Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:24 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,733,821 times

Advertisements

Are there agents on here that work for builders or that have in the past? I'm talking about large companies like Centex or DR Horton.

Would you mind giving me some comparisons to working for them and working for a Real Estate company. Is it hard to get in with a builder? Do they pay a salary, plus commission? Are there negatives and what are they? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 12:23 PM

422 posts, read 1,360,257 times
Hi there. I do work for a builder and always have. I tried General Brokerage before and I wasn't really into it.

I work for a small privatley owned builder now, but I was with KB for years.

There is pros and cons for each.

Working for a builder, I do not get a salary, but I get a draw. They pay me about 3000 a month, and once my houses close, I get my commission. However, I need to pay off my draw that I owe first. It takes most people a year to get out of draw... and then after that- Its great $$$$$.

Each builders commission rate is different. Mine is 1.75%. So I sell a 250k home, I get 4,375. And I do not split that with anyone. And I have health insurance, 401k etc...

The negative is always working weekends. It wears on you.

I am a licensed Broker as well. And a lot of builders nowadays require that. And thats a good thing.

Another thing about working for a builder is, I do not pay for any marketing and customers actually walk through my door.

There is nothing wrong with General Brokerage either.... I think your better off having one of the fine Agents here on this board give you scoop.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:06 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,733,821 times
Helps a lot, thanks. I'm guessing not all builders pay the same or the same way.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 AM

422 posts, read 1,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Helps a lot, thanks. I'm guessing not all builders pay the same or the same way.
No, I think they all pay differently.... especially depending on where you are in the US. KB's pay was about the same that I do now.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 57,785 times
Default looking for advise

Iv been trying to get in with a builder. Iv sent my resume to DR Horton, Pulte and KB homes, last week. I was hoping for some advise on getting an In,or what are they looking for. I read your post and you seam to have been doing this for a while. I haven't been doing real estate long ( under a year ) but I'm excited to learn if just given the chance. Iv completed 4 transactions within my first 2 months. but I want to work for a builder can you give me any advise?
thanks
Bianca

Old 10-01-2013, 02:27 PM

1,759 posts, read 5,117,466 times
I work for a national, although not in sales. We pay a draw plus commission. I don't believe ours have to be licensed. Previously I was licensed and working in resales. Can't say I miss it a bit.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:51 PM

186 posts, read 468,504 times
I have worked for local, regional and national builders. All in the northeast. Sometimes I was paid by the marketing company that represented the builder, and then other times I was compensated by the builder directly. I was always paid by a salary and a commission. If we sold a lot that was very hard to sell, our commission was higher. On the sites that I worked at, we did all the selections as well. Sometimes there would be a % paid of the upgrades that were ordered.

If you trying to position yourself on a site as a "newbie," offer to be a greeter to start and work your way up.

You have to be ready to work every weekend and not just for a few hours on the weekend. It's all day! Your days off will be different than the majority of the people you know.

Personally, I enjoyed my experience doing site sales!

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2013, 01:51 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,302,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca780 View Post
Iv been trying to get in with a builder. Iv sent my resume to DR Horton, Pulte and KB homes, last week. I was hoping for some advise on getting an In,or what are they looking for. I read your post and you seam to have been doing this for a while. I haven't been doing real estate long ( under a year ) but I'm excited to learn if just given the chance. Iv completed 4 transactions within my first 2 months. but I want to work for a builder can you give me any advise?
thanks
Bianca
Hi Bianca,

I worked for both builders and general brokerage. Each has it's own pros/cons. If you specifically want to work for a builder, I would start by learning as much as you can about new construction. Perhaps you can join the local builders marketing and sales council through your regional realtors association. It's a great opportunity to network. Builder's will be cautious coming back into the real estate market and will look for the best candidates to represent them. What expertise can you can bring to them?? Be ready and good luck!

Old 10-05-2013, 12:16 AM

982 posts, read 3,475,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
You're right. Some pay a salary, or salary + bonus/commission. Some will do a draw or combination of the three.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:21 AM

982 posts, read 3,475,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Hi Bianca,

I worked for both builders and general brokerage. Each has it's own pros/cons. If you specifically want to work for a builder, I would start by learning as much as you can about new construction. Perhaps you can join the local builders marketing and sales council through your regional realtors association. It's a great opportunity to network. Builder's will be cautious coming back into the real estate market and will look for the best candidates to represent them. What expertise can you can bring to them?? Be ready and good luck!
Your best bet is to get in with a small builder rather than starting at the top. Something else to keep in mind is that builder's would rather not work with experienced agents. Resale and new construction are two completely different animals. Your real estate experience will help you understand the transaction process but it is a huge obstacle in closing clients and deals. From my experience, builders prefer someone with no experience that they can teach their way rather than try to "un-teach" all the stuff you learned in traditional real estate. I loved working with the builder I was with because I learned a lot and didn't have to do anything to attract clientele...but the downside is that I worked significantly harder for less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals