Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Real estate: selling, buying, relocating, on the market, realtor, homeowner.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:38 PM

622 posts, read 3,107,899 times

Advertisements

I own a home which is not on the market, but I would like to move at some point to another part of the state. NJ to SJ. I've been reading, looking, researching myself, sort of waiting to see what happens with the market... etc...

We don't have to move, but would like to at some point if certain circumstances allow us. We have to start somewhere. My question is: How do we physically see the houses that are for sale, knowing we can't really buy them right now. We certainly don't want to waste anyone's time, be it the Realtor or the homeowner. We do want to eventually work with a Realtor for the transaction, but getting to know the specific houses we're interested in is a bit of a problem.

Can we just "look" at 3 or 4 houses that we might like knowing we're just looking for possibly 6-12 months from now? That doesn't sound right to me.

I also don't want to sell my house and have nowhere to live or work. This is a multi-question issue, but my main concern at this point is the viewing of a few homes in the area and what to tell the Realtors when I contact them?

Any experiences would be great. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 07:14 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,143,082 times
New Jersey, you have a couple of options. You can see many houses that are for sale by going to open houses. The local newspaper should have a list of these. You can also go to model homes in new developments. Another thing you can do is go to the MLS in the locality you are interested in and look at houses and photos online. Most Realtor websites give you access to their local MLS.

Although some Realtors might not mind showing you houses this soon in the process, some would prefer you be further on in the process with some ideas as to what type of area you are looking for, what amenities you want in a house, and a more definitive timeframe regarding buying. Since you are fairly far out from being in a position to purchase, more than likely most any house you see now won't be available when you are ready to purchase.

I would suggest you do a number of things to get yourself in a better position to buy a home. Focus on your current house and what needs to be done to get it ready once you decide to put it on the market. I would also suggest you get pre-approved for a loan so that you will know what your financial limits will be before you start looking at a house with a Realtor. Review the threads on this site that address the issue of selecting the right Realtor, from both the sell side(if you are not going FSBO) and the buy side.

Good luck.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:07 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,657,685 times
You can go to open houses to check out the areas that you are interested in. In addition, you can reach out to a real estate agent or Realtor and have them show you some properties. Be frank, upfront, honest with the agent. In all likelihood, they will show you vacant properties, since you are not ready to purchase immediately and it's easier for them to make appointments for vacant properties.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. We have narrowed down our search to a specific area and neighborhood. Now is the time to kick some tires, so to speak. We're sort of "frozen" with having to sell AND buy AND transfer/find employment, all in this slow market. It seems insurmountable.

The easy part was knowing where we would like to go, but we need to go have a look around to know for sure. If I could snap my fingers and trade houses, I would do it. We've seen some great houses that we can put an offer on without barely seeing them. The desire is there, but I think the current market is giving us hesitation to sell our house, because we don't want to be in a year long (or more) saga I keep reading about on the forums.

We may try the open houses. I've seen some houses for rent as well. Maybe they'll be empty, making them easier to see.

It all seems so overwhelming, it makes it much easier just to sit tight. On the other hand, I know if the ball got rolling, things would escalate from there. thanks again.

We'll be putting a minimum of 20-30-40% down. We're not overbuying when we move.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:58 PM

7 posts, read 14,576 times
Default A Few Ideas

I would definetly find out what my house is worth. Plan a budget for my new home based on that. Contact a Mortgage professional in the area I am moving to for Pre-qualification letter. Contact a Realtor in the area I relocating to 1) put my current home up for sale while 2) locating my new home. Get the stress off of you and just contact a professional to do the work for you.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 PM

540 posts, read 2,167,494 times
As long as you are being realistic (the fact that any house you look at very likely WON'T be available) - and you are working with the right budget (keeping in mind that interest rates and housing prices could be very different 6 months to a year from now for anything you look at) I would consider looking for a "less experienced" REALTOR to work with on the BUYING side. While this may sound counter-intuitive to some, think of it this way...

An experienced agent may be hesitant to invest the time in you this early in the game and likely has clients and referral clients that they are busy working with, so they may have less time to devote to you given your situation.

There are some very talented and professional newer agents who are just beginning their careers and maybe don't have the base of clients that are providing referrals and business to them during this period. They will be (1) ABLE to devote lots of time and effort to help you in return for your LOYALTY and the knowledge that you will make some commitment to them when you ARE ready. They will (2) work HARD for you because they need you.

* I'm not suggesting that you just use "new agent" as the only critieria! I'm suggesting that you look for a GOOD REALTOR...one with whom you can start building a good working relationship, one that has the knowledge to get the job done for you, and one with the backup of a good office and a good Broker to make sure that you are getting the service/expertise that you need.

Just a thought. I also think it will be interesting to see the discussions that this comment creates! Should be fun, huh?

Dave

Last edited by DavePautsch; 03-25-2008 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 AM

Thanks.

I just have to take the first step, I guess. With all the bad news coming out everyday, it's easier to just "sit and wait". Argggg!

"First step" is easier said than done. I can't put my house on the market if I don't know for sure that the place I'm moving to is what I want in terms of environment and housing. To know if I want to move there, I must look there to find out, and speak to someone who knows the area (Realtor). But, to look there, I must "be serious" and sell my house or start the process at least...

It's a huge circle of steps. Where do I jump on? lol It's a damn escalator.

Haven't even discussed job relocating yet. lol How the HECK do people do it?
Sorry, just venting. We have a week off coming up, so we'll try and find some open houses during that time to visit. Maybe we can meet a Realtor there and discuss our options.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,212,790 times
Fortunately, your situation is not unique, by far! I would (a) be looking for work in the new area while simultaneously (b) contacting and interviewing real estate agents in your area and choosing one to eventually market your home. Tell them your situation and that you're looking to move as soon as you get all the pieces in place and ask their advice on what needs to be done to get your home in shape for going on the market so that when you ARE ready to list with them, it'll be ready to go. A good agent will appreciate this - it's easier on them as well as you to do this than the seller having to scramble to get things fixed at the last minute in a rush to get the home on the market and sold quick.

In the meantime, go to open houses in the area that you are interested in and find an agent there to help you find a home when you are ready to move. I have no problem with a buyer who is relocating doing this. I can show them a bit of the community on that trip (schedule an appointment with them in advance of going there so they'll have a block of time set out for you), a few homes to give them an idea of what's generally available (vacant, yes, most likely, out of courtesy for the buyers and agents of the homes that are currently on the market), and set up an online search for homes meeting your criteria so that you can be becoming familiar with the market in your new area while you're getting ready to relocate. That way, when you DO get employment in the new area and your house goes on the market, you'll be that far ahead in your search for a new home in your new community, and you'll already have an established relationship with your buyer's agent ANd your listing agent to help smooth the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals