Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 07:50 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
In our market, a property has to be off the market 90 days before the DOM counter will reset.

If it expires, or is cancelled and listed again within 90 days, I think the DOM counter picks up where it left off. Not sure what it does with the gap days... never really paid attention.

Again, the counter is automatic. It's not something that can be fudged.
This is how it works in my MLS. However, it's 60 days off market for the counter to reset here. It used to be 90 a few years ago. However, they trimmed it back.

This being said, I still see tons of people try to cheat the DOM counter. Not too often in the last few years since 90% of the listings sell in a weekend in this town. However, over the years I've seen things like . . .

The listing agent writes in the address as 42 MELR0SE AVENUE instead of 42 MELROSE AVENURE. I wondered at first why she had put it all in CAPS until I tried to bring up a map of the house to see where exactly on the street it was. If you didn't catch it the "O" has been replaced with a zero to trick the system into thinking it's a different address. I was happy to click the "report violation" button when I saw that.

There was an agent around here who listed a lot of new construction and he would often list it when it was just dirt. So, the DOM counter would often grow long on these homes. To avoid this, he would list the house's address as Lot 42 Melrose Ave intially. Then when the house reaches a certain level of completion the listing is canceled and new listing is entered with the address 42 Melrose Ave. FYI, we don't get new subdivisions this close to Boston. The area is pretty much fully developed. So, these are teardowns with street addresses that have been in use for decades. There's no reason to do this at all except to trick the DOM counter. Eventually our MLS wised up to this and the system catches it now.

I would say the DOM counter is probably the biggest issue with data accuracy in our MLS. Sure, there are agents who are sloppy or stupid and put incorrect info in their listings. However, even the worst agents seem to get the data entry 99% right. I do have to say my personal home when I bought it was listed as having forced hot air heating and it has hot water baseboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So, I don't like that my listing backs up to the railroad tracks, so I drag the pointer across the street, or 100 yards across the neighborhood.

Or, I am so dull, I cannot find my listing on a map, so I let the pointer stay in the wrong place.
I have seen map pointers 10 miles away in the wrong county.

The first is a cheat.
The second is incompetence, but the result is similar.

Side note, which is probably not a cheat, just dull...
It is amazing how many listing agents cannot give accurate driving instructions in the MLS to locate their listings.
Wrong streets. Non-existent turns. "Use your GPS, because I have no clue what I am doing."
So in your MLS you have to drop a pin in a map to identify the property location? That's interesting. My MLS is integrated with both Google Maps and Bing maps. So you just click a little icon and it feeds the mapping website the address. The downside to that is if it's a new street or if there are two streets in town with similar names then the mapping site usually has no idea where it is.

I have to say that it's a pet peeve of mine as well when the listing agent writes "use GPS" in the directions field. I still see some of them write "use Mapquest." Does that site even still exist? Regardless, it's just lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 08:13 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
This is how it works in my MLS. However, it's 60 days off market for the counter to reset here. It used to be 90 a few years ago. However, they trimmed it back.

This being said, I still see tons of people try to cheat the DOM counter. Not too often in the last few years since 90% of the listings sell in a weekend in this town. However, over the years I've seen things like . . .

The listing agent writes in the address as 42 MELR0SE AVENUE instead of 42 MELROSE AVENURE. I wondered at first why she had put it all in CAPS until I tried to bring up a map of the house to see where exactly on the street it was. If you didn't catch it the "O" has been replaced with a zero to trick the system into thinking it's a different address. I was happy to click the "report violation" button when I saw that.

There was an agent around here who listed a lot of new construction and he would often list it when it was just dirt. So, the DOM counter would often grow long on these homes. To avoid this, he would list the house's address as Lot 42 Melrose Ave intially. Then when the house reaches a certain level of completion the listing is canceled and new listing is entered with the address 42 Melrose Ave. FYI, we don't get new subdivisions this close to Boston. The area is pretty much fully developed. So, these are teardowns with street addresses that have been in use for decades. There's no reason to do this at all except to trick the DOM counter. Eventually our MLS wised up to this and the system catches it now.

I would say the DOM counter is probably the biggest issue with data accuracy in our MLS. Sure, there are agents who are sloppy or stupid and put incorrect info in their listings. However, even the worst agents seem to get the data entry 99% right. I do have to say my personal home when I bought it was listed as having forced hot air heating and it has hot water baseboards.

So in your MLS you have to drop a pin in a map to identify the property location? That's interesting. My MLS is integrated with both Google Maps and Bing maps. So you just click a little icon and it feeds the mapping website the address. The downside to that is if it's a new street or if there are two streets in town with similar names then the mapping site usually has no idea where it is.

I have to say that it's a pet peeve of mine as well when the listing agent writes "use GPS" in the directions field. I still see some of them write "use Mapquest." Does that site even still exist? Regardless, it's just lazy.
The listing agent is responsible for the representation, or misrepresentation, whichever it may be.
Neither Bing nor Google are 100% accurate or reliable, and particularly in an area like Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary NC where new construction subdivisions spread like plague..

I can't legitimately say, "Blame Google."
Whether we drag the pin 1 lot, or 1000 feet, or just accept the mapping, we are responsible for the representation we make to the market.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:50 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

In our MLS new-construction listings are (as of this year) allowed to not accumulate DOM. I'm personally not a huge fan of this and was told by an MLS rep that the rule change was made to encourage/incentivize more builders to put their listings in MLS instead of just having them on their own websites. Sure I guess.

I was also told that the particular listing I noticed that prompted my creation of this thread was considered "new construction"...despite being built in 2009, used as a model home, and leased to a tenant from the builder (never heard of that before)....hence it's "0 DOM" status is technically allowed. Yikes.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:06 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Curious as to what others' experience has been with blatantly inaccurate data in their MLS and how strict they are to correct things.

I've seen lots of relatively minor things that could be chalked up to a simple mistake ( for ex.; claims of MBR on first floor when that is clearly not the case). However yesterday I came across a listing that has been active since July (obvious by the MLS number being behind what new listings are) with the current agent after having expired from a previous listing with another agent with 325 DOM per MLS history.

DOM and CDOM both listed as 0. Home was built and first sold in 2009 so definitely not new construction.

I have a client who really likes it but it makes me wary to deal with a seller/LA who may have other shady practices.

Reported to MLS data integrity and very curious to see what they say/do. Seems like a pretty blatant and serious violation I would assume.

Anyone have similar experiences with blatant inaccuracies in MLS and does your local MLS have any recourse?
Games will always be played. One we see a lot are price drops 1k at a time. This is so that the home continually makes the hot sheet. While its a ploy that has gained a little popularity, it's just too much work for me. I'd rather research the property and price it right to begin with.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:50 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Games will always be played. One we see a lot are price drops 1k at a time. This is so that the home continually makes the hot sheet. While its a ploy that has gained a little popularity, it's just too much work for me. I'd rather research the property and price it right to begin with.
Another thing I see pretty regularly on opendoor listings. I know some agents are terrified of OD being the big “game changer”.....but if the moronic practice of buying houses for slightly under market value and then turning around and listing them for stupidly inflated prices doesn’t end them....the first big lawsuit they get from a buyer going after them for misrepresentation likely will.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:37 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Another thing I see pretty regularly on opendoor listings. I know some agents are terrified of OD being the big “game changer”.....but if the moronic practice of buying houses for slightly under market value and then turning around and listing them for stupidly inflated prices doesn’t end them....the first big lawsuit they get from a buyer going after them for misrepresentation likely will.
There was a heady debate recently whether some "disruptors" were funded with weed money to launder the cash...
A loss is just overhead....

Old 10-08-2018, 07:53 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,488,859 times
If I remember right our CDOM here in North Texas resets after 30 days off market.

Funny I had the "See GPS" argument with a younger agent recently. As she told another agent inputting a listing to use that. I said I would fire you if you were my agent and did that. They were appalled. Who doesn't use their phone for directions they asked. Me ....and if my phone goes dead and I don't know the directions I want directions on my print out. They they looked at me like I was crazy that I print the listings out before showing. I said if the directions aren't there and my phone or dead or has lost the signal I'm not showing the house. Their response was, if they can't use the GPS, they're not showing the house.

New school vs old school I guess, but I'm not taking chances with my seller's listings. I ALWAYS put in great directions. Just in case tech fails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals