Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 08:26 PM

222 posts, read 1,052,373 times

Advertisements

Does the Homestead Tax Credit convey with the home?

If a house is on the market and the current owners do not get the homestead tax credit, is there a way to get it somehow? A house I am looking at in MD has a 2007 assessment of $318k and they pay $4500 per year, no homestead tax credit. Another house with a similar floor plan is assessed at $321k and they pay $3100 with the tax credit. They have phase-in assessments for 2008 of $370k and $380k respectively. I am wondering if the new owner of the former house will have to pay the full amount of the taxes whereas the new owner of the latter will pay only 10% more than this year's $3100. Is there a way to lower the tax bill on the former? It seems ridiculous that one new owner may have to pay so much more, especially since the selling prices of these two houses will be closer to the 2007 assessment (my guess is ~$325k).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 10:42 AM

160 posts, read 799,900 times
If you're going to live in the house all you have to do is apply for the credit. Here's more info MD Homestead Tax Credit

Old 04-07-2008, 12:09 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,366,868 times
Try this link for information

Real Property Search

You can look up the assessment value on a property that you might look at.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:23 PM

222 posts, read 1,052,373 times
I've got that assessment and the county tax bills too, but I see some houses with practically the same assessment with totally different total payments. Some get $1000+ credit on a $4500 bill, some $500, some no $. Since taxes make a huge difference in what we pay each month, the actual amount our bill will be is very important. We can afford more house if the bill is lower, and since we are looking at the lowest priced houses in the area, any little more more house we can afford gives us more choice.

When you buy a house, if you qualify for the tax credit, do you just pay 10% more than the previous owner if they have the tax credit?

I am just so confused as to why some people get over $1000 off their tax bill, others only $500, when their actual taxes are based on the same assessment. I want to know if I should look to get a house where the owner pays less this year so I will pay less (then others) next year.

I hope I am explaining this clearly...

TIA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals