to the situation! Sorry for that.

Signing a buyer agreement does eliminate any uncertainty about agency and representation. My more helpful advice would be to interview a few, and then pick one. The agreement clarifies the roles is a good thing, not a bad thing. We sign them with all of our clients as well.

Heck, I knew that it was true and very fair to call you "a good and capable agent."

As far as the rest goes...
I have heard that some states are evolving more toward requiring a BA Agreement.

Clearly, , from my NC perspective, that is a good thing.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:06 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Heh.... I *was* talking about the second statement in the quote.... really!

Old 03-25-2018, 08:17 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It will be no where near as detailed an analysis as an appraisal.

But it will be that realtor's best judgment based on what they know of the house and the market.

Feel free to get more than one analysis if you doubt the number.

Most people don't pay for actual appraisals just to come up with a list price... they can cost $500-$1000.
That is very high for a pre-listing appraisal. We do them here for $250 to $500 depending on the size and location of the subject.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:53 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,483,127 times
With all due respect to realtors, there are many part time realtors out there who are not up on the market as well as others. I think a buyer who was unsure of what to offer COULD get a drive by appraisal that would cost less than a full appraisal if it made them feel more comfortable.

But you really should do your homework and figure out what a fair price is. It's so easy now to find sales with all the real estate sites. In the old days, you had to buy data from a company to get sales comps or go to the country recorder's office. Much easier now.

As you may have read in my thread of the overpriced home, I am stalking a house that is a good 20-25% overpriced. The selling agent, who is as old as dirt and should know better, was using 3 year old comps to support her ridiculous asking price. My realtor was suggesting I get an appraisal because she isn't that experienced and feels uncomfortable assigning a price. I don't need an appraisal. I WAS an appraiser. If I had ever used a three year old comp, I would have been laughed at.

Also, the selling agent said and I quote "I don't get all caught in square footage" when shown that all her comps were significantly larger than the house. So there are agents and there are agents.

The thing about appraisers is, that's all they do. Agents have to get listings, show places, market properties. It would be like having a GP do your heart surgery or a heart surgeon.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
With all due respect to realtors, there are many part time realtors out there who are not up on the market as well as others. I think a buyer who was unsure of what to offer COULD get a drive by appraisal that would cost less than a full appraisal if it made them feel more comfortable.

But you really should do your homework and figure out what a fair price is. It's so easy now to find sales with all the real estate sites. In the old days, you had to buy data from a company to get sales comps or go to the country recorder's office. Much easier now.

As you may have read in my thread of the overpriced home, I am stalking a house that is a good 20-25% overpriced. The selling agent, who is as old as dirt and should know better, was using 3 year old comps to support her ridiculous asking price. My realtor was suggesting I get an appraisal because she isn't that experienced and feels uncomfortable assigning a price. I don't need an appraisal. I WAS an appraiser. If I had ever used a three year old comp, I would have been laughed at.

Also, the selling agent said and I quote "I don't get all caught in square footage" when shown that all her comps were significantly larger than the house. So there are agents and there are agents.

The thing about appraisers is, that's all they do. Agents have to get listings, show places, market properties. It would be like having a GP do your heart surgery or a heart surgeon.
The cool thing about CD is that the OP has received excellent input freely offered by several agents from around the country!

Old 07-25-2018, 03:27 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
If you get a good Realtor, I believe the market analyses are more accurate. Realtors have their pulse on the market - appraisers typically do not. Lots of appraisers come from out-of-the-area and aren't even familiar with particular markets.

I have had to give appraisers comps every time!

Old 07-25-2018, 05:29 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If you get a good Realtor, I believe the market analyses are more accurate. Realtors have their pulse on the market - appraisers typically do not. Lots of appraisers come from out-of-the-area and aren't even familiar with particular markets.

I have had to give appraisers comps every time!
I do agree that appraisers should be local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals