Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 05:03 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I am curious how effective open houses are, other than to have the nosy neighbors in. I have read they are just a way for realtors to farm clients as opposed to really selling anything. What are your thoughts? I am more curious about homes on the upper end of the price spectrum.
It depends on the market and market conditions. For higher priced homes, they don't help in my area because most people at higher price points work with agents and prefer private showings.

They weren't on my marketing plan for a long time, but I added them back about a year and a half ago because we were having so many agents come down from Portland to Salem. We are a different MLS system and it was problematic to get them into homes since we have different keybox systems so I started doing open houses the first weekend to get all of the local buyers using out of town agents inside the home in an easy way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 06:30 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,502,913 times
We bought 2 in recent years through an open house.
We sold 1 in this year in an open house.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:00 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Doing an Open House on Sunday, if Hurricane Flow doesn't object. Vacant home.
Not looking real good for that open house on Sunday, Mike. Hope you've managed to stay dry and unbattered.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:08 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
We sold a house after someone came in at the spur of the moment to an open house, and we made an offer on a house after visiting one. It's NOT just for nosy neighbors.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:08 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Open house story. Fellow selling a $500K home. His agent says 6% commission but if she lists and sells it, a 4% commission.

Have one Open House on a Sunday. Another scheduled the next Sunday. Agent calls on Friday and say she has a family emergency. She says we can cancel the Open House or she will have someone from her office cover for her.

Live buyer comes through. Makes an offer. Agreement made. Sales procedure begins. Fellow sees 6% commission. Calls his agent and says you said 4% if you listed and sold it. She says I did not sell it, the agent from my office covering the Open House is the selling (procuring) agent.

Fellow assumed the person covering for her was not an agent. He feels he was cheated out of 2% or $10K.

Agents defend this practice. I cannot defend it. It is trickery. Say what you wish, but trickery.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:25 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Open house story. Fellow selling a $500K home. His agent says 6% commission but if she lists and sells it, a 4% commission.

Have one Open House on a Sunday. Another scheduled the next Sunday. Agent calls on Friday and say she has a family emergency. She says we can cancel the Open House or she will have someone from her office cover for her.

Live buyer comes through. Makes an offer. Agreement made. Sales procedure begins. Fellow sees 6% commission. Calls his agent and says you said 4% if you listed and sold it. She says I did not sell it, the agent from my office covering the Open House is the selling (procuring) agent.

Fellow assumed the person covering for her was not an agent. He feels he was cheated out of 2% or $10K.

Agents defend this practice. I cannot defend it. It is trickery. Say what you wish, but trickery.
Only thing that matters is how the listing contract reads. I can't imagine the listing contract said "anyone in my office" nor can I imagine she said that. He may have inferred that. If she wrote it the way I do, it read "If 1insider brings a buyer with no other broker involvement, total commission owed (1insider's brokerage) will be 4%."

Note that it doesn't say "anyone from 1insider's brokerage".

Old 09-15-2018, 08:38 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Not looking real good for that open house on Sunday, Mike. Hope you've managed to stay dry and unbattered.
We are high and dry.

Yeah, the open house is just hardly 50/50 right now.
I think I could get some traffic. I think I could get a listing tracked up with wetness.
And, it may just be too gloomy to show its best.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:41 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

But, this is not an open house story, except that the property sold to open house viewers.

You have a commission story, which hardly fits into the question, "Do Open Houses sell homes?"
In this case, the answer is, "Yes."

Old 09-15-2018, 12:33 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,521,736 times
I've sold quite a few from the open house. Usually if they have an agent, they will see it at open house without their agent, then come back a couple days later with agent, then write the offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals