Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 02:33 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,880,482 times

Advertisements

My realtor is a nice, nice lady. I am looking to buy a house.

She seems dubious that anyone would want to buy a house in less than move in condition. I've told her many times about the various projects I've done on my own. I've tiled a bath, owned a pool, built flower beds and worked with a contractor for a $40K addition on my last house. A house that is now listed for 80% more than I paid for it. I know what I'm looking for. She isn't discouraging. She just doesn't seem to apply what she learns about me to what is available. initially she implied that although my stated budget was X, I'd probably end up with a house that is x+25%.

Once she was 20 mins late to a showing because she didn't have the address. She drove right past me standing in the driveway and didn't call until she was 18 minutes late. She seems to know little about the houses before we see them, as if she didn't even read the listing. Once I asked her about the process of buying land and building, she basically said she didn't know. Another time I asked to see a house, she didn't respond for 3 days. She was out of town. I didn't want to see the house asap, but I would have appreciated a heads up.

She texts me even though I email her exclusively because texts don't work in my building so I don't get them during my long workday.

On Tuesday, she didn't show up at all because she had misinterpreted my email and made an appointment for the wrong house. I had responded to an auto email for a different listing so it was an understandable mistake, but my message included the address in the body of the message and several unique details about the house, which again tells me she had not read the email thoroughly. The house she went to is above my stated price range and nothing like the one I wanted to see. ( She tried to call me but my phone was dead). The homeowner was home and showed me the house, which is exactly what I want.

On Wednesday I contacted a different mortgage broker (the first one flaked on me, unrelated story) and started another pre approval application. He contacted her. I contacted her about the broker. On Friday I asked her to make an appointment so she could see the house and help me figure out an offer. I told her I could see the house on Saturday pm, anytime sunday, or any day this week after work. She responded with a message about the mortgage broker, so I know she got it.

Here it is, 4:50 on Sunday afternoon. I haven't heard from her.

None of this is horrible. Should I find another realtor? If so, what do I say to her?

Last edited by Stagemomma; 04-28-2019 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 02:51 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,527,424 times
A good buyers agent will look out for your interests from start to finish. He or she will educate you on homes, neighborhoods, market prices. They will negotiate on your behalf. They will communicate with you throughout the entire process (in the manner in which YOU prefer), from home searches to financing to contracts to inspections to closing. They will manage the "minutiae" for you, watching out for pitfalls and problems.

Lastly, a good buyer's agent is one you feel you have connected with, whose opinion you value and someone you can trust.

Obviously your current agent is not meeting your needs, or you wouldn't have posted on this forum.

There are literally a hundred or more reasons why buyers want to change real estate agents, just are there are a hundred reasons why a real estate agent doesn't want to work with a particular customer. Not every agent/customer is a good fit. Also, all agents are not equal when it comes to skills, ability to communicate/listen, knowledge of the local market or particular neighborhoods, etc.

If you are no longer happy with your agent and no longer wish to work with the agent for whatever reasons (and you do not have a signed Buyers Agency Agreement in which you agreed in writing to work only through that agent for a specified time period), then it is really a simple matter of stating in writing (such as through an email) something to the effect that while you appreciate the time the agent has invested in your home buying process, you have decided to work with another agent. You may explain why you are switching agents or not, it is up to you.

Good luck in your home hunting process.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:49 PM

Ah, but I do have a signed agreement. Unfortunately I cleaned up for company and I don't know where it is and don't remember the length of the agreement. Dangit! I've texted the friend who went with me the day I signed it, hope she remembers....

Old 04-28-2019, 03:53 PM

I'm pretty sure that what I signed was a disclosure agreement, not a buyer's agent agreement.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:11 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
You should find a Realtor who gets you. Stop trying to get her to show you this house. It will complicate things if she goes to see it with you. Hopefully you didn't sign an agency agreement with her, but even if you did, she should let you out if you no longer want to work with her. It will take a conversation though, at least in email, severing ties, to be clear.

If you like the mortgage broker you're working with, ask him for a referral to a good buyer's agent who might fit you better.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:26 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I'm pretty sure that what I signed was a disclosure agreement, not a buyer's agent agreement.
That is significant.
You cannot write an offer with your buyers' agent without an agency agreement in place.
Be very clear on that point.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:53 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
If it was a purple pamphlet or a 4 page printout and you only had to initial/sign in one place....it was just the disclosure and you are not bound by anything.

If it was 6 pages of which you had to initial the first 5 and sign the last....it is a Buyer Agency Agreement.

If you are unhappy with the agent you are currently signed with and don't feel you are being properly represented; you can and absolutely should bring this up to her.

Hopefully she is receptive to your feedback and adjusts her working relationship with you accordingly and you are able to move forward with a mutual understanding of expectations.

If she isn't receptive or continues to give you sub-standard representation (which based on your description of events here so far...I'd say she is giving you sub-standard representation right now) ask for a termination of agency agreement. So long as you don't buy one of the houses she showed you within 30 days of the termination of said agreement.......you won't owe her a thing and you can find an agent that's a better fit.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:18 PM

I think Nick is right...I tend to be a bit passive and bail rather than offer genuine feedback with hope for improvement. We are going to see the house on Tuesday and if she doesn't look lively, I'll mention to her that I'm serious and hope she will be as focused on this as I am.

Thanks for listening!!!

Old 04-28-2019, 05:24 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
I think Nick is right...I tend to be a bit passive and bail rather than offer genuine feedback with hope for improvement. We are going to see the house on Tuesday and if she doesn't look lively, I'll mention to her that I'm serious and hope she will be as focused on this as I am.

Thanks for listening!!!
Be careful. Nick is in an ethical and/or technical gray area with his input. The "30 days" in particular is only discernable by reading any agency agreement.

You need a copy of everything you have signed to know what you have signed.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:24 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:

Thanks for listening!!!
Good luck!

This time of year is generally crazy busy in the RE world so hopefully she just needs to be reminded that you deserve the same level of service as her other clients. If she doesn't have any other clients right now....that may be another sign...

RE Mike's comment. Yes obviously you should thoroughly review your Buyer Agency agreement (if you indeed have one) to see what the conditions would be should you terminate. Aforementioned 30 day period is pretty typical but in theory they could have added extra provisions so again be sure to read it thoroughly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals