Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,533,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
that's a realtor.com function not controlled by agents. i know you know this middle aged mom just posting so others are aware. public mls sites are not controlled by realtors (to the OP) either so realtors cannot "pull the listings" when they go under agreement. the only site realtors have complete control over is the realtor paid local mls for each city/county/state.
Realtor.com is owned and controlled by The National Association of Realtors.

Home- owners, in my area, must agree to have their home advertized on realtor.com and other internet sites.

Realtors pay for listing inclusion on Realtor.com

Brokers have control over their listings on Realtor.com. Listings may be added, altered and deleted. The how this is done is a variable.

What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 11:24 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,007,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Realtor.com is owned and controlled by The National Association of Realtors.

Home- owners, in my area, must agree to have their home advertized on realtor.com and other internet sites.

Realtors pay for listing inclusion on Realtor.com

Brokers have control over their listings on Realtor.com. Listings may be added, altered and deleted. The how this is done is a variable.

What am I missing?
realtor.com (owned by NAR) yes it is.

In massachusetts homeowners agree to be listed on our realtor paid mls (MLSPIN) not realtor.com. mlspin automatically downloads all listings posted on their website to realtor.com free of charge (only one picture)

Agents pay additional fees to realtor.com in order to post additional pictures and virtual tours. agents do not have control over status changes with realtor.com (meaning - agents can't change a listing to UAG on realtor.com not even manually).

Listings can be altered on realtor.com but only certain fields and status is not one of them. When you see New or New this Week on a listing at realtor.com the agent does not add that, realtor.com's software automatically adds that.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:23 PM

15,518 posts, read 40,261,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
realtor.com (owned by NAR) yes it is.

In massachusetts homeowners agree to be listed on our realtor paid mls (MLSPIN) not realtor.com. mlspin automatically downloads all listings posted on their website to realtor.com free of charge (only one picture)

Agents pay additional fees to realtor.com in order to post additional pictures and virtual tours. agents do not have control over status changes with realtor.com (meaning - agents can't change a listing to UAG on realtor.com not even manually).

Listings can be altered on realtor.com but only certain fields and status is not one of them. When you see New or New this Week on a listing at realtor.com the agent does not add that, realtor.com's software automatically adds that.
Actually NAR DOES NOT own Realtor.com. Move, Inc a separate entity owns and controls it. They bought the rights to use the name Realtor.com from NAR a few years ago. I think NAR has a small stake (10% or something) in Move, Inc. Despite the name Realtor.com, it has very little to do with NAR.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:44 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,007,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Actually NAR DOES NOT own Realtor.com. Move, Inc a separate entity owns and controls it. They bought the rights to use the name Realtor.com from NAR a few years ago. I think NAR has a small stake (10% or something) in Move, Inc. Despite the name Realtor.com, it has very little to do with NAR.
now that i didn't know. thanks for clearing that up silverfall.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:03 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,879,105 times
Interesting how they all work differently in different areas isn't it? In our mls, living sq ft is a required field as are quite a few other fields. If they aren't filled in, you can't submit the listing...it won't allow you to.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,533,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Silverfall:

I had the same impression until I stumbled upon this, on realtor.org:

The National Association of REALTORS® owns and controls REALTOR.com. NAR's subsidiary, RIN, also owns approximately 4% of Homestore's stock, and maintains two seats on the Real Select board, and one seat on the Homestore board.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:23 PM

15,518 posts, read 40,261,953 times
NAR owns the name Realtor.com, and licenses it to Move. They don't own the web site or any of those things. I was thinking it was 10% but it is 4%. Enhanced listings, and agent marketing packages all started after Move purchased it. NAR just has the name, but none of the inner workings, if that makes any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals