U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:34 AM

2,766 posts, read 4,880,267 times

Advertisements

I checked to see several days ago if Zillow had listed my home sold and it did and our agents name was not on it anymore but another unkown agents name was on it. On the listing was the same wording our first agent used and a lot of her listings. I e mailed our first agent and told her that her listings were on Zillow with another agents name. She e mailed me back saying it was OK since she gave the other agent these listings to post. I then e mailed her back saying our home was sold and to get her name off of my listing. She said she would. Friday I checked and it was still there. I e mailed that agent and she said she would take it off. It would take a few days. I checked today Tues and her name still says she is my agent. Is this legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:39 AM

13,749 posts, read 31,584,066 times
I'm a little confused. So the Zillow marketplace is showing your home as sold when you type in the address as it has closed and recorded, right?

But then your agent let another agent claim the listing as theirs after it was sold, but you no longer have a listing agreement with the agent because your house has sold?

If your house has indeed closed and recorded, then your listing contract is over, and the agent no longer has the rights to advertise the property. Most agent have some clause about being able to use the sold property in advertising such as on a personal website.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I'm a little confused. So the Zillow marketplace is showing your home as sold when you type in the address as it has closed and recorded, right?

But then your agent let another agent claim the listing as theirs after it was sold, but you no longer have a listing agreement with the agent because your house has sold?

If your house has indeed closed and recorded, then your listing contract is over, and the agent no longer has the rights to advertise the property. Most agent have some clause about being able to use the sold property in advertising such as on a personal website.

No I had two agents. The first we termenated and then we got a new agent who sold our home. The termenated agent gave some of her listings to another agent who now has her name on our sold house.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:21 AM

13,749 posts, read 31,584,066 times
Well that is definitely not legal. Since you terminated your listing agreement, she no longer has the right to sell the home, your new agent has it. So if she still has advertising with her name, or the other "approved" agent it needs to be removed ASAP. Now...you do need to give an agent some time to get all of their advertising offline. Some websites only update MLS info once a week, so it could in theory be in her name for a week during this overlap.

Zillow listings can be entered manually or via vflyer type of program. Those should be off quickly. Call her principal broker and ask for the advertising to be removed. I assume since you terminated your listing agreement that she wasn't doing what she needed to do. This seems to be no exception.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:28 AM

1,814 posts, read 5,144,925 times
HOLD ON....before you go blaming the agent, be aware that Zillow if VERY MESSED up. Even when people change their info...Zillow does not always reflect it. They get their info from other feeds. The best thing you can do if it bothers you so much on Zillow...which is useless anyway...post on their message boards and ask to have the agents name removed.

If you read the posts over at Zillow, you will find that TONS of people have issues with this.

Last edited by tamitrail; 05-05-2008 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-05-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Well that is definitely not legal. Since you terminated your listing agreement, she no longer has the right to sell the home, your new agent has it. So if she still has advertising with her name, or the other "approved" agent it needs to be removed ASAP. Now...you do need to give an agent some time to get all of their advertising offline. Some websites only update MLS info once a week, so it could in theory be in her name for a week during this overlap.

Zillow listings can be entered manually or via vflyer type of program. Those should be off quickly. Call her principal broker and ask for the advertising to be removed. I assume since you terminated your listing agreement that she wasn't doing what she needed to do. This seems to be no exception.
As I post this she or rather the other agent is taking it off of Zillow. I found this all out on 4/25 and my OLD agent said the only reason she gave my listing and others to Zillow was for more exposure. Why I ask since she has not been our agent since the 1st of DEC. Times are hard I know but play by the rules. She did many things wrong but the one thing was when we listed in Sept she showed us comps of homes that were still on the market. I told her and hubby that we were over priced and was told by her no we were priced to sell. Maybe a year ago we would have been priced to sell but at that time we were over priced. To me a realtor you hire to guide you in the sale of a home. She didn't.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
HOLD ON....before you go blaming the agent, be aware that Zillow if VERY MESSED up. Even when people change their info...Zillow does not always reflect it. They get their info from other feeds. The best thing you can do if it bothers you so much on Zillow...which is useless anyway...post on their message boards and ask to have the agents name removed.

If you read the posts over at Zillow, you will find that TONS of people have issues with this.
I know they are messed up but as soon as our home was sold our realtor's name was taken off and the the other agents name was on it. I also have saved all the e mails since I noticed it from both agents (the old one and the one she gave it to) . I really don't trust Zillow and I hadn't looked at it for a few months but when our home sold I wanted to see if Zillow had it sold.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:13 PM

I claimed my home on Zillow and my zestimate when way down. I got tired of their nonsense so I unclaimed my home...no later than a day, a realtor, who is listing vacant property on my street, claimed MY address as their vacant property. I don't think it was intentional. I think Zillow makes very easy to mess up.

If it really bothers, post a message on Zillow. They'll tell you where the info is coming from or they may be able to remove it themselves. Personally, I wouldn't care what Zillow has on their website. They are not good for anything.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
I claimed my home on Zillow and my zestimate when way down. I got tired of their nonsense so I unclaimed my home...no later than a day, a realtor, who is listing vacant property on my street, claimed MY address as their vacant property. I don't think it was intentional. I think Zillow makes very easy to mess up.

If it really bothers, post a message on Zillow. They'll tell you where the info is coming from or they may be able to remove it themselves. Personally, I wouldn't care what Zillow has on their website. They are not good for anything.

It only bothers me that another agent is taking credit for the sale. It has no effect on me or the sale of the house but don't you think the credit should go to the realtor that sold the house? This other agent is looking for sales but she is also falsely by putting her name as my agent saying she sold my house for her benefit.
By that agent who claimed your property she is hoping that someone calls and she can say your property is no longer listed but she has some property that the caller might be interested in. That is how some realtors are using Zillow.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:45 PM

Actually, there is no way anyone could relate my home to the one the agent listed. All of my details are gone and it references nothing to my house except the address and my house wasn't listed anywhere else. I'm happy it's this way because it's almost as if my house has been wiped off Zillow. Yay!

Hopefully, you'll get the issue resolved the way you want it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals