Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 08:53 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,747,121 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am with a large brokerage in the Poconos, PA.

For those of you that have left a brokerage for another, what told you it was time to move on?

I'll give a little background to why I'm asking. First it's curiosity to what else is out there.
I like that I'm independent and no one bothers me to be at the office at certain times, etc. I don't like the constant recruitment of new agents through the door.
I'm pretty successful for a new agent and would like to see that continue to rise.

I also don't like the attitudes of some in the office. Those that must be in contact and are rude. Other agents I can completely ignore, but actual staff, I can't.

I know each office is different, however, I'm super curious about splits and office fees, etc.

I have no interest in a cloud based brokerage. I like a brick and mortar location that I can stop in when necessary.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 09:17 AM

14,416 posts, read 11,954,182 times
I think we're like you in that we don't go in to the office much. We mostly work from home. Your Designated Broker and back office staff do matter at your brokerage, even if you don't go in all the time. Maybe especially when you don't go in all the time. When you need them, you need them! If they're not there for you and supportive when you call, that's when we would know it was time to go.

Our office went through a bad patch with some personalities my hubby and I did not get along well with. If they'd have stayed, we probably would have left. But they didn't. And now we have an awesome DB and a great office Administrator. All is well again. Sometimes when there are problems, you're not the only one having problems with particular people...

Old 07-06-2018, 10:11 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
you've been at it a little less than a year. is your comp plan steady for 12 months, or have you by chance reached a higher split?

Office staff come and go. if the head Broker wasn't frequently recruiting .... you might not be there, right?

it's completely your responsibility - unless a random Poconos agent stumbles across your post - to know what the splits and costs are at the competing brokerages you might move to. But, given that you have greater sales than the average new agent, you have greater leverage now than you did a year ago.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you've been at it a little less than a year. is your comp plan steady for 12 months, or have you by chance reached a higher split?

Office staff come and go. if the head Broker wasn't frequently recruiting .... you might not be there, right?

it's completely your responsibility - unless a random Poconos agent stumbles across your post - to know what the splits and costs are at the competing brokerages you might move to. But, given that you have greater sales than the average new agent, you have greater leverage now than you did a year ago.
I have capped, so I’m now at 100%.

It’s hard to explain how I feel about this whole thing.

I work from home mostly. Only go in for closings and escrow work that has to be done in person.

There’s a lot that I love and a lot that I don’t. In hindsight, there are always things you’d wish you did differently.

Just curious of any that have switched brokerages, what was the point you knew it was time to. And I may be overthinking too.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:17 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
if you're working from home and getting 100%, then why worry about it right now?

there's some reason you chose that firm and that office. Has something changed (personnel or policy), or would you say you understand it better almost a year later?

You'd start by figuring out whether what you're thinking that you DON'T like there is going to be present everywhere/potentially anywhere you go, or it's office-specific.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:30 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,755,019 times
I had actual situations arise that told me to leave. I left one brokerage because they wouldn't fight for my commission. They had 180 days to file for Arbitration/Mediation and I was completely willing to pay the fee. Only the Broker can do it. He kept telling me he would, and I kept reminding him... It got to the last month, the last week, the last day... nothing... I left the brokerage fairly quickly after that, after doing a lot of research for the next brokerage....

But, I went to the wrong place. I was told a BUNCH of lies to get me to go there. I questioned all the information and they told me everything I wanted to hear. 3 months later, I asked about all the promises... 6 months... 9 months... at a year, I was like WTF?? My broker point-blank told me he lied to get me to come over because he wanted my production, yadda yadda... I was gone within 3 days.

I've been licensed 18 years. I don't care much about "what's greener on the other side". I just want to be left alone to do my business. Don't lie to me, and we'll be good. I'm not looking at leaving unless someone drastic happens.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you're working from home and getting 100%, then why worry about it right now?

there's some reason you chose that firm and that office. Has something changed (personnel or policy), or would you say you understand it better almost a year later?

You'd start by figuring out whether what you're thinking that you DON'T like there is going to be present everywhere/potentially anywhere you go, or it's office-specific.
This is extremely helpful advice. Thank you very much.

Yes, I’m understanding better. The more productive I am, the more I see and have to interact in the office. My questions and concerns have been met with some attitude and animosity. I’m not so sure that wouldn’t happen anywhere now that I think about it. I don’t think it should be that way though. I think because I’m this independent, it may just take me by surprise to get this kind of reaction. It makes me not want to ask questions and I really like to understand how things work, especially when it comes to my commission.

You are correct that I’ll need to really research to figure out if I won’t be in the same position with the same concerns.

Thank you for taking the time to help me get my thoughts straight.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I had actual situations arise that told me to leave. I left one brokerage because they wouldn't fight for my commission. They had 180 days to file for Arbitration/Mediation and I was completely willing to pay the fee. Only the Broker can do it. He kept telling me he would, and I kept reminding him... It got to the last month, the last week, the last day... nothing... I left the brokerage fairly quickly after that, after doing a lot of research for the next brokerage....

But, I went to the wrong place. I was told a BUNCH of lies to get me to go there. I questioned all the information and they told me everything I wanted to hear. 3 months later, I asked about all the promises... 6 months... 9 months... at a year, I was like WTF?? My broker point-blank told me he lied to get me to come over because he wanted my production, yadda yadda... I was gone within 3 days.

I've been licensed 18 years. I don't care much about "what's greener on the other side". I just want to be left alone to do my business. Don't lie to me, and we'll be good. I'm not looking at leaving unless someone drastic happens.
I certainly can’t say I blame you for leaving your previous brokerages.

I don’t understand why the broker wouldn’t help you file to get paid. That would be a straw that broke my back too.

I’m glad you’re happy where you’re at.

I have to figure out why I’m even thinking this way. I love my independence and ability to run my business the way I want to.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:46 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I certainly can’t say I blame you for leaving your previous brokerages.

I don’t understand why the broker wouldn’t help you file to get paid. That would be a straw that broke my back too.

I’m glad you’re happy where you’re at.

I have to figure out why I’m even thinking this way. I love my independence and ability to run my business the way I want to.
"I love my independence and ability to run my business the way I want to."

Are you generating all your own business, or is the office feeding you business?
If the former:
Learn all you can where you are.
Build your brand.
Get your brokers license.
Go independent and learn the real meaning of independence, because then you will really run your business the way you want to.

If the latter, learn to generate your own business independently of the office and brand.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"I love my independence and ability to run my business the way I want to."

Are you generating all your own business, or is the office feeding you business?
If the former:
Learn all you can where you are.
Build your brand.
Get your brokers license.
Go independent and learn the real meaning of independence, because then you will really run your business the way you want to.

If the latter, learn to generate your own business independently of the office and brand.
Hello, yes I generate all of my own business.

I feel as though I still have a lot to learn. I learn something new just about every day. It’s been challenging and confusing at times but I’m working through it all. I have great support at home and an agent in the office is available for questions that I can’t figure out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals