U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2008, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,122 times

Advertisements

What are the real pro's and Con's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 04:18 AM

3,283 posts, read 3,081,977 times
i would assume that you don't have wood rot, termite damage and mould with concrete block. i plan on building with concrete block and it would be interesting to find out what the potential hazards are if there are any.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:19 AM

3,283 posts, read 3,081,977 times
also less fire risk i would assume. any experts out there who can confirm?

Old 05-17-2008, 06:06 AM

9,125 posts, read 23,519,224 times
Pros to concrete block construction are termite/rot resistance and hurricane resistance (if reinforced properly). Cons are difficulty im making changes later (like adding a window), and cost.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:48 AM

4,094 posts, read 6,436,197 times
The blocks definitely cost more, but if you're using the ICF or SIP technology, the energy efficiency is great. They're definitely better than wood for termite resistance and fire hazard, but they're harder to build with and you have to make sure you have the right subs to do the job. I've seen untrained subs try to build with concrete and it takes forever and you end up with a bad product.

I also know green builders that can achieve the same energy efficiency with wood construction and upgraded insulation/wood windows/tech-shield/etc.

The above comment hit it dead on in that if you build with concrete, make darn sure you won't be making any changes a few years down the road, as it'd be incredibly difficult.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:55 AM

3,758 posts, read 7,013,165 times
I've seen very few 2 story all block homes in Florida. Most are block on the ground level and frame on the second level with stucco over both (or sometimes siding). It makes no sense to me...it must be the cost. Insurance is cheaper on a block home because they're supposedly more wind resistant.

IMO, the con on frame construction in Florida is the maintenance (termite, wood rot, etc.)

Old 02-10-2014, 10:03 AM

14 posts, read 13,624 times
Default You are correct TampaKaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I've seen very few 2 story all block homes in Florida. Most are block on the ground level and frame on the second level with stucco over both (or sometimes siding). It makes no sense to me...it must be the cost. Insurance is cheaper on a block home because they're supposedly more wind resistant.

IMO, the con on frame construction in Florida is the maintenance (termite, wood rot, etc.)
I'm sure you're not a structural engineer Karen but you know more than most builders. It does no tmake any sense to build a 2nd floor woof frame in top of block. Why do they di it then? Cost $$$ Its simply cheaper foe builders to build wood frame. I insisted my home be built with block on the 2nd floor. My builder did not want to at first but I insisted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals