Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 04:59 PM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times

Advertisements

If a potential buyer tells you they want 3 bedrooms, garage and a basement.

On TV, the realtor will take them to homes without all 3 requested criteria. Surely there are homes for sale that have all 3 when buying in a huge city. It seems they never take them to a home that has all things that are important to them. If a person really wants a garage then take them to a house with a garage. Why take them to a house without? Aren't you wasting their time?

Or buyers tell you their budget is 200,000 yet the seller takes them to homes selling for 300,000.

Why?

On Property Brothers, the buyers make a bid to buy. But while renovating there is a leak here, foundation problems, wiring issues, etc. Do they not do an inspection? This one show today, the buyers asked for an inspection as that was important to them. It didn't matter because while renovating, they had so many issues. I'm thinking to myself, well what good was the inspection then?

Maybe these issues are just to make the show more interesting. lol

Also, the property brothers renovate and the home will have all this new furniture. The buyers will fall in love with this piece and that piece. Isn't that just staging furniture?

ETA: Now I'm watching a show where the buyer purchased for 750,000 and the twins are renovating. Come to find out the twins just gave the buyers the news that their just purchased home is riddled with asbestos. This has to be done for dramatics since any sane person would get an inspectionl.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 08-19-2018 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 05:32 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post

This has to be done for dramatics ...
^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 08-20-2018, 10:15 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Maybe these issues are just to make the show more interesting. lol

That said, they do cover issues that buyers and sellers need to think about when buying, so it can be a valuable exercise, watching these shows.

The truth is, many times there AREN'T homes available that have ALL the items on a client's wish list within their price range, and compromises have to be made. That's good for buyers to know.

And even if you get a home inspection, surprises and unknown problems WILL pop up on every house and every project. It's a law. That's also good for buyers to know.

Beyond that, it's just people pretending to look at homes they have already made a decision on, and all the dialogue is made up. Some rings sortof true, some doesn't.

It's a way for me to spend Saturday morning watching TV and still feel like I'm accomplishing something.... It's continuing education and market research! Sounds good to me

Old 08-20-2018, 03:07 PM

4,614 posts, read 7,535,442 times
Keep in mind that ALL of these types of shows are scripted to some extent, some probably more than others. I read an article about this recently. These home "buyers" must apply to be on the shows, and when they apply they are asked the address of the home they are wanting renovated. So the buyers have either already purchased or are in the process of purchasing the home in question. The showings and bickering about which home to buy are all drama for the cameras.

In the article an applicant for the Property Brothers show said that the show required a 20% contingency fund up front for potential issues found during the renovation. So the show expects that once they start tearing into walls, plumbing, electrical, etc that issues will likely be found. Keep in mind that home inspections only cover what the home inspector can see on the day of the inspection. A lot of what comes up on the show was probably found by the home buyer's inspector. But it makes for better drama for the show to have the homeowners "surprised" by what is discovered.

As to the furniture, I found it interesting that on some of these shows the home buyers don't actually get to keep the fabulously staged furniture (Fixer Upper was one where they don't). At least on Property Brothers the participants get to keep the furniture after the cameras stop rolling.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:49 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
That show has as much to do with reality as Judge Judy and Survivor.

Oh, wait, you thought Survivor was real?

Those people look like they are starving around the campfire but as soon as the director cuts for the day they are off to the catering truck for a snack then on to their rooms at the nearby resort hotel.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:50 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,941 times
Many of these shows are pretty fake. They film the episode after they have picked their house. Then they go back and film them looking through other homes they were never interested in anyway. This is common in these types of shows, as they got busted a while back.

Besides, I would never look at any house without looking at it online first. If it didn't have what I wanted in it, I wouldn't waste my time seeing it in person.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:16 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
You are saying a Judge Judy is not real?
You are blocked!

Old 08-22-2018, 06:57 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
That show has as much to do with reality as Judge Judy and Survivor.

Oh, wait, you thought Survivor was real?

Those people look like they are starving around the campfire but as soon as the director cuts for the day they are off to the catering truck for a snack then on to their rooms at the nearby resort hotel.
that is definitely not true about survivor. you don't lose 40-50, one guy even 80 lbs that quick by eating when the cameras aren't on.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:40 AM

716 posts, read 557,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

You know this how?

Old 08-22-2018, 01:31 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Info about the Property Brothers show.

https://thescottbrothers.com/faq/

As for the "surprise" issues - I'd guess most were known ahead of time with the drama played up for TV. But I would also assume that in some cases, there really was a surprise hidden behind the walls that would not have been seen during a home inspection.

I actually appreciate that they make it clear that there are always going to be unknowns when it comes to doing work on your house, all renos have to include a fairly hefty contingency amount in the budget, and you'll also need to end up making trade offs and cutting here and there to make it all work. I think that's a good lesson for any homeowner.

But I do like that the finished product is what the homeowners end up with, including the furniture. I especially like when there is an existing piece that they incorporate into the design. I have a few items that I will absolutely have in any home I live in for the rest of my life and while I won't be going on TV to find out, it's fun to think about how a designer might incorporate them into a project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals