Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:09 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,837,360 times

Advertisements

Are lawyers usually involved in sales transactions?

In NYC, they are heavily involved. But my sister owns property in Philly, and she says they are not involved at all.

I am wondering what it is like in other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 12:12 PM

6,428 posts, read 10,260,812 times
Technically, they can be involved in any state or required in some states. In Florida, not as much but not uncommon.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:35 PM

3,605 posts, read 7,887,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Are lawyers usually involved in sales transactions?
I am wondering what it is like in other states.

Sometimes, the same, sometimes different.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,298,124 times
Some states are attorney states where each party has an attorney and they are very involved. Most of those, as I understand it, are in the Eastern part of the country.

Other states are NOT attorney states but title company states. Lots of western states are title company states. Which doesn't meant attorneys aren't involved, they just work for/own the title companies, work for the state licensing board, state real estate boards, that kind of thing. In Texas, we're a title company state, and if an attorney is closely involved it virtually always means that something has gone very very wrong.

Every state is different as far as real estate law goes, though. Your mileage will almost certainly vary depending on where you are.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:54 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,057,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Some states are attorney states where each party has an attorney and they are very involved. Most of those, as I understand it, are in the Eastern part of the country.
This is true in the state of Georgia. Even refinancing and home equity loans are attorney involved in Georgia.

I have never been involved in a transaction where the closing attorney/real estate attorney wrote the offer/contract.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:08 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,308,808 times
We don't use attorneys for normal real estate transactions here. They are involved in development projects or other complicated real estate situations.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:41 PM

6,356 posts, read 5,448,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Other states are NOT attorney states but title company states. Lots of western states are title company states. Which doesn't meant attorneys aren't involved, they just work for/own the title companies, work for the state licensing board, state real estate boards, that kind of thing. In Texas, we're a title company state, and if an attorney is closely involved it virtually always means that something has gone very very wrong.

Every state is different as far as real estate law goes, though. Your mileage will almost certainly vary depending on where you are.
Close but not quite.

My state is an "attorney state". The buyer in the transaction selects a closing attorney. The attorney technically represents the buyer but carries out both sides of the closing transaction (fortunately; this is usually at separate times and the buyers and sellers are not at the table together).

Old 07-24-2018, 02:54 PM

3,805 posts, read 9,302,051 times
Attorney States: NY, NJ, NH, GA, NC, IL(?), and that's about it.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:04 PM

10,940 posts, read 21,914,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Close but not quite.

My state is an "attorney state". The buyer in the transaction selects a closing attorney. The attorney technically represents the buyer but carries out both sides of the closing transaction (fortunately; this is usually at separate times and the buyers and sellers are not at the table together).
SC is also an attorney state and they fulfill essentially the same role as the title company, as described by Nick. They aren't involved in the contracts, they just handle the closing/title processes. Usually there is only one attorney but occasionally the seller will also hire their own. In SC it is common practice for the buyer and seller to be present together at signing (except the coast/vacation destinations where they are normally mail aways for at least one party) though a few attorneys opt to meet the buyer and seller separately. Closings with a mortgage involved usually take an hour and cash about 15 minutes.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:20 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,837,360 times
In NYC, the title company, and sellers attorney, plus buyers attorneys, and sometimes the broker is there at closing. I think sometimes the financing entities' attorney is there too or often times the closing is done at the financial entities' attorney's office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals