Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 09:57 PM

420 posts, read 468,868 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to help someone out. The contract appears as if there's really no way around it unless a lawyer actually gets involved? My curiosity is, are those companies advertising their service regarding getting people out of timeshare, does it work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 06:24 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
I'm trying to help someone out. The contract appears as if there's really no way around it unless a lawyer actually gets involved? My curiosity is, are those companies advertising their service regarding getting people out of timeshare, does it work?
No for the most part those companies are just ways to scam people easily scammed out of more money. If they ask for money up front for the promise to possibly help you out of a timeshare it's a scam. The only real way is to stop paying and not worry about what happens or keep paying forever.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:45 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Once the original purchase price is all paid for and all that remains is the monthly maintenance fee, you can usually give it away for free to someone who will agree to take over the maintenance fee.

Look on ebay to see all the timeshares being given away.

Try some creativity. I once considered buying one because I lived very close and members could use the facilities all year. Just the town house was limited to one week. There was a gorgeous pool, weight room, lots of goodies, and the maintenance fee was cheap for the use of all the equipment all year.

So if the timeshare is set up that way, maybe someone who lives close to it might be interested.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:11 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,483,869 times
Timeshare exit team..... is the company Dave Ramsey recommends, so chances are it is legit.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:24 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
Timeshare exit team..... is the company Dave Ramsey recommends, so chances are it is legit.
I'd like to hear from anyone who uses this timeshare exit team that Ramsey recommends. Ramsey also recommends high cost mutual fund purveyors that are the worst possible fund choices that are a total ripoff for his listeners.

Last edited by fumbling; 07-30-2018 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 01:00 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post

I would presume just the opposite based on the other services he recommends (all for a hefty fee).

Sometime you can donate a timeshare, sometimes you can pay a charitable group to take it.

I would check the forum on the timeshare users group and find out what others have done.
The First Timeshare Website on the Internet | Timeshare Users Group

Old 07-30-2018, 02:28 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
My in laws got scammed out of thousands of dollars trying to get rid of their time share. They eventually passed away and their kids inherited that mess.

We tried everything to rid ourselves of that albatross, giving it away, donating it etc, no one would take it without a substantial payment.

We finally pleaded with the sellers of the thing to take it back, they reluctantly agreed due to the death of the original owners.

There are hundreds of them for sale or for free and for good reason.

Try giving it back to the original sellers with some kind of hardship story and maybe the threat of a law suit.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:29 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Die ?

Old 07-31-2018, 09:11 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
My in laws got scammed out of thousands of dollars trying to get rid of their time share. They eventually passed away and their kids inherited that mess.

We tried everything to rid ourselves of that albatross, giving it away, donating it etc, no one would take it without a substantial payment.

We finally pleaded with the sellers of the thing to take it back, they reluctantly agreed due to the death of the original owners.

There are hundreds of them for sale or for free and for good reason.

Try giving it back to the original sellers with some kind of hardship story and maybe the threat of a law suit.
Are you able to decline an inheritance? That timeshare is not an asset, it is a perpetual albatross of obligation, so it seems if no one heirs accept it, that is how a timeshare would be slayed?

Old 07-31-2018, 09:20 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethnicappalachian View Post
In attempts to dump our timeshare 10 years ago, none of those companies offered a viable solution.

I called the resort to find out our options, and we ended up just signing the deed back over to them.

Although we spent a considerable sum of money on purchasing the timeshare itself, the annual maintenance and membership fees, we received nothing when we signed it back over to them - it was simply worth it to us for it to go away.

Never. Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals