Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:43 PM

470 posts, read 1,073,662 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of selling my home, and will be looking for an agent in another state.

In these very turbulent times, I want to find a realtor who is not anti-LBGTQ, not a racist, etc. I am a person that believes that all of us on earth are humans and all deserve the same respect and rights.

Is it okay to ask an agent their views ... or advertise that I am just looking for an agent that fits into those perimeters?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 02:23 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post

Is it okay to ask an agent their views ... or advertise that I am just looking for an agent that fits into those perimeters?
I don't think that's much of a concern. Your agent will want to sell your house and get his commission. I doubt if he'll be concerned with the race or sexual persuasion of the buyer, just that the buyer has the money or the financing.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:42 PM

14,475 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Your Realtor will be bound by the Realtor Code of Ethics to not discriminate on those or any other legally protected basis. And FWIW... it's the modern age. Most people have joined it.

I don't think those issues are likely to be a problem.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:57 PM

470 posts, read 1,073,662 times
Just to clarify ... I already have a realtor and a contract on my current home.

What I want to work with a realtor finding my new home ... one that I feel comfortable being with and talking openly, without feeling I am being judged as a liberal, or snowflake, or whatever they want to call me.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:20 PM

14,475 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Ask your prospective Realtor anything you think will help you find someone you like and trust.

Personally, I avoid all national and party politics both online and in person these days, and so do many colleagues, though there are a few who post political things on facebook. I don't. I have clients from all walks of life, and if I am successful as I hope to be, with the exception of a few very local county level issues directly affecting real estate, none of my clients will ever know my politics.

So... you get to pick what's important to you. Ask them. Choose the one whose answer you like best. I choose to nod and smile and focus on real estate.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:04 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
I am in the process of selling my home, and will be looking for an agent in another state.

In these very turbulent times, I want to find a realtor who is not anti-LBGTQ, not a racist, etc. I am a person that believes that all of us on earth are humans and all deserve the same respect and rights.

Thanks!
Sure it's okay to ask but what's to keep them from lying. It doesn't really matter too much since the buyer's realtor is the one who works with the buyer and both sides have to abide by anti discrimination policies in place already. But it is good to ask in case someone doesn't feel comfortable and is willing to let you know early on.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:19 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
If it’s important to you, go ahead and ask but be sure that your primary concern is that your agent is knowledgeable, a good listener, and concerned about great customer service.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:22 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Ask your prospective Realtor anything you think will help you find someone you like and trust.

Personally, I avoid all national and party politics both online and in person these days, and so do many colleagues, though there are a few who post political things on facebook. I don't. I have clients from all walks of life, and if I am successful as I hope to be, with the exception of a few very local county level issues directly affecting real estate, none of my clients will ever know my politics.

So... you get to pick what's important to you. Ask them. Choose the one whose answer you like best. I choose to nod and smile and focus on real estate.
I really like the professionalism articulated here.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:56 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
Stalk their Facebook profile for any damning evidence they don’t subscribe to your lifestyle.

Or, just try harder to keep this to a business transaction and not a deep, personal relationship. Real estate can get very emotional for buyers and sellers, so you should want someone on your side who will keep you focused on your goal as a buyer of real estate.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:09 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Stalk their Facebook profile for any damning evidence they don’t subscribe to your lifestyle.

Or, just try harder to keep this to a business transaction and not a deep, personal relationship. Real estate can get very emotional for buyers and sellers, so you should want someone on your side who will keep you focused on your goal as a buyer of real estate.
I agree with this whole post I quoted. This is business so keep it business. Most agents are going to be uncomfortable talking about classes in any light because of fair housing laws.

If you want to get an idea about their personal viewpoints stalking social media is as good a way as any to get info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals