Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:32 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I'm going off topic in my own thread...

I have to say, my hats off to the REALTORS that stick with this business. I've only been doing this for a year and I have been fairly successful considering what's going on. My background is management and marketing and consider myself to be an honest, ethical, hard working person. My number one goal in every job, including this has been to give excellent customer service and make sure my clients are happy. This has been difficult for only one reason, because of other agents. I has no idea how many bad ones were out there and it's such a hard job when you are one of the few doing a good job. I really don't know how people stay in this business, especially when it's so expensive, very hard work at times, long hours and having to deal with the horrible unprofessonal other agents.

This thread was not to cause trouble for someone and I'm not upset over one little thing that happened. A lot of things happened, including me having to take a reduced commission to get the deal to closing because of someone lying. Also, dealing with a listing agent that had the listing wrong on the MLS and filling out his end of the contract wrong and me (who is still new) having to catch all this stuff.

This is not the only deal like this, almost every deal I've had has been nickled and dimed to death with me having to cut my commission. If I figured out the hours it took to do the work on some of them, I made about .50 cents an hour. The agent on the other end almost always causes me to do twice as much work because they didn't do their job. Anyway, I can keep going on and I'm not trying to bash anyone but I'm just in shock of how bad it is. I'm so disappointed after all the classes and training I've gone through, money I've spent to find out this is it.
Here's another post which I wish each and every person considering a career in Real Estate would read. Those contemplating a part time RE career, I'd have 'em read it twice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:52 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,257 times
I believe the note was, while not an actual breach of the Article, a blatant attempt to get in touch with those clients. If they truly had those buyers "best wishes" in mind....the note would have come after they had moved into their new home...not before.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,986 times
More to the story, I suspect and bet you asked the client before you started, do you have an agent and once you learned that, than you did nothing wrong. It seems you were the lucky one, and I agree that your broker should know, just to keep it professional, and for sure to hope the client will feel good about using you in the future. How long did the first agent work for them, and if you feel like you sound, then I would talk to other agent, and do the right thing, as we need as many friends in our profession, and you will probably need to work with her again down the road.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:49 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,149 times
Quote:
then I would talk to other agent, and do the right thing, as we need as many friends in our profession, and you will probably need to work with her again down the road.
Exactly. Especially inter-office. I don't know why the name of the original agent was kept from the broker to begin with...why not just put it out there, offer either to work the customer together or to offer some sort of referral fee? It was an office walk in.
But. I'm assuming it's all be handled now.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:55 PM

24 posts, read 92,303 times
I think even doing the mailouts with the disclaimer is a lousy thing to do, yet some agents mail them purposefully to sellers whose property is listed. It's sort of like when, in the courtroom, a witness makes a statement and the judge tells the jury to forget what they just heard. Huh? When someone tells you not to think of Elephant, what immediately comes to mind? If an agent sends Ma and Pa Kettle a sweet, glossy, full-size shot of SMILING AGENT SUZY (or TOMMY) in front of their neighbor's house she/he had listed (and you probably sold!) that has a SOLD sign on it... do you think Ma and Pa are going to forget about that just because it has the disclaimer on the bottom? You can bet your commission check that they'll say something to you about it. Or, worse yet, they WON'T and they'll just mention it to everyone else they know.
It is unethical, straight up, to contact another agent's seller when there is an exclusive right to sell agreement. There may be loop holes, but it is still unethical.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:18 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,149 times
There is nothing you stated an agent doing that is unethical according to NAR. I'm not quite sure what rules of ethics you are referring to. There is no way of knowing when doing a mailing who does and does not have a contract. There is also nothing unethical about soliciting future business including that of someone who presently has a listing contract. It is also not unethical to send a post card to everyone when one of your listings is sold...you participated in the sale, therefor you have every right to put that out there.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:35 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
There is nothing you stated an agent doing that is unethical according to NAR. I'm not quite sure what rules of ethics you are referring to. There is no way of knowing when doing a mailing who does and does not have a contract. There is also nothing unethical about soliciting future business including that of someone who presently has a listing contract. It is also not unethical to send a post card to everyone when one of your listings is sold...you participated in the sale, therefor you have every right to put that out there.
Palmcoasting is right on. In fact the rules are spelled out. You cannot mail to someones listing as the target, or just mail to listed properties.

You can target a community and that can include any homes that happen to be listed in that community. Your mailing list record will show that you targeted a community as opposed to someones listing.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:18 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Thumbs up, Palmcoasting. I tried to give you some rep points, and I thought I'd been spreading the love around, but evidentally the C-D power point system didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals