Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:10 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,773,215 times

Advertisements

Do realtors give out phone numbers they obtain from listings? I've gotten 2 phone calls from moving companies asking me to let them give me estimates. I never contacted any moving companies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 PM

43 posts, read 194,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Do realtors give out phone numbers they obtain from listings? I've gotten 2 phone calls from moving companies asking me to let them give me estimates. I never contacted any moving companies
We had the same thing happen. I don't think our house had been on the market 2 days, and we proceeded to get a postcard from a moving company every day for several weeks. I mentioned it to a realtor, who said some of them may have access to the MLS. Who knows. I also saw a carpet cleaning service stop in front of our house and take a flier. And within a week we had a postcard from them, too. Everyone wants in on the act.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
I don't, and I don't know any agents who do, for what it's worth.

But if your house is on the market, it's out there in the public eye (via Realtor.com, among other ways), and the tax records (also public records) can give the name of the owner of the property.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:56 PM

I realize my name and address are out there, but not my unlisted phone#. I have received postcards also. The phone calls are annoying, especially after 8pm.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,117,532 times
I am sure they just market off of the listings that are public. There may be some realtors that give them contacts but I wouldn't do that.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:45 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,287,788 times
Quote:
I know each region/state has different guidelines about setting up showings and the information that appears on the MLS. In my area, there are blanks for "owner's name" and "owner's phone number" on our MLS input, but typically we put "on file" of something similar in those fields. Of course the owner's name is easy enough to pull up off the county website, and the phone number could be obtained by looking it up (IF it's a listed number).

The only time I see owners phone numbers listed is if it's a limited service listing and the owner is to be contacted directly to set up showings. Otherwise all showing appt's are made by calling the listing company or listing agent.

If you have an unlisted number, then that number should NOT be available on any public site, including the MLS. If your phone number is listed in the MLS without your permission, then I think you need to make it clear to your agent that it is an unlisted number and you want to keep it that way.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM

thanks, appreciate the feedback!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,115,994 times
Quote:
Do realtors give out phone numbers they obtain from listings?
Depending upon the region - and local customs, there may be those who are affiliate members of the Multiple Listing Service who are, in the situation you describe, service providers - they may search the MLS for new listings -

Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 PM

10,891 posts, read 21,844,719 times
I don't know of any agents, nor do I personally, that give out private info like that. I know landscapers call me all the time.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:48 PM

233 posts, read 1,223,040 times
Nope, I would never give out someone's phone number. I, too, hate to be bothered by someone solicting me when I never intialized it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals